Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieosteen

Need Help With Updating Kitchen at Lake House

bonnieosteen
9 years ago
Help! I can't really change the floor, right now. But what about other updates? Paint cabinets? Replace countertop? What will make this look fresh and airy? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• richmondmel
    9 years ago
    That all depends on your budget. Are you able to replace cabinets or just paint/stain existing ones? Definitely time to change the flooring, the appliances and the fluorescent light if that is do-able.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Add plain floor runners to tone down the flooring. Paint the ceiling light surround to match the ceiling. Make a big difference. Cheap!
  • PRO
    Linx Creative Kitchen & Bath LLC
    9 years ago
    There doesn't look like a lot of floor there so I would look at a laminate or vinyl floating floor that can be installed over the existing floor. Paint the cabinets, maybe a new counter top, something in a granite type look pattern, and it would liven the whole space up. But it all starts with your budget.
  • bonnieosteen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will see what I can find to cover the floor, without tearing it out. I can't replace appliances now, but I can replace countertops and paint. Here's what I found when I took off backsplash. If I can get the glue off that might work, but not sure about wall color. The other picture is one I really like.
  • interiordesignme
    9 years ago
    Change the light fixture
  • User
    9 years ago
    Can I ask, what is the current flooring?
  • User
    9 years ago
    There are even some great *peel and stick* floor tiles out there;)
    remodeled kitchen · More Info
    bonnieosteen thanked User
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    My order of priorities would have to be floor first, then lighting, then cabinets. If you've already ripped off the current backsplash, then you'll have to do that of course, but choose it in concert with the other stuff.

Look into vinyl plank flooring; it looks like it's diy at about $2/sq. ft. If you're a little handy, you can probably do can lights yourself. The electrical is already up there, so it's going to be mostly drywall patching the ceiling.

If you do blue gray cabinets, you'll probably need to paint the ceiling a cooler white. Of course, if you do the can lights, you'll have to paint it anyway.

For the counters, look into Rustoleum Transformations. Don't know if it works on tile. You might also consider pouring your own concrete countertop. There are tutorials on the web.
    bonnieosteen thanked groveraxle
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Just curious: is the floor a combination of ceramic tile and oak strips? It's the dominant pattern in the room by far.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I can see gray cabinets with stainless steel appliances, but the black appliances with the gray cabinets looks a bit dreary to me.
    bonnieosteen thanked User
  • Ilovecolors
    9 years ago
    Love the picture with the gray you posted
    bonnieosteen thanked Ilovecolors
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    OK, Margo.
    bonnieosteen thanked groveraxle
  • bonnieosteen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks to all the suggestions. So, the floor is a combination of ceramic tile and oak strips. It is my least favorite part of the room. So, I will finish tearing off the mirror backsplash, and then begin on the floor. I think I will go with the vinyl plank flooring, but it will be a little darker, as it will extend from what is already there in the entry way. You can see it in the bottom of this picture. Then, I can paint cabinets or countertops next. What about countertop? a darker granite I want to make sure that I am picking the right colors as I go along. I will for sure put in the lights! That looks so much better! I know changing the floor to darker wood may change things up. I appreciate all the direction.
  • bonnieosteen
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    floor
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Granite is a great choice for the countertop. Feel free to peruse our slab photos to get some ideas: http://www.marble.com/materials/granite
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Use a light color quartz for the counter. Use white subway tiles for backsplash. Try the light greyish blue on the cabinets. Install LED lighting under cabinets. You have already decided on the plank flooring to go with the entry floor. Paint the light box in ceiling to match ceilings.
    bonnieosteen thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    There's nothing wrong with either white or black appliances. I hate my stainless now.