Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudiafuentesdesign

I need help deciding where to center an art piece on a wall?

My client has a wall with a towel bar and a light switch side by side. The towel bar is centered between tne switch and the wall. Above this she would like to hang a painting. Where should it be centered from wall to wall or in the middle of the towel bar directly behind the toilet?

Comments (26)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Can you relocate the towel bar?
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    I would relocate it,if not center a piece on the towel bar and then put two smaller pieces on the right of it one on top of the other above the switch
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • PRO
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    She would rather not move it. But if she does where would.you put it?
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    I would have to see more of the room
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    I would relocate the towel bar to be centered with the wall. My second choice would be center on the towel bar.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Center the towel bar above the switch?
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    How large is the painting, and is it landscape or portrait? Also, where is the towel bar and light switch wall in relation to the vanity and toilet? I wouldn't center the towel bar above the switch because the switch would be covered by hanging towels.
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked makaloco
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The painting will be a landscape 12x24. The toilet is directly across the towel bar and the vanity is next to the toilet.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Very true.
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    I like ppf suggestion. Make sure you put a towel on the bar before deciding if it looks odd or not.
  • hambirg
    9 years ago
    Is there a tub/shower in this room? If not I would be more inclined to find a smaller towel bar and hang it on the side of the vanity next to the toilet. . .or maybe just a ring style one between the vanity and toilet. I think that is more practical. Of course, that only works if this bathroom is used for hand washing and not bathing.
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked hambirg
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    Sorry, my idea comes in my mind just a little part at a time: I would make sure that the towel is in one of the colors found in the painting, it would look more like the 2 (towel and painting) belong to each other.
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked suzanne_m
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the additional info, though I seem to be particularly dense this morning and still can't tell whether the towel bar is on the same wall as the toilet or opposite. I tend to ignore light switches and outlets, other than to avoid covering them. If the towel bar is centered above the toilet, I'd center the painting above the bar. Maybe try holding either the painting or a mock-up in different positions for the client to see, similar to ppf's suggestion.
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked makaloco
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    makaloco has a good point. If the toilet is centered to the wall, I would move the bar above the switch and center it with the wall like. Patching a hole made by a towel bar is not that hard and it will be worth it.
    If the toilet is centered with the bar, I would do like ppf said, try the painting above the bar first and move it if it looks odd.
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked suzanne_m
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    The towel bar is fine. If the art is as long as or longer than the towel bar, center it on the wall. If it's shorter than the towel bar, it's too small and shouldn't be hung at all.
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Awesome that really helps Groveraxle.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The towel bar is across from the toilet Makaloco.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The towel bar Hambirg is for large towels for bathing there is a shower in the bathroom. The towel bar is to the left of the shower as you look at it.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow everyone has been such great. I will submit all these wonderful comments to the home owner and see what she decides.
  • hambirg
    9 years ago
    Well, I think the towel bar is where it needs to be for practical purposes then. You want to be able to grab a towel when you step out of the shower, right? I'm all about function over aesthetics. No one wants to live in a museum. The design has to work and be practical. I like what groveraxle suggested, but I think you could also do a large rectangle over the towel bar and two smaller stacked pieces to the right.
    Artisan Tile at Whitfield Design LLC thanked hambirg
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes I think that is a good idea. I will tell her to try to get smaller pcs next to.
  • Lilianne Labbé-Babin
    7 years ago

Every other designing website says to center art above the towel bar. It definitely looks better there.

• abb_ann
    7 years ago
    Remove the towel bar and put up art work. Put a towel ring between your two mirrors above your vanity.
  • Laney
    last year

I'm trying to decide whether or not to hang a towel rack in my small powderoom ( half bath) ? I'd like to have art on my walls too should I not even put one in ?