Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneema

Help finding recessed lighting for minimal vertical clearance

dneema
12 years ago
What type of recessed lighting should I use to minimize the vertical clearance needed?
I have a slopped ceiling that is all wood at this point (hello 70s!). I plan on having sheetrock with thin insulation installed between the beams, but I want to keep as much of the beams visible as possible. The beams are currently 10 inches tall and I would ideally like to keep at least half of them (or more) showing. I am told standard recessed cans need 8 inches which would be too much.

My goal is just to make the ceiling look brighter, not necessarily light up the whole room. Isn't there some type of LED lighting that could fit my need?

Comments (11)

• RO PE
    12 years ago
    try the recces lighst that they are shorter and the wiring come on the sidejavascript:;
  • RO PE
    12 years ago
    that is another good idea, have to notch the beams to run your wiring all the way to your switch and patch and paint or stain beams ,
  • houssaon
    12 years ago
    When you put up sheet rock and insulation, do you have to provide for an airflow to prevent condensation and rot? Why not just paint the wood or white wash it? Wouldn't it be just as effective and less expensive?
  • dneema
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions (except for nvklfa9aa whose spam I reported to Houzz support staff).
    @Robert Perez, do you have a link to that recessed lighting you recommended? I would like the see the specifications.
    @Dytecture, thank you but I am not a big fan of the track lighting look. Not clean enough for me.
    @houssaon, the wood is very "raw" looking. It is not smooth whatsoever so painting it would not look that good. I am trying to make the place look a little more sophisticated.
  • J. DeBiasse
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I have a similar ceiling and mine is painted white. My lighting is using can lights with bump outs on the roof to support the depth for the cans and wiring which is also using conduit on the roof. My roof is not visible from below when outside the house. LED cans are even bigger with the transformer. Another option could be to mount the track for track lighting on the side of the beams that is least visible from the rooms entry point.
  • houssaon
    12 years ago
    Looking at the pictures again I noticed that there is not much space in the clerestory above the windows to the existing windows. I think you are going to have to consider that.
  • RO PE
    12 years ago
    hi dneema here is what you requested
    the firs light is 4 inches and the other is 5 inches
    took some pictures to make a better decision
    let me know if that works for you
  • phiwwy
    11 years ago
    Have you looked at the lightolier can lights? They make one with a 4" trim that will go on a sloped ceiling. The socket is adjustable so that the bulb will point the light straight down. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Creative Lighting
    11 years ago
    If lighting up the floor level of the space is not your goal, I'd look at adding LED strip lighting in a cove application. That will light up your ceiling and highlight the beams.

There are shallow recess lighting options out there too, but Be careful because they often will not take an appropriate trim for a slope ceiling. Most housings that can be used with insulation, hold an adjustable or slope trim and will perform as you'd like, will not be less than 7.5".
  • PRO
    Dasal Architectural Lighting
    11 years ago
    We offer two LED recessed trims that are low profile, and would fit your needs....
    Sola is the simple downlight, Azure is 30 degree adjustable.
    They both use the DLE-F-7 low-profile housing.
    With the latest LED technology from Xicato for true color rendering.

You can check them out here...

Trims
    http://dasalindustries.com/products/Sola-LED-Trim
    http://dasalindustries.com/products/Azure-LED-Trim
    Housing
    http://dasalindustries.com/housings/DLE-F-7

Hope you can find what you are looking for :)