Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sartarehare

Mixing photography with other art styles

sartarehare
9 years ago
Hi! Does anyone have suggestions for doing this? I find very few examples of mixing photography well. Black and white seems to work best but what if I want color photos? And what if I am not interested in drawing relationships between the pieces but working with a more random collection? If you find examples, I'd love them. Thanks in advance. (Oh and I'm not a fan of large family photos in my living room- they are displayed quite traditionally in my hallway and will stay there).

Comments (9)

• mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Our art and photos are tied together in one room by color. We also have a photo of a tricolor heron hanging with a color drawing of a night heron in another room. They have similar frames and matting. There are so many ways to coordinate, you just have to look for the common element or in the case of different pictures then coordinate mats and frames.
    sartarehare thanked mfwolfe
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    I am not sure you can put a group of photos and paintings/prints all together with no theme or connection and have it look like something other than a random selection.

You may consider a few different groupings instead of a singular grouping or if you are like me and have collected way more pictures then will ever fit on your walls, you may consider having several different collections that you display different times of the year.
    sartarehare thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    9 years ago
    All the art in each grouping should be complimentary one to another. Oil paintings are most formal and are usually reserved for living rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms. Framed prints are "cheap" copies of original art. (The cost of matting and framing aside.) Photos are normally the lowest form and informal. So I would group them by the three categories and then by subject. Photos are for me reserved for small niches in the kitchen,halls,stairways,recreation rooms and bedrooms, Framed prints depending on the subject can go anywhere. I would never mix oil paintings and framed prints in the same grouping. Oil paintings on one wall "formal subject" prints in the same room but on a different wall. Hope this helps, Bill
    sartarehare thanked Gantt's Decorating
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    I think we are all working a little blind. Don't know if you have 6 or 10 or 30 pieces, what sizes they are or how many are photos and how many are prints and what the colors are. Coming up with an artistic display kind of requires knowledge of what is being displayed. Guessing this is for your livingroom. A picture of the room would help as well.
  • Jennifer Hogan
    9 years ago
    I am thinking about a display that I created a few years ago for a friend. It was all photos, but I think the idea may work for your project. This was groupings of photos of all the places they had traveled, but we used 7 frames all the same size and color, but placed some horizontally and some vertically and each frame had collages of pictures, some small, some larger, some black and white, some color. It took time to get them arranged so that they looked balanced, but it was a beautiful arrangement.
    sartarehare thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    The photos in our house are not the lowest art on the art food chain. Ansel Adams, anyone?
  • sartarehare
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of the comments. I am still collecting for this home (recent aquisition) but attempting to meld my style interests. Most museums do not group photography with other art forms but my home is hardly a museum! Thanks for the great suggestions!
  • dsimber
    3 years ago

Wondering if you are still here, @sartrehare? This is exactly my dilemma and I’d like to learn what you have learned. And Yes! Ansel Adams, here! Thank you.