Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
med1022

Slate appliances?

M Darnell
9 years ago
What does everyone think of the new Slate color from GE?
Passing fad or new standby?

Comments (115)

• km kane
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like the slate color. Actually, ANYTHING but stainless! Panel-ready is also a good idea. Appliances really break up the color and design of a kitchen.

• cmosterloh
    6 years ago
    Love our slate GE appliances with our final kitchen project
  • kmkane123
    6 years ago
    Sophie Wheeler. How are you feeling about slate appliances these days?
  • User
    6 years ago

GE is still the only maker. Which limits you to some pretty poor choices if you care about purchasing best in category for appliances. And they are still a fad without any widespread adoption.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I believe the slate color is painted on and it will scratch, but I would certainly call GE and ask them what the finish is.....

• km kane
    6 years ago

thanks Sophie. I do wish other manufacturers had more options.

• jnk4ever2gether
    5 years ago

I love this new color and feel it will go great with the neutral tans & browns

• mrstad
    5 years ago
    So pleased we went with slate appliances (and our gas ranges work amazingly!) love the bottom freezer option as well on the refrigerator!
  • mrstad
    5 years ago
    They look great!
  • km kane
    5 years ago
    Despite Sophie Wheeler’s advice, which I always respect, I just bought the refrig and range from GE. I waited four years for something else, but never found anything other than panel-ready, which I also love and did in my other home. I love the look of this set. Will post photos when the kitchen is done. I have other GE products and never had a problem. Maybe I’m just lucky!!
  • Kristen
    5 years ago
    I'm sure this is just a matter of personal preference - I do wish other manufacturers made the slate finish. But we just remodeled our kitchen and got the slate finish appliances and I love it! I'm so happy with it, I hope you are too!
  • judymn
    5 years ago
    beautiful mrstad!
  • Eric
    5 years ago

We recently went with the slate finish for our appliances. I understand the concern about the appliances dying off or not getting the best, but I can imagine they will eventually catch on. I noticed they are being pushed, with the problems of black stainless I hope they perservere.

• theresamflaherty
    5 years ago

We’ve had ours over a year and they are just as fabulous today as they were when they were delivered. I have 5 dogs, yes 5, and not a single scratch.

• HU-671514
    5 years ago

Hi all, thanks for all this information its been useful. I can get a floor model slate fridge ($2500 down to $1250) and a slate dishwasher for the same price of a stainless fridge. We need both and am considering buying the slate as it saves us close to $1000. I love the slate (style and the lack of fingerprints from our toddler) but I am slightly concerned it might not work with my stainless Viking range which we love! Can this work? The viking range has matte black knobs and the top is all matte black and the range will be separated from the slate dishwasher and fridge. Any ideas if I am way off base here?

• km kane
    5 years ago
    Of course slate will work with stainless! It’s still all in the gray black silver range. Besides our kitchen aren’t clothes outfits :-). In one of my kitchens I have a stainless Dacor range. it it’s the only thing that is stainless. I used panel ready for my refrigerator and dishwasher so they matched my cabinets. There was no way I was going to be able to do that to my range!
  • HU-671514
    5 years ago

Km kane thanks so much. You don't happen to have a photo of your kitchen handy do you? Trying to visualize. I do like the stainless handles on the fridge and dishwasher that I believe helps to tie it in.

• Jan
    5 years ago
    I too don’t like black appliances, looks like holes in the kitchen.
    My biggest beef is size. Why aren’t all refrigerators counter depth? When I replaced my fridge I looked at counter depth by accident. Didn’t know about them, what a difference it made! Of course I had to pay more but worth it.
    I did my kitchen for me since my hubby can’t cook, and certainly not for other people to look at. Some people want the wow factor......why. Do it for yourself!
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    I call it "dull stainless". Dull doesn't get smudged with big or little fingers so easily. It's no fad with my friends. Nobody has shiny stainless, and I prefer dull stainless to any color finish.
  • HU-671514
    5 years ago

I bought both the dishwasher and the fridge...thanks all for your advice while nervous about the final look I am excited! Save over $1200 and hoping to get a cool different look to the kitchen.

• dsciontijr
    5 years ago

Do you think the slate is more resistant to scratches than the black stainless appliances? I believe Frigidaire offers a smudge-proof /fingerprint proof stainless, which is another option. I love the look of the slate but I am concerned.... having kids, it may get scratched and then the stainless will be exposed underneath making it an eyesore. Would love any long term owners of the slate appliance feedback..

Thank you.

• Kristen
    5 years ago
    we put slate in our new kitchen - black stainless was our other consideration. I can't speak to the longevity of slate because we've only had them 2 months but we were advised that the black stainless finish chips off very easily (by our kitchen sales rep). to test his advice, I walked around the lowes and home depot appliance showroom (where the appliances get moved around, hit by carts etc) and did notice the black stainless finish wearing off around the edges but no blemishes on the slate models. I loved the black stainless look but we ultimately went with the slate finish due to prices and how we felt the slate would hold up better. hopefully that helps you some in making your decision!
  • dsciontijr
    5 years ago

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your response...Have to make my decision by tomorrow morning because I put a time frame on our decision of what to get. Otherwise, this could go on forever! Been trying to decide, (checking reviews online, etc...) for months now and now my head is spinning...

thanks again,

D :)

• Nora R
    5 years ago

@dsciontijr what did you decide? I’m worried about the durability of the black stainless steel and didn’t know if slate was considered more durable/less scratch resistant.

• Laura McNamara Doll
    5 years ago
    I have all GE slate, love it!
  • Devan Amber
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone! After many, many years of dreaming I am currently looking to replace my kitchen suite and had my heart set on the GE Slate color. When I went to go shopping for it, the salesman explained to me how the black stainless and slate color options are just an oxide coating/finish over Stainless Steel which makes both of them prone to scratches (where you'd easily see the SS scratch below the coating). Honestly that sort of broke my heart! I looked around at all of the models on the floor and it was true, they all had visible scratches on them. :(

I currently have SS, so I don't really just want to replace SS with SS (black or white is NOT an option!). So what I'm wondering is, since some of these posts are years old, is those who have the Slate appliances - how are they holding up to scratches? Do you do the recommended appliance polish every 6 months that the GE site recommends doing to help prevent?

Any input on this topic would be VERY helpful to me! I am so torn! I don't want to invest in all new appliances to only have a bunch of scratches on them 5 years from now - I'm too OCD for that madness! LOL :)

• Eric
    5 years ago

I’ve had zero issues on mine in the few months I’ve had them. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

I don’t foresee them being discontinued for at least another 10 years either.

• Devan Amber
    5 years ago

Eric, thank you so much! Oh, I agree 100% and will take care of whatever appliance - it's just that salesman really put the fear in me making it sound like it scratched so easily!

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Still a discussion in September of 2018?
    I have had GE appliances in the distant past and have not purchased any GE products since then.
    I do like the "slate" look better than stainless which still shows finger prints, even on brushed stainless.
  • areyano_cs
    5 years ago
    I find it interesting to see how a topic develops over several years. Since 2016, I have had a GE smooth top double oven range in slate and it coordinates with my SS appliances. I haven't had any issues with the finish or performance.
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

"Still a discussion in September of 2018?"

Sure seems these appliance topics can linger, especially the ones regarding color.

• beachboulevard
    5 years ago

Funny how I continue to get updates on slate appliances, and it's been 3 years since I first considered. I purchased fridge, range, microwave and dishwasher, and I love them all. No scratches so far, and I think they look nice with my white and gray cabinets. Note that I also have a stainless steel trash can and the mix doesn't bother me. (Yes, people have told me you're supposed to hide trash cans in cabinets

, but if you like to cook and need a step-on can - it's easier to be out!)

• dsciontijr
    5 years ago

how long have you had them in your kitchen?

• beachboulevard
    5 years ago

3 years now

• dsciontijr
    5 years ago

wow! that's the first hopeful reply I have heard. Thanks for sharing your experience. Is the GE dishwasher any good?

• fifamom
    5 years ago
    Luv the kitchen and appliances!! I’d like to know what your counter is? Am in the process of planning and ordering cabinets tomorrow but still looking at the counter options.
    Thanks!
  • dsciontijr
    5 years ago

I love the handles....do you get your clothes caught up on them?

• nightbk
    5 years ago

Hi Devan. I've had my GE Slate appliances for 4 years now. I've got two boys (3 if you count my husband) who are not especially careful with things and I've had absolutely no problem with the finish on the appliances. The fridge and dishwasher have been bumped by toys, pans, etc. and there's not a scratch on them. I actually banged the fridge right after we got it with the metal foot of a barstool that I was moving. I nearly died when it happened and was scared to even look because it was a hard bang in a downward motion! I was expecting at least an inch long scratch and possible dent, but the fridge was fine, not even a tiny scratch. I think you'll love the appliances!

• nightbk
    5 years ago

And yes, the dishwasher is excellent! I was concerned because I was replacing a higher end dishwasher so I wasn't sure that the GE one would live up to what were accustomed to. The GE Slate dishwasher has been very good and it's extremely quiet in our open concept space.

• Devan Amber
    5 years ago

Nightbk thank you so much!!!! That’s actually the feedback I was looking for butttttt.......I already ordered the stainless it’s ok though I’m still ridiculously excited!!!!

• dsciontijr
    5 years ago

@nightbk

I heard that the GE dishwasher didn't dry the dishes very well.???

• happyleg
    5 years ago

I have a ding & scratches on my white. I want stainless. I think it won't show as much. I do love the slate. It goes better with wood.

• beachboulevard
    5 years ago

My GE dishwasher is great ~ I've never had such a quiet dishwasher (you won't even know it's on!) No scratches on any of the appliances 3 years later, and no fussing with the constant wipedown of stainless steel.

To fifamom: my countertop is Silestone quartz in "Stellar Snow" (it has little mirror chips in it that make it sparkly, and I love it!)

to dsciontijr: weird you should mention, because when I first installed, one of my friends said that they would catch my clothes, but never happens in the kitchen. I also have same pulls in the bathrooms, and occasionally get the hairdryer cord wrapped around, but it's such a minor thing.

• nightbk
    5 years ago

Hi dsciontijr - Sorry for the late reply! I find that the dishwasher dries the dishes well other than plastic containers, but I've never had a dishwasher do a really good job drying them. I know it would help a lot if I used a drying agent, but I don't like too. I use straight hydrogen peroxide in the drying compartment because even though it doesn't sound like it, it's a natural solution. When I remember to fill the drying compartment (more often than not, I don't remember) with this, I definitely notice an improvement even with the plastic containers drying better.

• happyleg
    5 years ago

I never wash plastics in a dw! I heard they melted for someone in the top rack.

• km kane
    5 years ago

Well, here’s mine (90% done).

I like the slate color with the dark cabinets. One thing I don’t like about appliances is how they stand out (in color and texture) from the cabinets, which is why my microwave is always behind a door, as it is in this kitchen. And the dishwasher has a panel on it (right of sink). Makes for a nice clean look.

Yeah, it’s just IKEA, but it works for this semi-flip project.

• happyleg
    5 years ago

Nice job!

• Pj Keller
    5 years ago

Any opinions if brushed brass hardware or faucet would look good with slate appliance?

• happyleg
    5 years ago

Yes the brass would brighten/pazz, or get brushed nickle.

• User
    5 years ago

I had slate picked out for our new build but then once it came to picking the refrigerator we did not like the GE's. I started looking at pics online and feel like the stainless looked better with white so I switched my order to stainless for everything. I didn't realize only GE makes it. To me that says it's just not catching on and that stainless will be more timeless.