Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shutterblade

Update this 50 year old cottage

Mike Lee
11 years ago
We need help deciding what changes can be made to our cottage - looking at windows, siding and possible porch. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (26)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    So the first picture is the back of the house and the second is the front, right? It looks like there are hurricane rolling shutters on the house, which are not very attractive but necessary.

If you like the style, I'd take this home to a more modern feeling.

The front door, the glass block and the walkway should be replaced.

For doors, something like this:
    Henderson project exterior shots · More Info
    Or
    Globus Builder · More Info
    Or this:
    Contemporary Entry · More Info

The back yard looks like it could use a major landscaping redo. Right now it almost looks like a commercial property. You could update the metal awnings with fabic ones that roll away
    Provincetown Shop by Becky Harris · More Info
    or add wood awnings that will greatly improve the look of the facade:
    Rustic · More Info
    Sustainable Long Island Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Mike Lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll take a good look. The cottage is on Lake Huron and the shutters are used in winter both as protection from the wind and ice and also a bit of security. The rear lawn has just been levelled and covered with top soil and then seeded. The small red flags marked the sprinklers for the landscapers. I agree that it looks pretty bad right now.
  • Nikki Bale
    11 years ago
    I think the house would look great painted white with black windows & you could finish the door in a pretty pop of orange (or a bold green) with modern accents (numbers, lights, etc).
  • Andrea Despatie
    11 years ago
    I'd replace all the windows if you could with wide white frames. Possibly sliding doors or french doors for the large windows and garage door looking thing. I'd go with dark awnings, something bold to balance to pale stone and white woodwork. Or you could do light awnings and use black elsewhere with pots, outdoor table, seating, etc. Build a low deck to bring everything away from the house.

As for the front, large frames once again, and I like your first two options for the doors; not the third. I'd even contemplate the black awnings that fold away for the front if required also. Then, I'd use landscape to really add visual to the front of the house. Add depth and dimension with large plants and perennials. Look at Sarah Ferguson's "Sarah's House" and look at what she did in her first season (I think). She's transformed a typical old suburban house into a beautiful updated home.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the exterior. Other than being very expensive to cover, you would waste a beautiful exterior.
  • GizV
    11 years ago
    In the back: I think replacing the green awnings with a white will help, along with some interesting plants. Because of your severe winters I'd put them in large rolling pots that could be moved to an enclosed area to protect them. Once you add some outdoor furniture and a barbq the back will be pleasant. I like Andrea's idea of a deck.

I'd replace the concrete walkway to the front door and make it wider in a material that will withstand the harsh winters. (I live in CA so have no idea what you could use). I'd also add a planting area along the walkway. My sister-in-law added a raised vegetable garden to her expansive front yard which is another way to make the entrance welcoming. You're trees might create too much shade for vegetables but shade loving annuals would be nice.

I recommend getting a consult from a local architect for a front porch. They would know what can and cannot be done in your climate and could draw up an idea of what would be effective. From there you can dyi or hire a contractor (don't you just hate it when someone states the obvious ;~D. ).

I love a front door with color like Nikki recommended. Even with a white storm door in front of it, it beckons you in.
  • Linda
    11 years ago
    Underneath, it looks like there are some strong, horizontal lines. On the back, put the screen doors and hurricane shutters in the barn and take another photo. The eaves look interesting; you can install light-filtering shades inside for sun blockage and do away with the awnings permanently. Then study the prairie-style architecture that is a special feature of the mid-west. When the upper bank of windows are revealed, you may have an interesting "clerestory" look that is designed to complement the eaves. Then decks with emphasis on their structural components may be suggested.
    Tell us what the use of the rooms are in the back: is your kitchen on the lower level? Are those bedrooms behind the second story windows? You have an interesting house that has had some paranoid former owners if those aren't hurricane shutters. Ignore esrunjan and give this board more to work with. There are some talented designers here.
  • PRO
    Mike Lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The rear of the cottage's lower level consists of a garage, laundry and mechanical room, bathroom and living room (left to right). You're correct in thinking that the upper level is four bedrooms and a bathroom. At the front you see (again left to right) a living room, dining room and kitchen. We were thinking of a covered porch on the front, but have ruled it out because of the difficulty of obtaining building permits. Although there is a large front yard, we are on the lake shore and set backs because of environmental issues have become more restrictive. The porch would probably have to be at the rear of the cottage - the issue here is that the door sills are practically at the level of the concrete pad. We understand that windows are needed. Also the stone that you see at the back is a thin veneer (1 1/4") and if needed to be replaced would not be hard to remove. The sides of the cottage have cedar siding that has been refinished but fading now. Talk about a mixed bag of architecture.

Just like to say again thanks for everyone's constructive responses!
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Landscaping here and there would do wonders for this ranch. I believe I see 2 Japanese males near front entrance, Mike how close are they to your front entrance? Some of the higher bushes in front of your windows need a good trimming or moved to another area. low plants would be more appealing with your house under those windows.. To make it more cottage like I would as well paint the brick either a soft white or possible a taupe. The front door I agree I would replace the door and block sidelights which seem to date the house. Take a pic of your property and take it to several nursery's. Their in the business to make your yard into something special You have some lovely beautiful large trees out front that I am sure add to your home. As far as the back and if your budget allows it I would replace all the windows and door with more efficient windows so there would be no need to have the shutters. Its costly sure but well worth it in the long run. Good luck Mike. You have the makings of what could really be a lovely cottage .
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    11 years ago
    Mike, congrats on the house. it looks like a good solid house, that needs attention and good taste to be a jewel. I myself got one of those, a lovely ranch that sat empty for years. Now for suggestions: DO NOT touch that siding, it is a thing of beauty and strength , leave it alone. I would go very modern, install larger windows in a blend-in color, such as Anderson Sand. In the Front your biggest area to work in is the front door and path. I would go with keeping in the strong horizontal lines and making it wider. look at Techo block http://www.techo-bloc.com, they make great pavers resistant to everything. I would go with the suggestion of looking at prairie style and use a muted green or tan for a new front door. remove the bushes blocking the windows and incorporate some low perennials, such as grasses near the house. as for the front lawn, I would consider replacing the existing lawn with no mow mix and a mix of native low wildflower. your house will pop out and there will be no mowing, help yourself and the environment. I would move the 2 red sad looking trees to the back, and would not try to break the horizontal-ness of the front. as for the back. the back requires a bit more vision and work, I agree. the first thing is to remove the green awning. Maybe if you can afford it, enlarge those windows, if not let it be and just remove the awnings and change the windows. it is hard to tell which rooms are in the back, but I would try to make as many of the windows french or sliding doors combined with floor to ceiling opening windows, or combination of fix or opening windows, a bit like a Mondrian picture. Definetely enlarge the one patio door, and make it as large as you can. It actually looks like you have a lovely patio structure (hard to see, post more pictures) So maybe all you need is some patio furniture. Also please remove the white fence, or at the very least paint it to blend. If the back is to the lake you do not want to obscure the view so why not make your lawn as interesting as possible by framing the sides in a combination of conifers and perennias such as catmint. I would choose 1 color and plant a monochromatic garden around it. Shoot a few pictures of the view from the back to think of more landscaping ideas.
  • Amna Baig
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    well in my own special way there should b red brickwork on the exterior with beautifully wooden bordered cottage roofs.wood must b in dark brown color. and windows should b in matching with the roof style.for the interior ,coz u live at a place with romantic weather,u should color your house with fresh tones.i mean some most of the interior should b in fresh tones n some corners must have bright n burning touches.
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Obviously, the house must get exposed to many extremes of the elements from excessive sun and reflection off the water to excessive winds.

Maybe consider chanding the solid awnings to slotted awnings, a more contemporary look. Add some exterior wall mounted lighting. If your patio is in good shape, maybe all some curved paver area expanding the patio and taking away a hard straight edge. You could include some short 24" high patio walls as wind break elements.

Get a local landscape architect to help you with proper landscaping and plant selection for your site and conditions.

I'm sure when the weather is right and the shutters are up, the home, the view, and site are beautiful.
  • PRO
    Mike Lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'll be there this coming weekend and will take a couple more photographs of the front lawn (lake side) and the rear of the cottage. These really are great ideas and the kind of help I was hoping for! Just to make life more complicated - there is a 20' by 30' detached garage (block construction) with half stone to match the main building and white siding on the second story. I'll get pictures of this as well.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I bet your whole "compound" is a gem! I look forward to seeing more photos
  • esrunjan
    11 years ago
    Okay I was wrong! Doesn't happen often but I do apologize for saying the house is ugly. Wow you are some great minds out there in your design land. (I am a great Nurse but obviously have been in my scrubs too long) Now I want help with my house! It also is 50 years old and I don't even know where to begin. My focus has been on paying off the mortgage (3 years left) and getting my son thru U. of South Carolina which is next year. I will post photos in the near future and hope you don't laugh. Starting point is the kitchen which has the old style black and white floor which I love the looks of even though they show their years but have never seen any looks to go with the floors. Other than Nascar and no way.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    esrunhan,

Until you post the photos all I will say is Poodle skirts worn in the kitchen work well with the black and white flooring.
  • mholt21
    11 years ago
    esrunhan,
    I bet there are a lot of us that have comments for you....but being genteel, I will leave you to yourself .
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    Mjholt21 went to your ideas and love some of thing designs you have found. That garden bench is to die for. Love it.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    Nikki this home you showed here has true beauty . Colors are soft and not overstated its lovely.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Mike, I saw this house and thought of yours. The stone is similar. If you do replace the windows, dark frames like these would look good and it would be nice if you could incorporate wood stained to this shade somehow.
    Cat Mountain Residence · More Info
    Please keep us posted when yyou make changes. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Mike Lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Houssaon,
    I have to admit that when I first started this thread, that I had a vision of what I wanted and I guess I hoped that someone out there would suggest the same thing. The great part of this exercise is that no one was even close, yet all the suggestions were just as valid. The link that you included is a beautiful design and something that would I would now consider. The mention of dark trim for the windows would have originally not have been one that I would consider, but seeing it done right changes everything. Thanks! I will take a couple of new pictures this weekend and post them.
  • inabunker
    11 years ago
    Mike,
    Your house looks fine from the front. The back perhaps could use a large pergola structure to break up the starkness. How about something like this?
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    omg Inabunker I was just about to suggest this same thing . Needs a nice sitting area out there would be so nice Love what you put in but I wonder if a rood over it would be better. love it
  • PRO
    Mike Lee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    A covered veranda is high on my wife's wish list. I'm worrying about how dark the one lower living room will be though.
  • inabunker
    11 years ago
    Mike,
    O.K., I understand about not wanting darkness. Another idea is, to build a large deck off the back with a pergola structure further away from the house. That way you would break up the starkness but not add darkness (sorry for the poetry).
  • Double D
    10 years ago
    inabunker is right pergola is amazing,Mike keep your wife happy!!!!