Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple

Tile to Wall Transitions - A Seamless Approach

By Any Design Ltd.
10 years ago
Many people never consider how they will finish the tile edge where it meets the wall to the outside of a bath tub or shower. Do you just stop the tile and paint the edge? Do you use a Schluter Profile or metal accent? Do you grout this spot or not?

So many choices and so much detail. Many tile pros use a product called a Schluter Profile - these are handy and come in many finishes but often you can use to many in a bathroom and personally I feel they take away from the look.

Here is a peak at some Master Dry Wall preparation work we have developed over the years for removing these metal accents (Schluter Tile Profiles) from many of our projects. These details take time - they cost money - but the end result is so worth it.....

Comments (79)

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Heading in today for more tiling. After the beads are set with joint compound we use light line compound for the following coats.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Stopped off at another job to set some baseboard tile. This project we decide to polish the tops of the cut Porcelean and set it tight to the wall with no tile profile or Schluter edge. Need to go back and fine tune the drywall to remove the void between the wall and tile. I'll take a few shots of this profile for those of you not prepared to do all the extra work of making the tile flush with the wall.

I used a 200 grit and 100 grit polishing diamond pad to get the tile smooth and remove any saw cuts. Then a 60 grit diamond polishing pad to micro bevel the edges and produce new factory edges
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If you are visiting from Terry Love's forum here is a link back to the other discussion. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?54268-Outside-Edge-Treatments-on-Tile-Walls
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found these photos for someone who was looking for more info on this L Bead J Bead detail I do.

Below you can see my daughter's bathroom being build. The plywood is a jig or brace that gave me a guide to tile too. Later the drywall was fitted with the JBead pre-attached.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is a drawing of how I did the detail.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The full photo album for the "Flush Tile to Wall Transition" is located here: http://s839.photobucket.com/user/jfrwhipple/library/Tile%20Flush%20With%20Dry%20Wall%20-%20No%20Schluter%20Profile?sort=3&page=1

You need the password to view them. You can get this by donating to my blog page here:

http://no-curb.blogspot.ca/2013/01/where-to-find-john-whipples-pictures.html
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My buddy Brice has painted out my bathroom and I will next finally finish this detail with a little white silicone.
  • krinic
    10 years ago
    John how can I fix a drywall crack
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That isa good question. Why did it crack in the first place?

Where is the crack?

What type of paint is there?

Can you show a picture?
  • slooper2
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I just had to piggy back on that question, as I'm about to fix my recurring drywall crack with spackle and mesh tape one more time. I think it happens because there is a seam at that spot. Can this be fixed for good?
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Slooper that is not a good looking crack. Any doors in this room not working right? That looks like a settling crack or moisture migration swell related crack.

Can you get a ladder out and take some pictures of the house from the outside. I think you have more work here than a little spackle.
  • slooper2
    10 years ago
    Hi John, no, no door problems in that room, but in the bathrooms I had to plane the doors a bit to help them close fully. This crack is over a second floor window in a massive 11-story condo building. It seems everyone gets the same type of crack in that spot. The brick façade looks fine from the outside, and we had no leaks that I'm aware of. I'm away from home, but will try to get some pictures tomorrow, if a coming snowstorm allows :)
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK - can you press your thumb nail into the drywall near the crack for me. Press hard and send a picture.
  • slooper2
    10 years ago
    Here's a couple of dents I made with my nail. I pressed as hard as I could
  • slooper2
    10 years ago
    I started scraping the crack, and it's beginning to look like a drywall seam, straight and uniform. Should I just tape and spackle? I need to have it ready for a casing installation next week.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No. First add in a few screws either side of the crack. Then fill with a product called "Joint Compound". Let that dry two days and then install paper drywall tape with same "joint Compound".

The trick is to let the paper tape soak in the drywall joint compound so it's soaked.

Place over crack - smooth flat and leave it for a day. Then top coat this patch with two passes of regular drywall compound. The patch area should extend about 10" all sides to feather out the repair.

make sure you sand the painted walls and wipe down the surface before drywall work starts.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a play by play post showing a nice outside corner. Tile to drywall without grout or tile edging material. The secret is the J Bead and the added framing step (shown below).

Have a look here: http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/tile-to-drywall-a-nicer-looking-out-side-corner.58184/

The 1/2" plywood I install flush with where the cement backer board will be. This gives a nailing or screw edge for the J Bead. The j Bead in this install was installed 5/8" past the face of the cement board. Waterproofed and then the tile meets up to it.

All these steps shown at the link above.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This step above may look silly but without the added plywood you just can not get the right finish.
  • ccfoys
    9 years ago
    Any suggestions what to do with this where tile bullnose meets the wall. My contractor thinks its finished and Im not a happy camper!
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for the donation Y.E. I hope you viewed the other thread as well on Terry's forum. The link I emailed you and it is show above. Some more pictures.

Remember that tile can be installed out of plumb but still in a straight line. So if the wall is out 1/8" over 8' then it sometime make things harder if you level the drywall bead.

JW
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    YE's questions and my answers I pasted on my Ideabook Understanding What a Shower Design call is. If you want to read what we discussed I place that here:

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/27686951/thumbs/understanding-what-is-a-shower-design-call-wwwno-curbcom
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    In the comment section with today's date.
  • punkarella
    9 years ago
    How about this John? Any hope for a easy solve?
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hard to make a really nice transition from the wall tile to the textured ceiling. If you want a cleaner look you most likely will need to do a few extra steps. Chalking. Like Some drywall patching. Priming. New spray. New prime and paint.
  • punkarella
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    John, thanks for your reply! Chalking? The ceilings are smooth not textured. This is where the tile contractor failed to tape off the drywall and has tried to clean off the grout from the drywall.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry. To hard for me to see. Can you send me better pictures close up?
  • punkarella
    9 years ago
    These are the best I have now but you are right, the whole ceiling needs to be re-done!
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sometimes the drywall work is quite dusty in the corners. Then the paint does not bond very well. Next the ceiling gets painters tape to stop the grout from hitting the ceiling. When the painters tape comes down you can get that effect.

Might be that the installer look more care than you think.

I like to brush sanded drywall corners and walls with a 3" paint brush and vaccum. This helps ensure the primer sticks to the drywall and painters tape blow is less extreme.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On this job called "Yale Town Do Over" we have designed a flush tile to drywall transition on the two long walls of the bathroom. To achieve this I'm using a shadow reveal moving made from metal and cladding the wall with an extra layer of drywall to start. This photo shows the doubled up layer of drywall.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To the left of the drywall we will be installing Wonder Board Light. Then waterproofing. The waterproofing will be tied into the drywall and Shadow Reveal making up a capillary break for the wall.

The tile will be installed flush to the shadow reveal molding and be seamless in design.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have uploaded a few more photos of the process here:

Recessing tile into drywall? Tile experts?

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Progress pictures from yesterday.

• sheepdisease
    9 years ago

How do I do a seamless transition between a plasterboard wall and wooden frame for an alcove bookshelf without putting a frame around the wood to hide the cut-out?

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is harder to do and make nice. I do this on occasion with custom wood drywall transitions that I install in position and finish with drywall and paint.

Fireplace Feature · More Info

You can see in this job the bookcase appears to be floating off the brick wall and then the face wall and the bookshelf appear to be one. This is because they are and the book shelf has been made to accept the drywall and drywall bead.

If you sign up for a short call I can work on a sketch for you.

Good luck.

These bookshelves I design the same way. Where does the bookshelf stop and the drywall end?

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

• sheepdisease
    9 years ago
    That is exactly what I am looking to do! Do you have a larger image of the bookcase to view to get a better idea? Looks great, what is the actual process of achieving that look? You don't happen to have a series of photos demonstrating do you?
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No sorry.

The process is a simple one. But one I have developed over they years. Not something I'm prepared to share the details with for free.

If you want some more design help with this detail please take some time and read this link. It explains what a mini design call is and how much I charge for the service.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a look at the larger image sizes.

This fireplace was build with drywall 1/2" - MDF - Granite - 2"x4". There is no magical items and all the materials are easy to source.

For drywall work I used Cement Fill - Mesh Tape - Paper tape - Guardz and Synko's Joint and Lite Line finish.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Over on Garden Web a lady was having a hard time planning her Neo Angle Shower. This planning stage can be tricky and how you finish the tile to the drywall as challenging as with a normal square walled intersection. I dug up for this poster some of the pictures I used to transition from a Neo Angle tiled wall to the drywall.

No tile edging.

No bull nose tile.

Just the tile and some special drywall beads.

here is a peak at the pics.

By framing out the right side of the shower wall I created a 45 degree angle to the entry. This allowed regular hunger to be used here and made the niche(s) deeper.

These are tear away beads - pre torn away. not a Home Depot option but rather sourced from a drywall supply store.

More pictures and explanation for this job found in my comments on this discussion

Shower Door for Neo Angle

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    In this photo you can see we tiled first and later I added in the L bead.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The shower glass U Channel covered most of the seam and then the L bead up high finished the rest off.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SEAMLESS TILE TO DRYWALL TRANSITIONS: YALE TOWN EXAMPLE

This bathroom received new drywall 1/2" over both the left and right walls. Then some Z molding (shown a couple posts up) and waterproofing from Ardex. In these three following pictures you can see the large wall tile going in.

The tile measures 18"x36" and is 3/8" thick. The Z molding is 1/2" deep. But it is covered with waterproofing so it's a little less than that. The tile gets installed and kept away from the Z molding edge a grout joint spacing away.

This detail provides a flush transition from the wall tile to the drywall and a capillary break from the shower to the drywall. It also looks Bad Ass and so sleek.

Because the tile work needs to meet the drywall bead perfectly the drywall bead needs to be installed perfectly. I did both steps to ensure the work met my approval and once I was finished with the drywall bead I make sure my tile lines up nicely.

The drywall to the right is still in a raw state. I need to fine tune the sanding and prime it prior to grouting this shower. You can see I kept the tile away from the Z molding just a hair under 1/8".

This picture shows the tile going in.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Taking shape:

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

SEAMLESS CEILING DETAIL

When building a steam shower and sometimes a regular shower the ceiling gets tile. When you need to transition from tile to drywall the same issues arise. One of the tricks I use here is again more drywall work and careful planning.

Looking up at the ceiling detail.

This is a photo my buddy sent me from Ontario. I flew out a few weeks back to help him over the long weekend get his steam shower ready for tile and to set the large porcelain tile on the ceiling of his steam shower.

We first vapour proofed the shower with Laticrete's Hydro Ban Sheet Membrane. I had him leave the drywall lapping down past where it needed to be and then used some Ardex 8+9 as a capillary break sealing the drywall back side to the sheet vapour proofing. Once the tile was set my friend cut back the drywall so it was a hair lower than the finished tile and then installed a metal J-Bead.

I was stunned that in London, Ontario not a single building supply house or even the local home depot did not carry J-Bead. I had to mail to to him....

The J Bead was set with silicone and will later get drywall mesh or paper tape over the metal to drywall transition and then a couple finish coats of drywall. Some sanding. Some priming and then it's done.

The look is clean and this eliminated the need for any exposed edge or Schluter like tile profile.

Seamless Wall Transition

This photo shows another friends bathroom where we used a J Bead to cap the end of the drywall. The picture shows the J Bead after it has been primed and painted but before the grouting stage.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Another builder here in Vancouver is following my detail for his tub shower renovation. The drywall and J Bead extend about 3/4" past the backboard. The drywaller used a paper J Bead that will need to be tied into the waterproofing to create a capillary break.

In the photos below only the taping and mesh work is done. No waterproofing as yet.

These outside corner details get tricky. How to end the tile cuts problematic. By setting the drywall beads with care a nicer cleaner look can be achieved.

• smilingalready
    8 years ago

I just retiled the interior of my shower. there is a pony wall that will have glass above. the tile is set level and the pony wall is not level so there is a gap/crack that I need to somehow fill to finish it. I don't know what to do about it and the tile contractor said he would come back to fix it and is now not answering the phone. any suggestions. I am posting two photos for both areas that need to be finished. I would appreciate techniques and products to do the job

• Alisha Horneff
    7 years ago
    Wow! That steam shower ceiling detail was so sleek looking I have decided to go with that look with my steam shower now. I managed to frame a barrel ceiling (as this was my first time doing such a thing I'm sure I made a few mistakes but it's holding up well. Here's some detail on the framing process and Kerdi waterproofing.) I was planning on having marble saddles on the top curb but wonder if I will have a hard time getting that to stay (with gravity not on my side as I found out when Kerdi boarding then Kerdi membrane-ing the dome ceiling)
  • stephrbrown74
    7 years ago
    We are trying to do updates in the house and have run into a problem. We had some people come out and tile shower/tub, we still have the old popcorn ceilings(
  • slooper2
    7 years ago

I'm not sure what the issue is, but there are a number of things you can do, depending on your budget. The simplest approach is to caulk the gap between the ceiling and the wall. Otherwise there are more labor-intensive processes, like removing the popcorn texture and skim coat for a smooth ceiling, or tiling the ceiling, something I have done in my project, and was glad I did. It provides for the most durable surface in a very humid environment like over a shower, where paint always ended up peeling over time.

• H Briz
    3 years ago

Hi John, I am about to have a bathroom that my husband and I prepped the walls for. We will have tile wainscoting on two walls and installed the greenboard above with the tile backerboard recessed about 1/4" so the chair rail would not stick out too far past the casing around the door after all was installed. We put the L metal level under all the greenboard but one of the tile guys asked us to remove it before tiling. I asked another tile guy and they had no opinion and a 3rd said we didn't need L metal at all when I asked if it could be installed after the chair rail was installed under. What is your opinion? I am lost.