Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rps280

Need Help with Apartment

Ravi
9 years ago
I just moved into a new apartment in Midtown Manhattan. I brought very little furniture with me, and I am looking for advice on what to potentially buy and how to decorate.

As a 26 year old bachelor, I know next to nothing about how to make the apartment look good. Open to any and all suggestions on where to start.

It's a decent-sized (for a Manhattan apartment) living room with a kitchen that's connected. There is also a carve-out in the hallway that looks prime for a bench or console table. I'll lay out my thoughts below but am open to suggestions.

This is a rental (not sure if I"ll even renew next year), so the less furniture I buy the better. I'm looking to keep things as cheap as possible until I buy a place. The couches were something my roommates and I purchased several years ago. They are old but still comfortable. If I can avoid buying a new sofa, I would like to.

Living Room - I am imagining a big colorful rug between the TV and the sofa. Drapes installed in front of the balcony doors (also colorful). I was thinking about installing some shelves above the radiator and using them for decoration.

Dining Area - I think I have enough space for a dining table. I was imagining a colorful rug with a dining table (also to be used for people to read or work on laptops. Where the box is, I was thinking about putting a bar or a console table

Hallway - Perhaps a bench or a console table? Extra seating? Not sure what to do with that space.

Comments (8)

• leelee
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The dark, overstuffed sofa and chair are too large for the apartment. If you're willing to replace them with pieces that are more current that would be a good place to start. Is this an expense you can deal with now?

Glad you like color. Don't go drab. Love your idea of curtains in front of door and window.

Position sofa more toward the middle of the wall it is on. Everything looks pushed to the far end.

Big, bold art on the wall behind the sofa. The one below is from etsy.com. Furniture is Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. They have some great pieces.
    Ravi thanked leelee
  • Ravi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Warner thanks for the links! I appreciate it.

@leelee thanks for your advice! Purchasing a couch is in the realm of possibilities but it may delay my being able to purchase the other furniture. I agree with you, I hate the sofa and chair. My inclination is to get rid of the chair, purchase the other pieces and then make a decision on the couch. But perhaps it makes more sense to start with a new couch and then go from there?

regarding placement, what's not shown is that the where the TV and couch are is adjacent to a bedroom. There is a door right where the TV stand/speakers stop, that's why the couch is placed there directly in front of the TV.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Start with a sofa. Don't let the tail wag the dog. The right sofa will make it all come together. Getting the sofa first will guide your other choices.

Can you show one more picture with the sofa and the rest of the wall with the bedroom door?
  • Ravi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm going to get better pictures (of the wall and sofa) tonight when I'm home but you can see from this photo what the wall looks like.

I think with the space I have I could get away with a single sofa (maybe a love seat?) and a chair.
  • Ravi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @leelee Would I be able to get away with something like this? https://www.jossandmain.com/Industrial-Evolution-Shelby-Sleeper-Sofa~WHI3701~E10862.html

I know its not a formal sofa, but it would allow me to have more money to buy other pieces (chair, maybe an ottoman and the other furniture). Plus, I have friends staying with me all the time, so the fold-down nature would be usable.
  • Ravi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More detailed pictures
  • tschroederfl
    9 years ago
    I'm thinking that if u changed the layout of your furniture, it would make it a bit more cozy. I understand about not wanting to buy new furniture work with what u have. Change things around in that room then maybe add some color. A rug, and a throw blanket and maybe a few pillows will also help to add cozyness to the room. Work with what u have, even if it's swapping things out from your bedroom and living room.
    Ravi thanked tschroederfl