Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vsilaphet

What do you guys think about the pattern placement of granite on this

Vien
9 years ago
I picked out this granite and it just installed couple days ago.
It was beautifully fabricated, but I just not happy with the pattern placement at the middle of the sink. it looks like two different pieces of granite seemed togeter. it it was placed somewhere else I would have been ok with it.
I'm thinking of ripping it out and start over again.
Am i overreacting?
What do you guys think?

Comments (52)

• Melissa Freeman
    9 years ago
    Oh wow, it does looks like totally different granite... I'm having mine installed Friday... As mentioned above I'm going to make a trip first thing tomorrow morning don't want the cuts to come out like this... I didn't know you were suppose to meet with the fabricator to see where cuts should be made... This is my first time & thought fabricator took care of all that... Thanks for posting this thread! Helped a bunch!!
  • alinah2h
    9 years ago
    It does need a redo. You are not overreacting.
    Granite is a beautiful & great stone, in your case is just the way it was placed, feels forced. The natural flow of the pattern was not considered.

It reminds me of a time I bought a frame, it was not right for the art piece. I was told, I would get used to the frame. Well, I never did!
    Eventually had to change it.
  • lfriendo
    9 years ago
    It is two different types of granite. Mistake?
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    That's unique! How large is it? If it is long enough to show more of the gray on the other side it might work
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    I feel bad for you that you might have to get it redone... Can you live with it? I get a sinking feeling what that might cost... (Environmentally speaking as well)
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I bought the slab and had the fabicator / installer picked it up. We didn't go over the layout together and it didn't even occur to me to do so. apparently he didn't plan it out either.
    I paid for this install already but he still have to do the tub deck, back splash and shower curb.
    He refuses to give me any kind of credit tower the remaining labor cause he said I picked out the slab and that's how the pattern runs. it wasn't his fault.
    If I have to redo, I will have to buy a whole new slab cause what's is left just not enough to do everyrhing and pay him again for doing the vanity.
    what do you guys think I should do at this point?
    its been a long and stressful renovation
    I just want it done and I don't want to upset the guy if I press it.
    He did a good job otherwise and I do t wanna start over with another installer
    what do you suggest I do
  • PRO
    TGA&D
    9 years ago
    It looks great! Get rid of the traditional faucet and put something simple and modern. The sink and counter will look incredible when the cabinets and finishes are complete. Go with a rich dark color for cabinets.
    Hope you stay with it.
  • wsea
    9 years ago
    with the bigger picture you just posted I kind of like it. its different and unique and I assume you liked the pattern of the granite previously. would there have been enough material to shift the transition somewhere else? not sure how long the original piece was but I think if it shifted the transition might have been in the other sink.
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    Did you pay cash or credit card? If cc you can talk to them about a dispute of purchase...
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    From far away it doesn't look bad granite is unique...
  • toats
    9 years ago
    yeah, your latest pic is gorgeous! it looks natural looking at the entire slab. i dont think you or the installer made a mistake, personally i think it is unique and beautiful....BUT if YOU dont like it, thats all that matters.
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    I don't mind it at all in fact I like it sleep on it and it will grow on you
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everybody for your input. If I were to keep the counter top, what you think I should use for the back splash. I just want to make it right. I just have no clues at this point.
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    A suggestion for you:
    Try finishing the room as is, you can always change out the granite later. It's unique and when you finish it all, should come together. If you wanted a consistent finish, you would have purchased corian or something else. You can always replace it down the road. I do think he should give you a discount on the rest of it however

Keep everything else fairly neutral so it works with the pattern.
    Enjoy!
  • Melissa Freeman
    9 years ago
    From a far out pic... It's actually not that bad after-all. I would live with it,
  • sph137
    9 years ago
    When you see the entire countertop I think it looks really good. Very unusual. I like it.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Ya know, after how harsh my first comment was, which I hated, now that I see the full scope, it is not as awful as I made it out to be. Make it work in the room with the neutral accessories and I think you will fall in love with this all over again.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I agree, the entire countertop makes a huge difference compared to the small portion we previously saw.
  • toats
    9 years ago
    i would go with a very simple and neutral backsplash cause the granite is the star of the show :)
  • hmf70
    9 years ago
    I just wanted to add another vote for keeping it. I think it already looks great and it can only get better with a new vanity, etc. I would go subtle and plain with a backsplash, no pattern or color at all, let that pretty granite do the talking. This is what true granite is all about! I think you're going to love it.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Just goes to show, sometimes when you see the WHOLE picture, it all comes together perfectly. The counter looks great.
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Wow looks great when you see the whole piece- keep it , that's what is so great about a natural product, the natural variations. Don't stress it looks amazing.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    You're focusing on the small area where the granite changes. Don't do that. Look at the whole picture. It's unique and interesting. I love your faucets. You'll totally be happy when the whole room is finished.

What are you going to do with the area above the granite? Backsplash? Full mirror? That will also play a part in the overall look.
  • forrealone
    9 years ago
    I really like the 2nd photo showing the complete slab. It will look great when the room and cabinet is finished.
  • Angie Boyd
    9 years ago
    Honestly, when you see the full slab it's not so bad. The first photo made it look as if it was a small sink. I like it.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    leelee knew exactly what I was doing.....looking only at the area where the changes are. Can't do that with this piece.
  • Stacey
    9 years ago
    I think it is totally beautiful. It is a piece of rock and not supposed to be perfect and uniform.
  • Judy Love
    9 years ago
    It's beautiful! The pictures showing the full length of it really make a difference. It will look high end when complete!!!
  • maxyellow
    9 years ago
    I think it's great!! So unusual !!! Keep it!!
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank You everybody for your input!!!
    I really appreciate everyone's opinion.
    it's been a long stressful overwhelming process, nothing has gone right so far.
    I went out and looked at some new slabs but haven't purchased anything yet.
    After reading your comments, I'm going to wait and see if it would grow on me cause I have a long way to go before everything is done.

Right now I have another problem to deal with. The tile contractor whom I hired to do the shower and and tile work started a few days ago and I don't think he's doing it right. Every time I questioned him about something, he would have excuses for everything.

These are some of the list of the problems or am I being too picky?

When he did the shower pan, he wasn't going to do a pre slop, until I insisted on it.
    Hes done with the pan and I'm not happy with it because it's too high, its almost 6 inches from the floor without the finished tile which will add another inch.
    But the main problem with pan is the pitch, its too steep (see attached pics) when I asked it was done thst way he said that's the way it's supposed to be done.

I'm just uncomfortable with this guy. I feel like I have to baby sit him to make sure he does it right and even then he still cut corners every where he can.

What do you think I should do at this point. I paid him some of the money already, and if i fire him, he probably going to ask for more money.
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry for all the typos. .stressing too much :(
    here are pics of his work so far tell me what you think
    the first pic is the adjacent wall where he nailed screws thru for the studs in the shower.
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    the first pic is the adjacent wall where he nailed screws thru for the studs in the shower.
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • ruthmand
    9 years ago
    The recommended slope for a shower pan is 1/4 inch drop to each foot of floor space. Hope that helps.
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    to Leelee
    I'm going to use the old mirror which was on there, but taking out the dated 90' gold frame and frame it with wood to match the cabinet.
    As far as for the back splash, I'm thinking of doing neutral 4x4 or 6x6 travertine. ??? for the bathroom floor and in the shower im thinking of going with travertine versaile pattern.
    what do you guys think...Please help!!
    Any input, ideas will be greatly helpful.
    I'm stumped.
    The slab in pic is not the one I'm using :(
    I wish I had picked it out, but the tile sample is the one I'm thinking of using on the floor and shower thru out...is it too much of the same pattern especially with the busy granite i have it there?
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    to Leelee
    I'm going to use the old mirror which was on there, but taking out the dated 90' gold frame and frame it with wood to match the cabinet.
    As far as for the back splash, I'm thinking of doing neutral 4x4 or 6x6 travertine. ??? for the bathroom floor and in the shower im thinking of going with travertine versaile pattern.
    I'm stumped.
    I wish I had picked it out, but the tile sample is the one I'm thinking of using on the floor and shower thru out...is it too much of the same pattern especially with the busy granite i have it there?
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    to Leelee
    I'm stumped.
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    to Leelee
    I'm stumped.
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ruthmand
    yes I know but this slop is almost 2 inches and it's not from the wall. It drops suddenly from the middle to the drain and my shower is only 4x4
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So soory or for the duplicate posts my iPhone had problems loading and I must of hit the post button again and again thinking the first ones didn't go through
  • cireneg
    9 years ago
    What size tile is being used on shower floor? The steep slope will probably be a problem.
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm thinking of using 2x4 or 4x4 tile on the shower floor
  • Vien
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry I meant 2x 2 or 4x4
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Bathrooms are just the hardest, aren't they!!! So many choices in a small area. Then you have to think of all the factors like slippery when wet, marble that can get a ring from a single glass, design and the list goes on.

Keep it simple. You have a focal point in your granite. Don't go crazy with mosaics, bands of tile or inserts. Do the floor of the shower like the main floor. Use a smaller version of the tile if necessary for the shower but avoid mixing too many more patterns. The simpler it is the less likely it is to become dated.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    I can't really see the floor tile from the picture. Get several tiles and bring them home to put with your granite. I like your idea for the mirror frame.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    2x2 is easier to instal with a strong slope.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    You cannot use a 4x4 with the amount of slope on that shower. The best thing you could do would be to find a mosaic that you like that is on a mesh backing that will easily curve to match the level of slope. In this case, I wouldn't even try a standard 2x2. More slope than I would like to see in that space. Make sure that what you have is a two stage drain which you need if you are going to do a preslope mudbed, a pan and then a second mudbed.
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    You can always do the backsplash later. It took me up to a year to make up my mind and as you can see I had to order the same product at different times because I didn't have enough materials.

Keep the colour neutral but try to pull out the natural colour from the granite.

Make sure you buy enough! And about 10% more... Just in case.

If you are getting natural stone make sure you buy all of it at once. (Hence why mine looks different)

Can you take a picture of the whole room or where you want the backsplash to be exactly? Farther away might give a new perspective on things.
  • Alison Inge
    9 years ago
    The first picture the tile to the right has too much pink undertone to it.