Need help with track lighting for my kitchen
Olya M
Attached is the picture of my old kitchen, it is going to be renewed soon and I need to pick the ceiling lighting. Track lighting seems like the least expensive solution, since I can get rid of the old ceiling lamp and run track lights along the kitchen cabinets and extend them further to hang three pendant lights above the island.

Would you go with straight, curved or flexible track lighting system?
Or should I go with monorail track lighting?
Is there a difference in price between different types of track lighting?
Which type usually lasts longer?
Can all of them be extended to an approximately 18 feet?
Can you recommend any particular brand names?
Where would you buy them?

sandkshouse
If it were my kitchen, I'd look into recessed lighting for general illumination, under cabinet task lighting, accent lighting above the cabinets, and pendants over the bar area.
October 6, 2013 at 12:58pm   
Olya M
Thanks for your response. I will have LED strip lights under cabinets. I also like the idea of having pendant lights above the bar area. Tracking lights sound easier to install rather than drilling several holes in the ceiling and connecting all the electric wiring. It sounds like I can still have my pedant lights and a several small directed lights above the cabinets with a track lighting system, just need to decide the type to go with.
October 6, 2013 at 6:19pm   
Vered Rosen Design
Track lighting is cheaper, so if you cannot afford recessed, install one monorail with two or three pendants over the bar. as for the track lights, I cannot figure out from the picture if your kitchen is rectangular or more square. For effectively lighting the prep area, install on straight rail over the edge of the countertop. I assume you have lighting under the micro for cooking. To add some really cool ambience, add strips of lights above the TOP cabinets to create some indirect lighting. These lights will shine the ceiling and make it look taller.
October 6, 2013 at 6:42pm      Thanked by Olya M
LBC Lighting
Consider Tech Lighting Monorail. It's rigid but bendable and can support spot lights in the kitchen and pendants over the island. It can run 18' if needed. Let me know if you wish to have a system designed for you. tom@lbclighting.com http://techlighting.com/Products/Hardware/MonoRail
October 7, 2013 at 12:46pm   
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
WAC is another brand that carries track lighting and rail lighting that can have pendants as well as spot lights, waclighting.com/usa
October 7, 2013 at 12:53pm   
Please give advice on updating 1970's paneled den.
We need advice on wall color, replacing carpet with...
Help with colours for dining room table and console table!!
Hi! We need to buy a dining table set (to replace the...
Bed placement
Hi, I am moving into a small apt next month. On one...
Should we move the commode?
We are diy renovating our kids bath. Everything is...
need advice on this room
Want to change or update. would like to keep sofas....