Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Worst SSV Failure I've Ever Seen

Joseph Corlett, LLC
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Without getting into too much countertop history, Wilsonart made a product called Solid Surface Veneer years ago. It was marketed as a low-cost alternative to Corian. It was discontinued, being subject to a class action lawsuit. I was reimbursed for repairing the jobs of others under that settlement, however, its deadline has passed for this homeowner. They're stuck. Those cracks aren't just separated, they're heaved, and this is the second-generation SSV with the phenolic backer. Even if I had repair material, how would I get the particleboard underlayment back on plane?

I broke off a piece for plastic laminate color match. Ironically, Wilsonart's White Sand was the best match, but the distributor would not answer the phone, so I had to use Formica Antique White. It drives me nuts when businesses ignore you, then have the guts to say "We value your business," on their recording. If you valued my business, you'd hire enough people to answer the damn phone, wouldn't you?

Note there is inadequate adhesive coverage on the substrate and the back of the sheet. And this was applied at the factory.

Looking at this picture with the integrated sink, you can understand why realtors and others mistake this junk for Corian. I hate the damage this crap has done to such an iconic brand. Note the crazing in the polyester sink and how the top crack follows the sink flange.

I bondoed the cracks and missing piece, bonded the Formica, and replaced the sink with a Kohler that can be undermounted when they get the remodeled kitchen they so desperately need.

I wanted to save the edge profile, so I fit the Formica factory edge to the ogee edge and let the silicone at the splash cover any gap.

Here's an old laminator's trick for tight seams. Dowels are set on the contact cement on the top so the Formica can be positioned without sticking where you don't want it. Press the laminate at the seam and behind the last dowel to be pulled. When you pull it, you've got a nice pucker that you work toward the seam, tightening it. Too little a dowel and you don't get much tighter; too big and you can't work out the hump and snap the laminate.

Comments (10)