Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashboerstler

What color of countertop and backsplash should I choose?

ashboerstler
12 years ago
I recently painted the kitchen cabinets (top - white, bottom - blue/gray)and walls (lighter blue/gray) and now need to decide which colors to use for my countertop and backsplash. What colors should I go with to complete the look? I wouldn't be opposed to repainting them a different color if that's what it takes. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comments (18)

• Batty Matty
    12 years ago
    I agree with Emily--go with a light colored counter and backsplash--white marble would be lovely-I've seen some gorgeous kitchens(House Beautiful Mag) with white and grey cabinets with marble counter tops. Although your floor looks pretty warm toned, so maybe a granite with some warmth to it. Marble might be to "cool" for the wood floors.
  • Kim Brandon
    12 years ago
    The white subway tiles would look nice as a backsplash. A stainless steel counter would make the kitchen more modern.
  • PRO
    Renaissance Kitchen and Home
    12 years ago
    Wow! It looks like everyone is on the mark on this one. The photo from Emily looks great. I agree a subway tile would be a great compliment to the white and blue cabinetry. I also love the idea of a border strip to tie both cabinet colors together.
    Since you have painted your existing cabinetry instead of replacing them, I would assume that we should be advising you on some "Budget Friendly Hi-Impact Designs".
    As far as the subway tile is concerned a feel in my expert opinion that they should able to be purchased under $5.00sf. The glass liner can also be purchased somewhere from $10.00 to $15.00sf. Remember that using a 3 to 4 inch glass liner would stretch your square footage of glass 3 or 4 times which will save you money. Finally I would also suggest a light colored counter top. You can find some great Level 1 granites in these light colors. i would suggest Bianco Romano or Kashmir White top to compliment the look.

Hope this helps,

Torry Manzo
  • feeny
    12 years ago
    One of the things I love about the picture Emily posted is the one white cabinet with glass door panels, white shelves, and matching blue-gray paint on the back inner wall of the cabinet. This, along with the combination of blue and white tiles in the backsplash, really pulls together the upper and lower cabinets into a unified whole. It would be very easy to replace just one of your white upper cabinet doors with a glass paneled door and to paint the inner back wall the color of the lower cabinets to achieve this same effect. This, along with people's helpful suggestions about the counters and backsplash, would be an easy and fairly inexpensive way to enhance your kitchen's design.
  • Faireden
    12 years ago
    I would love to see a cream colored counter-top with hints of the blue gray and the white in it. It would have to be more of a golden/sand color then an off white because white on white usually makes one look dirty. I would choose quartz over granite. It would be nice to stick with the same color pallet for the backsplash, either bringing the quartz up or if you go with tiles use a band of the blue-gray as has been suggested here. I would not use high contrast on these surfaces but save that for the decorative items.
  • gbwdancer
    12 years ago
    Do the pic from emily! Its perfect.
  • Gina Johnson
    12 years ago
    They aren't as popular as they once were, but have you considered glass backsplash tiles? Clear or blue-tinted frosted glass tiles could be alternated with stark white matte (not shiny) tiles. Could give your kitchen a unique look.

And i would look for a non-tiled countertop surface if possible. Beiza White Onyx would be really nice but definitely more expensive than what Emily is suggesting.
  • cjb50
    12 years ago
    I also just renovated my kitchen- cabinets are white and center island is black. I found the "metro glass" from tileshop.com works beautifully. Looking straight on, it appears to be gray/black/brown tiles. When the light hits it, it takes on a metallic sheen with loads of color. Very subtle, but very striking! I love it!
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    12 years ago
    Hi, nice job on the cabinets. Your floor is a warm wood and it is a large part of what is experienced in your kitchen. I would look for a countertop that would pull the warm and cool colors from floors and cabinets. A light or white background with specs of warmer and cooler like colors would be nice. There are many solid surface materials available with various color mixes and Ice Stone makes concrete counters with recycled glass and even mother of pearl that would work. Choose the counter first then choose the backsplash as there may not be as many choices in a solid surface countertop for your budget. You can do without solid surface for the backsplash and have more options there.

Also, there are really nice laminate counters available now that can give a great wow factor for less money. You'll get a solid surface look without the price tag.
  • betsyweisberg
    12 years ago
    I do love where you are so far with your kitchen. Can I suggest the Caesarstone countertop that mimics marble, it's super durable and perfect colors for the space. use the mini subway tiles in white for backsplash this will be different that the basic subways.
    If you want granite, go Kashmir white and again try the mini subway tile backsplash.
    Bring in beautiful lighting with sparkle and shine to complete the space.
  • debrabrigham
    12 years ago
    A beautiful wooden countertop with a subway tile backsplash.
  • tismoney7
    12 years ago
    a matte black counter would look great paired with a white tile backsplash- i can see it in a tiny sized subway, maybe with gray accents in the backsplash, or a carrerra marble tile
  • ldillard81
    12 years ago
    To make the kitchen pop, I think painting the walls a slightly darker gray and using a light stone with grey veining on counter tops and backsplash would bring depth and airyness to your room. Consider using under cabinet lighting also to highlight counters and backsplash. Looks a little shadowy under cabinets. Some decorative items with accents of blue and white along top legde over cabinets would contrast well against darker walls also.Also, a light weight window covering in white would soften the window area using a tension rod between cabinets. If top cabinets are too bright white, you can choose a softer white to go with whatever counter tops you choose.
  • ashboerstler
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for all of your suggestions! I really like the link that Emily suggested and its funny because that remodeled home is in my neighborhood. I am leaning toward a Kashmir white granite countertop and mini subway tiles for the backsplash. Here is a better pic of my kitchen if anyone else has any ideas...
  • poorgirl
    12 years ago
    Wilson Arts makes a beautiful matte finish Slate looking laminate that would also be very budget friendly, very interesting look on the counter, with a white subway or S/S subway tile
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    That's great. I think the kashmir white will really compliment your cabinetry, and the subway tile should add some exciting interest to you kitchen.

Torry Manzo
  • Batty Matty
    12 years ago
    Home Depot has MINI Subways at a GREAT Price--like $10 sq foot--good luck with the rest of your project!