Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagegardenfee

Weed infested large, steep slope - wish to plant natives, xerics

cottagegardenfee
8 years ago

Hi, all, I'm doing some volunteer landscaping at a local high school, and would like to transform a large, long, steep slope into an example of sustainable landscaping by using low-maintenance, native and xeric plants. The site is currently a devil's lair of weeds, including bittersweet, crown vetch, bindweed, garlic mustard, and hundreds of others. The soil is very loose. The high school has to use only organic, safe solutions, so Round Up is not a possibility. The weeds are truly overwhelming. Yet the site has the potential to show people how beautiful some of our native New England

plants are, and how we can make something amazing without using chemicals. I have some experience in gardening and landscaping, but would welcome ideas. It will take many years to get to a reasonable landscape, I think. You should see me drool over Piet Oudolf's naturalistic landscapes, but I know this isn't a possibility in this case. This photo doesn't show recent plantings, such as asclepsias tuberosa, ninebark, false indigo, coreopsis, prairie dock, ironweed, russian sage, agastache, etc. Thoughts, please?

Comments (4)