Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbrass3

Weird entry staircase

Lori Brassell
9 years ago
I'm considering buying a condo with a sunken living / dining room combo. The front entry has a weird stairway that sticks out into the living room, so the room isn't exactly squared off. It's a pretty weird. The front wall has two windows with a narrow space between them (can't hang the TV there). There's only one long wall where I could hang it, but I'm struggling to figure out what furniture to place in the room and how to place it that doesn't scream haphazard, weird and after-thought.

I doubt the floor plan is to scale, but it at least shows how the staircase is situated. I've included other photos from the realtor site to give a better idea of the scale. Note, the furniture in the room isn't mine. Anyone have any ideas on the right type of furniture and the placement?

Comments (11)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Sofa needs to go on the outer long wall connected to the ding room ,tv across from it on a low credenza
  • Amy a
    9 years ago
    I agree with Brandi
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    loveseats and chairs in living - no long sofas or sectionals.
  • Lori Brassell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow! Thank you all of you who answered! I really wasn't expecting much of a response, certainly not so quickly! I'll give your suggestions a lot of considerations (provided I actually get the condo). I think I'm just obsessing because this would be my first purchase (exciting but terrifying)! Thanks again!
  • chirpingfrog
    9 years ago
    Do you need an eating area or can you just use the bar countertop? What will you be doing in the space beside watching t.v.?
  • Lori Brassell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi chirpingfrog,

I would like an eating area. There is a chandelier next to the kitchen in the dining room area where a table would probably sit. I was thinking a small round pedestal table might work well there, but I'm flexible. I'm not opposed to barstools. I would be the only person occupying the home so options are flexible.

This area is going to be a general purpose living area for tv, reading, relaxing, etc. Also there should enough seating available for entertaining.

Thanks for responding!
  • chirpingfrog
    9 years ago
    I see a couple possibilities for this room.... 1. what if you did a "mock wall" from something interesting and float the tv in front of it.....towards the middle of the room facing towards the front windows.... you could do an L shape seating arrangement and possibly get a couch/loveseat in the space. Drawback.... you can't see t.v. from eating area. Or, 2. Angle the t.v. in the corner kind of behind the stairs... you could probably get a couch/loveseat along the long wall and another chair.... or 3. put a buffet/dresser of some kind (with some storage would be good) at the windows with a couch/loveseat across and a couple chairs.... one chair could be pushed farther back into the corner at the stairs and pulled out when needed...
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Because it's a condo ... find out what the board will allow you to do if you want to ever remodel and rework the stairs . The stairs make things difficult and are limiting and eat up a lot of square footage .Talk to a contractor or an architect to see what is possible and the ball park price of changing the stairs . Maybe finding out how the governing board operates will help you decide if you want the place or not .
  • Jennifer Abbott
    9 years ago
    I agree with Lefty. What's the purpose of having two staircases? Can you just have the one in the dining area and get rid of the one in the living room?
  • Jennifer Abbott
    9 years ago
    Wait, I see now. The one staircase is the entry into the unit. Can you have that reconfigured so it takes up less room? Can you make a landing at the entry, then have the staircase empty into the area where you have a closet now? I'll upload a picture later of what I mean.