Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sararwood

Shower to Bath/shower

Sara
9 years ago
Is there anyone anywhere who can design (or has designed) a tub to fit in a specific space? I want to put a tub where a shower exists in a space of 36"x44 (approximately). Here is the picture of the shower as it is now.

Comments (34)

• lefty47
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    HI -- You can just about get any bathroom fixtures now of any size . Have you done a search with those measurements ? You could also have something made by any shop that works with fiberglass to that size . There are fixtures for RV"s and there are also Japanese soaker tubs that might be in that size .
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    You can also get those walk-in tubs designed for senior citizens.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm too impatient for a walk in tub! I just want a tub that fits in the space, so tearing out walls and tile will not be necessary.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have searched for tubs with the measurements. The soaking tub is not an option-- no shower and to high to step in. Walk in tubs take too long. I'm old but can still step in and out with a grab bar!
  • sandragoodlife100
    9 years ago
    We built a home in the 70's. I had a blue tub that was that size - perfect for bathing the kids. American Standard made it.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks. My mom (in the sixties found a "trailer" tub that worked perfectly in the space of her "booth"shower. I've looked at RV Tubs and such. None seem to be wider than 24". Um, I'm a grown woman and--- don't think so!
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Well sara - I did a search and only found the door tubs and they are not just for senior's people , and the only other ones I can find are Japanese soaking tubs that are very expensive and not that easy to get into . And the RV stuff is very cheap looking and made of plastic. Maybe contact some of the big brands like American Standard and Kohler or maybe some of the European companies . But I'm thinking it my come down to having something made . Just to see what you think --- signaturehardware.com ... search Japanese soaking tubs . .....at-house.com . deep soaking tubs
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    lefty47, thank you for comments. Someone else mentioned American Standard. I will check out getting a tub made.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    Kohler makes a 48" tub, but not sure it'll fit in your space. I think it's the Greek or something like that.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well, I reviewed my measurements of my shower area. It could accommodate a tub 48"x 40" rather than the smaller size that I first posted. I have also contacted CustoMade.com to make it! Thank you for all the comments, suggestions and ideas that led me to an actual manufacturer! We will see...!
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Most companies that make cultured marble countertops can also custom make tubs. It will be expensive, but it would be local and easier to deal with if there are issues.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for mentioning cultured marble. We have a place close by that makes countertops, etc. I was thinking of something lightweight like acrylic. It is not a done deal yet. I will check out the man made marble place.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders, I called the local cultured marble people today. None of them will custom design a mold for my tub. They said they have certain molds for tubs. Those are all they use. So, I am still waiting for CustomMade.com to let me know what they can do.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Bummer, but good to know. Our guys say they will do custom, but we have not had anyone try it.
    Sara thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So, Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders: If your guys say they will do custom tubs but have not tried it yet. Here is an opportunity staring them in the face! My tub needs be 48" x 40" x Depth??. It needs upward flanges to keep it from leaking. It also will need three walls surrounding it. One will need shower/tub cutouts. It needs a right drain about 4 1/2" from the unit there now. How about it? Are they willing to give it a try? Images are on my Houzz project request. If you need more, please let me know!
  • User
    9 years ago
    A small tub like you want is impractical to use as a tub/shower. You can only sit in a very upright posture to bathe, and because the sides have to be low enough to actually step over with ease to shower, it must be on the shallow side, no more than 20'' tall. So, you'll only get maybe a foot or so of you submerged, and you cannot relax while doing so, because you'll be in military posture.. The Japanese tubs are designed for upright sitting as well, with an internal seat, but are MUCH deeper, with much more of you submerged, as they are not designed for dual use as a shower.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for your comment, Sophie Wheeler. I have looked at the Japanese soaking tubs and the Kohler 58"x58". I am only 5'2" and have sat in the bottom of the shower unit before, just to see how much I can scrunch down. Actually, I didn't mind at all. If I sit with my legs straight out, I am sitting almost upright. I never sit with my legs straight out in our other bathroom, which has a tub (5' x 30). What I would like is to be able to move my arms around a bit! I sit with knees up and can lie back to wet my hair. Also, this shower component has a rainshower head and an attached spray unit that I could use sitting down! Twenty inches deep would be great! Your comment was very helpful to me!
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    sararwood, I talked to the cultured marble guys at an industry meeting tonight. They do create cultured marble tubs and can adjust the size of the tub deck but do not adjust the size of the tub itself - they have only a certain number of tub molds to work with. They customize cultured marble shower pans to any size but not the tubs. Sorry that is not an option.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My house is on a slab. I've talked to my plumber about moving the shower drain about nine inches to accommodate a tub and removing the shower. He will have to cut into the slab, but says it can be done without compromising the foundation.
    What about moving the toilet drain? I looked at a redo on Houzz, and the toilet was moved to the other side of the bathroom. Can it be done on a slab house?
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    It generally can be done, but would be very expensive. The plumber should be able to tell you.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Patricia Colwell, LOL! Yes, I have finally said "uncle" on the shower space! Thanks for the visual! Since I am now willing to give up some storage at one end of the shower, I'm able to look at 5' x 34" inch tubs!
    I wanted to change the door to swing out rather than in, and move the toilet to that space. I'll try to attach a photo of the square space.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    The senior tubs. That were suggested. Are great. They fill very fast and use can also use a hand held shower head. Think this would be the cheapest route.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really miss submerging in tub! The door tub may be an option later, but for now, I want to splash off in a tub when I'm in a hurry. Also like the hand held devise to wet my hair and sink back to get suds out quickly. Even with a tub, the shower drain will have to be moved about nine inches. A mess but not as bad as moving the toilet drain! Any tiling ideas?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    60 x 32 is a fairly common size and should not break the bank and if you go with the retro fit ones from Maxx they have a new system that requires no silicone between the pieces and are easy to install.
    Sara thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Patricia Colwell, thank you for your post. I will look at Maxx! I am SO ready to get this project on the calendar and get it finished!
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well, my bath remodel is under way! The end of the second week and a lot of work done, unexpected things fixed and mistakes made!! My biggest mistake was in choosing my shower tile and floor tile. I chose some very beautiful marble for the tub enclosure. When the tile man came, I found out that my champagne taste in marble was going to be quite costly to install! I should have taken a tile person with me to help me choose. Now, I'll be coughing up an awful lot of dollars more than planned. On the brighter side, the enhanced bath will increase the sale value a huge amount. The problem is that we don't plan on moving any time soon!
    My contractor and plumber have been very attentive and have had me sit in the tub in order to properly place my safety bars, the height of the main water control and the rain shower head. The room has more wood, insulated walls, sealed Sheetrock, and repaired shoddy workmanship from a prior electrician. Next week will bring more dust and work! The plumber will install the fixtures whose pipes he wrapped in insulation before the wall was closed in. After moving a drain ten inches over, and having to jackhammer the slab, said plumber also cozily wrapped and insulated the main pipes that would once again be hidden in a slab. He also noticed that we needed a new, better water heater, which I agreed on and he is going to do that.
    More next week, with pictures!
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So far, my wonderfully talented contractor took my solid wood six panel door and sliced it in half! I wanted it to swing outward to have the wall space available for use! He did it! It isn't finished yet,but I am so happy with his skills!! Pictures of before and after attached.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    At the end of today (Tues. 2/17/15), here is the bath tub progress:
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago

What you don't see here is a layer of waterproofing over the durock before tile installation. It should have been done all the way up to above the shower head.

• Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Deborah Butler, thank you for your comment on my bath project. The backer board is not durock. It is hardiebacker. The seams are siliconed and waterproofed with red guard. The installer advised that unless it is an enclosed shower, it doesn't need it except on seams and soap dishes.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago

It's a pretty tile that you selected. It is going to look very nice. We would waterproof all of it up to above the shower head height regardless of whether it is a tub surround or a shower. All grout is somewhat porous even though it is sealed (with the exception of epoxy, which would not be used on marble). It is one of those extra steps that costs only a little more but provides that extra layer of precaution and prevention for water management over the long run. Just an observation that other folks might want to consider.

• patrinkac
    9 years ago
    Japanese soaking tubs?
  • Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    A sneak peak of my remodeled bathroom! Not finished yet. A few more things to be done. Any suggestions for art or contrast colors? The doors are original; used to be one solid wood door- transformed. A new shelf for an old laundry chute. There is a second new shelf in the bottom cabinet. Love this! Shower is marble subway 8"x4" and a 4" band ofAqua blue glass tile. The new toilet is Kohler.