Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbt369

LAYOUT NEEDED odd shaped kitchen

Sandy&Frank
9 years ago
We have a 1960 "V" shaped ranch the kitchen and dinette are in the "V" we would like to make both spaces all kitchen, and need ideas on a good layout. We want to keep the door by the wall oven it close to the living room. I think it would be a good idea to get rid of the wall between the dinette and dining room. There is a large window in the dinette that is going to be replaced next week with a sliding door the same size. Please give us any ideas you have. The door to the left in the dinette goes to the basement and garage, the door to the right is a closet. You cant hurt our feelings none of this kitchen was our doing lol.

Comments (23)

• Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I forgot to add the layout i proper format this should help
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    You should bring in a qualified designer to assess existing conditions and who can develop a scheme that works to your needs while fitting within the physical confines of the space. Not just the walls, but the location of plumbing stacks, sanitary lines, water heater, etc. Nobody here can make sound recommendations without seeing the floor plan and locations of services to and from the kitchen.
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We are considering a designer. Would like the input of the Houzz members as well. Thank you
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    How are Houzz members going to provide sound input without seeing the whole picture?
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    When you design a kitchen for a client how many designs do you go to your presentation with?
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    As many as it takes for the client to be happy with the design. However, at this point, nobody can design anything because there's insufficient information to base sound design decisions on.
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I was just wondering what to expect from a designer
  • studio3600
    9 years ago
    Unless you like these retro cabinets I would say a whole new kitchen is in order. BTW, you could probably sell the cabinets if you need the cash. Open up the space and get all the bells and whistles you can afford. Have fun with it!
    Sandy&Frank thanked studio3600
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have been browsing through the kitchen designers and interior designers here and looking at photos of there work. We don't need contractors or most of the suppliers. We will take care of most of that. I was looking for some creative layout ideas. I'm happy to give you any information you want. Or photos.
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We are not keeping anything in the kitchen, the cabinets are the the ones they build in place. So no backs on them won't help anyone. I'm a fan of a little retro, but not these, lol. I like a little rustic warm colors and natural products. My husband likes modern clean lines and cool colors. It will be a wild ride. Thank you
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    I don't think you'll find many designers who are willing to offer their services without first having a contract in place.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    but you will get some ideas here for free if you post sufficient info . . . try making a sketch of the floor plan, with some key dimensions and post it as an attachment to your next post

what does the outside look like? is your aesthetic cottage/traditional or modern/contemporary . . .transitional? these cabinets would fetch someone who will demo and take them away for free if you advertise for that . . but wait until you have a plan in place and new cabinets on order . . / delivered and filling your garage .. .

tell me more about the V shaped ranch layout . . . or better, as above, draw a plan!
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maltby Design I was not expecting free design advice from a professional. I was referring to the rest of the non "PRO" HOUZZ members, as many many people here do.

Libradesigneye style is going to be tough i like a little rustic edge to traditional my husband is more modern feel, so we will have to meet in the middle. i have attached another layout hopefully in this one you can enlarge it to see the dimensions.
  • PRO
    Hirshson Architecture + Design
    9 years ago
    Seeing the overall footprint of the space really helps. I suggest you start by making a list of the items you want and need in the new kitchen. This list should then be placed up against your budget to determine what will drive the new layout.

I'd consider options that keep a breakfast bar and ones that explore an interesting shape to the center island. The sink should likely stay in its current location to take advantage of the window and existing plumbing. Refer to your list to determine what style sink appeals to you and will look great in the new kitchen. If possible, it'd be nice to minimize the number of doors and openings into the space. I also suggest you work with your lighting grid to differentiate between the prep areas of the kitchen, spot lighting over the island/dining table, and the general lighting in the balance of the space.

Finally, create an Ideabook of kitchens that appeal to you. With all of this information, a designer will be able to work with you to lay out the best plan to balance the constraints of your space with the budget for your renovation. Perhaps target a local kitchen vendor who may offer a flat fee to design the space with you.

Good luck!
  • studio3600
    9 years ago
    Yes get rid of the walls you mentioned. I would take out the "v" island that sticks out and those hanging cabinets. If you are keeping the window over the sink I would stArt your plan there. Keep a sink in that space and work around. I'm sure you could pay someone just for a plan. That's what I did for a studio addition that was a very odd layout. So much fun! :)
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    You might want to try the online Ikea kitchen planner or google sketchup. Both are fast and easy. The floor plan shows the outline but does not enlarge to a readable size. Is the room on the right the dinette you refer to?

Is this remodel a complete gut job? The cabinets look like they were built on site, not boxes that can be removed and recycled.
  • studio3600
    9 years ago
    Also, use throat closet space too, I think entry closets are clutter catchers and if you can space in the kitchen do it! Get the stove and oven combo to also save space.
  • studio3600
    9 years ago
    Not "throat" , the coat closet. Yikes, I need more coffee.
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hirshon thank you I need to have my husband start saving the designs he likes. I will do the same. He is nut for lighting so he has that taken care of. I too am thinking of an interesting shape for the island.

Apple, did you try clicking on the latest layout? I thought that one was sizable. The space on the right is the dinette and the top of the dinette is the wall I want to remove that goes to the dining room. Your right about cabinets, built on site. Complete gut job.

Studio I could use the closet in the dinette for coat closet. I have been debating the combo range or two piece. I would like to put the cooktop in an island if space is not to limited.
  • manlover
    9 years ago
    I can think of one designer I wouldn't want to work with. LOL. If you have a trusted contractor, ask his/her opinion on the big stuff like taking out walls and replacing appliances, etc. It's good to know where all the pieces and parts are (electric, water, etc.). Let your laborer advise, but then you can choose basic layouts you like, print them out, and ask if he/she can do it.

Don't work with anyone who makes you feel inadequate. That's why I've taken so long to make decisions because finding the right contractors takes time.

My only impression is liking the little bar space in picture 2, removing the cabinets above and using existing electric for pendant or canned lights. Would paint the cabinets a lighter shade and remove some upper-level doors to open it up and provide display space for your nice serving pieces or knick knacks (some call these dust-catchers, but you know what I mean.) Put new cabinets if you must - but with a limited budget, I'd put the money into removing walls and replacing floors first.

My husband thinks of me as Tim the Tool Man because I have demolition projects going all over the house and he can't ever find his stuff. Oh well. Loving it or changing it one piece at a time.
  • studio3600
    9 years ago
    I have double oven on wall and it's just a waste. I would much prefer one large oven and use the space for something else. I have a large stovetop with oven at our summer house and it's perfect. I'd like to change my kitchen but I'm just not ready for the mess. It's in the island and is a very small kitchen. So that's my two cents about ovens.
  • Sandy&Frank
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Man, lol. I appreciate the input the floors we are thinking slate if the span can take the load if not maybe a ceramic that looks like slate. My husband will do all the work lucky for me,
    We get along most of the time lol. That designer you mentioned, I have no idea why he would put that impression of himself out there like that, I'm just glad someone else noticed it other than me.

Studio, the wall where the wall oven and coat closet is I'm thinking maybe put the stove in the center flanked by a cabinet on each side and maybe do some wall build out in a stacked stone to highlight the area. That was pretty popular in the 50 s n 60 s usually brick though