Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hewitt80

Towel Elephant, because the Towel Pig Inspires But Cannot Be Found

Cheryl Hewitt
7 years ago

I present to you Towelephant!

Towelephant is held in place with museum gel making stable, but easy to move if needed.

The Robin is not impressed.

If you're new to GW, you may come across a number of hilarious posts about Towel Pig. If you're not new, then you were probably part of the fun!

Here is one (of many) threads about Towel Pig:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0620141020633.html

Comments (43)

• tiggsy
    7 years ago

I love it, Cheryl where did you acquire that beauty?

Cheryl Hewitt thanked tiggsy
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Amazon. Grasslands Road World Garden Good Luck Elephant Statue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D38T1M/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_Ug77ybB06K0KE

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

Love it! Move over, Miss Towel Piggy!

• User
    7 years ago

Cute! I prefer him over towel pig. I bet that towel over the eyes comes in handy when you take him to the vet.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked User
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Adorable--cement resin, but he looks like soapstone!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

"I bet that towel over the eyes comes in handy when you take him to the vet."

Ha! That made me laugh out loud.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

He is adorbs, perhaps because he shares a certain...plumpiness... with the also adorable Towel Pig.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked barncatz
  • chicagoans
    7 years ago

That is so dang cute!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked chicagoans
  • bpath
    7 years ago

Absolutely perfect! And his trunk is up, that's a good luck sign :)

Cheryl Hewitt thanked bpath
  • townlakecakes
    7 years ago

He is darling. I have been keeping an eye out for something suitable since I first came across Towel Pig. Nothing has called my name yet. I'm so happy for you that you found yours!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked townlakecakes
  • caligirl5
    7 years ago

Love!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked caligirl5
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

He is adorable.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked cpartist
  • sherri1058
    7 years ago

Ooh. Too cute! I also think I like him better than the towel pig.

Cheryl Hewitt thanked sherri1058
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

If there could ever be a replacement, I think you have found it!

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Love it.... the towel hiding his (her?) eyes makes it even cuter.

My towel pig (and towel elephant) will always be the fridge handle.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Very cute and zen.

Here's yet another alternative lol! Cool dude!

• MaWizz
    7 years ago

Omg that link to that old thread is hilarious Cheryl. Thanks for sharing :) It looks like towel pig even dates back to 2008! When I first came on this kitchen forum this year I saw a picture of someone's kitchen that had a pig in it and thought wow someone must really like pigs to have one in the kitchen Lol :) after reading some of that thread it made me realize the pig I saw in someone's kitchen may have been inspiration from all that crazy piggy madness. That was like the piggy cult group! Too funny. Btw cute elephant :)

• mgmum
    7 years ago

I love him!! And your counters!!

Cheryl Hewitt thanked mgmum
  • maire_cate
    7 years ago

DD originally bought this piggy bank to use a bank for her kids but decided to put it in her guest bath for hand towels. She has the matte black and since it weighs 4 pounds it stays in place when the kids grab the towel. It is on the large size - 19" by 10h by 4.5 deep. I think she removed the belly cork.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=harry+allen+piggy+bank&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=7005818429&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_74bu47hwue_e

• amykath
    7 years ago

Love it!!!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

MaWizz, isn't that thread fun?! There are a lot of Towel Pig threads out there that are a lot of fun. It was quite the quest for some time.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX, that biker dog would definitely make a statement! LOL

mgmum, I love that granite, too. It's American Black with a suede (leathered?) finish. It's so easy, much easier than the polished granite on our islands.

maire_cate, that's an adorable pig! A bit too expensive for me, though.

• Elizabeth Nothanks
    7 years ago

In the last 24 hours, Amazon has sold out of Towelephant and it's gone on backorder until next week. I can neither confirm nor deny that I ordered one for myself.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ha! :)

• kirkhall
    7 years ago

I'd like to hear more about "museum gel". What is it? Where do you get it? When you say "easy to move"--how easy? I've never heard of it. Are you a museum curator?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think it's readily available from a number of sources. I just did a quick search on Amazon and there were multiple brands.

Here is one of them: Ready America 33111 Museum Gel, Clear

Product Description: Depending on where you live-and depending on where you keep the crystal-you may be in need of Quakehold!'s museum gel. Here's how it works: simply pinch off a bit of the non-toxic gel and adhere it to the bottom of the object you want to secure, then place it on the shelf. The gel will hold it fast in the event of an earthquake. If you ever want to move the object to another location, simply twist and pull to separate it from the shelf. The gell[sic] is fully reusable, and it doesn't leave marks on wood or other materials.--Josh Dettweiler

I'm not a curator. :) I learned about it at an art show when my ex-husband purchased some blown glass artwork. The artist recommended it. It works great to keep collectibles in place. We used to have five [show] dogs and three teenagers and their friends careening through our house, so we needed something to help keep things where we put them rather than vibrating off the shelf onto the floor. This worked really, really well.

When you first apply it, it doesn't seem like much of anything. Once it sets a bit it's just enough to keep things in place, however they are easy to pop off by hand when you need to move them.Just rub on the gel and it'll ball up and come right off.

My boyfriend used some on each corner of a painting we have hanging over the fireplace. Um, not the best idea. LOL. I walked past the other day after we'd had the fireplace burning and there is clear gel slime trailing down from each corner. Newbie!

• Lisa 902
    7 years ago

I feel bad for the elephant because he can't see...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I feel bad for the elephant because he can't see...

If he were in my kitchen, he probably wouldn't want to.

• Lisa 902
    7 years ago

LOL

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lisa, I've had that thought!

• divotdiva2
    7 years ago

so cute. The only "towel" pigs I've seen always have wings. This would even work in my bathroom for the handtowel. Hilarious that they are on back order already..... the seller is probably wondering why they are so popular!!

• mrspete
    7 years ago

This would even work in my bathroom for the handtowel.

I was just thinking the same thing! The Amazon write-up says it's a cement-resin mix ... think this could be painted?

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, I think it would take paint. :)

• bpath
    7 years ago

Hilarious that they are on back order already..... the seller is probably wondering why they are so popular!!

I think that happened with "the broom" thread a while back. We must be pretty powerful! Or just not have self-control.

• Elizabeth Nothanks
    7 years ago

Oh nooooo, I forgot about The Broom! *wanders off to buy new broom as the contractors have destroyed my current one*

• divotdiva2
    7 years ago

did I miss the Broom? do tell - - you know I must have one if my friends at GW have one!!

Yes, I am thinking for my bathroom. I don't have a towel ring on my countertop so it would be kinda perfect. Right now the hand towel just gets folded and laid between the sinks.

I could just picture the seller of this elephant, thinking a few of those elephants would be sold....all of a sudden he/she can't keep up with demand, the whole warehouse is wiped out and they have to wait for a restock shipment to come from China, and they're thinking what the heck?? So they order a boatload and then once the demand from GW passes.....they literally have 10000 white elephants.....

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

"they literally have 10000 white elephants....."

OMG, so funny.

I want to know about this broom, too! My broom is looking forward to retirement, but before that can happen a decent replacement must be installed.

• Elizabeth Nothanks
    7 years ago

I give you the newest member of the Towelephant herd: Morris!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, Morris!

• barncatz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh, that Broom! I wasn't on GW during OP but ran across that thread when it was reanimated last summer or Fall. I lost hours of my life reading it, then looking at the magical broom website. I can still remember DH came home from work and I realized the afternoon was GONE. I might have bookmarked it.

ETA

Ha ha, pretty sure this is the thread. Here It Is! I'm not even clicking on it

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I spent a number of hours yesterday looking at brooms. Oy vey!

• Cheryl Hewitt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oooh, I like that. Might work even better...wouldn't have to cover its eyes. :)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!