Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisa_krieger

My bedroom is almost done, just needs the finishing touches.

Alisa Boo
9 years ago
I need ideas as to where I should place pictures, do I have two above the side table and then another above the bed???? I need an area rug. I was wondering with that do I go with a plain cream , a plain teal, or a combo? The room is a light taupe, and the floor is actually lighter than in the pic it is a gunstock. The curtains are a plain beige, and I have a chandelier that is white with crystals, that will be hanging above the bed and couch. Below is a pic of the chandelier.

Comments (135)

• PRO
    Angela Huff
    9 years ago
    I was thinking take the two pillows from the loveseat and use on the bed like euro pillows and then bring the smaller teal pillows to the loveseat ... or if you go with the bench then still add those pillows to the bed and take away one of the two teal pillows that are the same
    Alisa Boo thanked Angela Huff
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think either bench color would work.
    Could we see a picture with the loveseat removed and the pillows displayed as Angela suggested? That loveseat distracts my concentration when I look at the photo;)
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ok here are the two ways.
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    will be getting a skirt to match the headboard, just have to find one. And sorry I suck at making my bed!!!!!!! Need bed making lessons.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Thanks for doing that Alisa;) I like the room better with that gone. As far as the pillows, I am leaning towards the right;)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Maybe?
    Hurst Pillow · More Info
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    love!!! instead of which ones?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Faux Fur Throw, Turquoise Dip Dyed · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hard to say with throw pillows. You have to play with them. Sometimes the least likely ones end up looking the best.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I like your current throw blanket. I am just having fun playing and virtual shopping;)
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ohh you like spending someone else money!!!!! fun fun
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The room just seems so sparce. I know I am waiting for the light to go up and the carpet but??? I do not know what is bothering me about it.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Well, perhaps you are one of those people who just feel the need to fill up every nook and cranny?? I find the room not to sparse at all. Is there more to the room that is not shown in the photo?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    On another activity page I saw this photo with throw and all.....nice...
  • PRO
    Angela Huff
    9 years ago
    I like the photo on the right as well
  • User
    9 years ago
    I keep forgeting to ask. Have you ever thought of painting your headboard wall darker? A couple shades darker than the current wall color? I think it would give the mirrored nightstands, headboard, and lamps more of a presence;) Maybe even a chocolate color;)
    Lakeview Residence Bedroom · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    I wish I could finger paint;) Thanks Maureen!
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    It's a lot of fun! LOL!
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    The pillow photo on right doesn't have darker animal print pillows. I think its stripes might be too dark? Seems a nice contrast with a muted blue paint....[and to me the headboard and flooring have more unity.]
    For reference, flatter headboard and pictures, also simple bench and even mixed with stripes....
    Cornices · More Info
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    'Stratton Blue' has slightly darker curtains with it, and check if you think flooring's color is quite like your headboard:
    'Lakeshore' from my book:
    Madison 7 · More Info

VE · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    oops- sorry MarleneM- I called you Maureen *hanging head*
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks so much everyone love your ideas, will send picks when I get my rug this weekend and put up my light. Also ordered the blue bench will get that next week. Will then look at room and then decide what to do about art work.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Sounds like a good plan;)
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    Alisa - room looks great. And I think those large floral pictures would look awesome there - they looked great in your mock up - the frames go well with the headboard.
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    Without reading all the posts, I happen to think that art truly wakes up a room. So, yes, I would go for a large piece above the bed and two long rectangular pieces above your night stands.

As far as the rug, you could go with one that has a few colors and patterns without being too loud. A dark Orange goes very nicely with teal as well. I would most definently bring in patterns and other colors with pillows. All you need is two pillows at the most that are teal. Then have a few that are patterned in different colors.

The couch looks a bit too large in front of the bed, in my opinion. I am wondering if you can place it across on the other side, or on an angle. I think a larger headboard and one that will make a statement. Especially if you are keeping the couch in front.
    I do like the look of a bench in front of a bed.

More pictures would be wonderful.

Some ideas below...

East Living Room in Spanish Oaks · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/photos/rugs-with-teal-and-patternsbedrooms-with-teal-and-couch-/p/16
    Heather Lane · More Info

Transitional Bedroom · More Info

Master Bedroom · More Info
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I found some art on Wayfair.com that may suit your room. I believe they ship most items to Canada.
  • PRO
    Destin4 Interiors LLC
    9 years ago
    There have been some great ideas thrown about. Here are my two cents...

The cream love seat was ok wish it was a tad smaller so the back cushions don't hide the end of the bed. Just place the lumbar pillows flat against the back(evenly in front of each cushion). If it's in the budget get a low back settee in a color similar to the headboard.

The bed height is fine the nightstands are actually small chests which are beautifully scaled for the room. I wouldn't do mirrors behind the lamps in this case since they are already mirror looking. I liked the muted pictures you put but they might come off too square. I'd go almost as wide as the night stand and taller than the lamps which I'd rather see with a bold teal drum shade to carry your pop of color around the room. Secure the pictures to the wall low enough so they look like they are just leaning canvas. You won't need the round mirror over the bed(you could possibly use it over a tall chest if you have or another room in the house)

Making of the bed, I liked the throw neat folded across the bed where the cat sleeps. Pillow arrangement right pic had better symmetry.

For the drapes I'd add a vertical banding to add some detail maybe a Greek-key design in metallic and teal or just simply a grosgrain an inch or 2 from the center edge in a soft Aqua.

To advise on rug placement I'd want to see a floor plan. Look forward to seeing which one you ordered and the room all put together. Good Luck
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ok here we are so far. Picking up bench this week. Love my rug, thanks Margo.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hey Alisa *waving*. I like your new rug too;) Cute kitty. I really wish you would consider mirrors behind the night stands;))
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    I think yr room is very nice and you've been getting excellent help(I' talkin bout u margo) and others
    At this late stage I thought I might mention that the lamps seen in the ref pic would look nice on the night tables as thy have more heft than those presently in place.
    Brookly Chic - Carroll Gardens, NY · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    HI anne dee *waving*
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    Margo, Hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving. \0/
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    I like the tone on tone wallpaper in above pic. Would you consider papering your back wall?
    It would add depth to the room and make your furniture pop.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    @alisa, it's looking really nice!
  • chezron
    9 years ago
    I like the teal day bed suggested instead of the sofa. How about pendants instead of lamps on the night stands? I like the painted wall idea too. I would either replace or recover the head board. It doesn't seem to go with the glamour you are creating with the mirrored night stands.
  • Beverly
    8 years ago

Anything new?

• Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    funny you should ask. Originally the room I decorated was to get my house ready for sale knowing I was taking my furnitue with me. Well I have moved and the furniture looks much different in the room, too sparce. The rug is now too small. Need aome ideas how to fix it up a bit. Any ideas how to make it look less sparse?
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    sorry heres a few more pics. The colour of the walks is painted by the pre ious owners. My artwork just blends in. I need either a new colour or a colour for behind the bed. I was also wondering about something for anove the bed to fill in that space.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    8 years ago

Hi Alisa - looks great, but you're right, the room is too big for this particular layout, you just need to move things around and add a couple of pieces and it will be back to WOW!

Instead of centering the bed etc. in the middle of the room, shift it to the left so that your night table is about 3-4" from the wall, then the bed (1 ft. from table). This would leave you with a gorgeous area along those beautiful windows to place a chaise longue or a cozy built in bench for reading (and extra storage). You could even use your current chair, paired with a round side table and another cozy side chair - perfect spot for coffee and a small breakfast.

Your rug will automatically be in scale once it's moved under the bed and bench on the left side of the room.

OR if you prefer, move everything toward the window side and create a cozy reading nook with bookshelves and your chair on the left wall. Also, a long white console table would look fabulous along either wall.

About the color - it does blend, but it also looks awesome with the turquoise accents. You certainly can leave that color up and use something else on the back wall. (If you want the wall to recede (appear further away) you use a darker color - if you want the wall to appear closer (advance) you would use a lighter color. If I were you, I'd find out what the color is and go a couple of shades lighter, unless you don't like the color - it's hard to tell over the monitor. Do you like the wall color with your furniture?

You could also cover it with a white textured paper. (see pic). This wallpaper can also be painted any color you want. There are many designs to choose from - google: paintable textured wallpaper.

Also, I really don't think you need anything over the bed with the paintings and the lamps, the ornamental feel of the headboard is enough. If you lower your pictures so they are about 3" from the top of the tables, you'll find they connect better with the table and the bed and, the space above the bed won't be so obvious.

Here are a couple of layout examples - you'll notice the bed etc. is shifted to one side, leaving you room to do great things on the other side. (Chaise shown in pic 3 is a bit much, but I was trying to show how nice a chaise can look by the windows).

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    8 years ago

Ooops forgot wallpaper sample:

• Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    margo any suggestions???????
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Alisa *waving*... I love the new spacious room!! I too like the color of the room with the turquoise. Ward has given some good advice. Are you willing to try moving things for a pic and critique? Fun to be had;))

• Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Absolutely, will wait till hubby gets home and then take some pucs. Thanks guys
  • Alisa Boo
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    omg my typos are sooo bad. No I am not going to "puc" I will take pics. I totally have typo dyslexia, sooo bad lol
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I agree with Margo in that you should put a large, framed mirror behind each lamp on the bedside stand. Since you have so many light colors, I believe black frames on the mirrors will stand out more and also will go with the zebra stripes in the throw pillows that are on the sofa. Then, I would agree with your idea of putting a large piece of wall art so that it is centered above the headboard. I do believe your bedside lamps are a bit on the small side. You might opt to put these on a dresser and get larger lamps with black or teal shades to put on the bedside stands.

• Trine Vig
    8 years ago
    The bench and the nightstand look great. You need to paint the room in a matching color/tone. Ad some silver art work.
  • Trine Vig
    8 years ago
    The bed does not need to be at the center of the wall - paint a frame behind the bed. Add some cheer curtains to make it cozy and som chairs or a sofa by the window. Play around with som sequenze pillows.
  • Trine Vig
    8 years ago