Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemm49

Help me redecorate man cave .

Paula Hayes
9 years ago
I need help redecorating my future home to feel like it's not a man cave. I like some rustic,but it can be over done. I want to change the paint color. ( Now a light green) I want it to be a mix of both of our styles. The wood on walls is staying . So is the cow head on fireplace. Any suggestions on paint color or any other changes would be helpful. Furniture is brown leather.

Comments (31)

• halfpint2
    9 years ago
    What is your style? I'd combine more southwestern colors to what you already have. The wood on the wall in picture #3 is beautiful, would you consider staining it in a light color? Take a look at some of the photos of Southwestern living rooms on this website for inspiration.
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The wood has been stained . I think it's warm honey. As for my style it's more Traditional .
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would start with a plush area rug to anchor your furniture. That will add some needed softness to the room. I am thinking a cream on cream. But you could really go with any color here.

I would hang that small rug on the wall next to the sofa, but just straight. Not on an angle.

Blind vertical blinds aren't working. I would do simple panels. More traditional for you!
    Warmington & North · More Info
  • halfpint2
    9 years ago
    I realize it's been stained, I was asking if you'd consider a color other than warm honey on that wall.
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the input. As for the staining my love just finished staining this color. And he hates to stain ! I really don't want a divorce before the wedding . So I guess it stays. I'll check out some different rugs to soften the room. Any paint ideas?
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    I just noticed a rug in front of the fireplace. Use that placed in front of the sofa.

Be nice to keep the leather sofa but then bring in a couple of upholstered chairs as in photo above.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    I would do a warm, not very dark, beige and then add my color with rugs, drapes, pillows.
    PS: Paint the ceiling also. Do not leave stark white.
    Cameo Homes Inc., Utah's Luxury Home Builders & Remodelers · More Info
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Pcmom I like your ideas. Thank you .
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Oh, you are welcome!

I would like to see a couple more photos. Right now the sofas are right up against the walls. One thing that would make it more welcoming, etc. is to pull the furniture away from the walls some. That is why rugs are so helpful as you use them to group the furniture around.

I will look for some pictures, but the style may be different.
    Mountain Chic · More Info
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I was hoping you might convince him to remove the diagonal paneling and just keep the wainscoting, but I guess that's a no-go, huh? That paneling does not contribute to a rustic look, if that's what he's after.

Could we see photos of all the walls in the living room? I am pretty sure there's a better furniture arrangement to be had.

The vertical blinds need to go, for sure, and the incongruous semi-Victorian front door could stand to be replaced.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Oh yeah, paint the molding at the ceiling to match the wall. There's enough wood in the house; you don't need a strip that divides the walls from the ceiling.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of beams and taking down the molding as it is not substantial enough to make a good impression.
  • tnk28585
    9 years ago
    Nice and cozy! @ Groveraxle you always give the best advice.....please check out my photos I need your advice :)
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Yes, I was thinking last night after leaving this post that the molding around the ceiling should go.

Also, forget what I said about hanging that rug behind the sofa on the wall. A piece of art would be much better there.

You can ask for a new front door for Christmas. Or anniversary. Or sand and stain!
    Talking Rock Log Cabin · More Info

Entry · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    This color looks close to what I believe Groveraxle is suggesting. Click on for full view. Ceiling still needs to be warmed up, even just a warmer white.
    For an art piece for that one large wall, need not just think paintings. Metal sculpture as shown above these stairs would also work:
    timbered great room · More Info
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm getting a lot of good ideas. I'm adding a few more pics . Notice the paint samples against the wall in the first one .These are colors I'm leaning toward.But after the advise I'm getting I will check out colors also.
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One more photo
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Do we have any leeway in moving the tv?

One thought I am having is it would be great to set up your dining table in front of the fireplace. Then turn dining room into cozy tv watching spot.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I see there is no proper dining table, and that all of the furniture is just sort of scattered about over two rooms to face a TV that's just stuck to the left of the fireplace. Nothing relates to anything else, it's neither cozy nor intimate, and doesn't bode well for conversation.

You need a functional furniture arrangement before you even think about colors and accessories.

If you would use a dining table--and I assume at some point you will have friends or family for dinner--then some of the seating needs to go on craigslist or to consignment and be replaced by a table and chairs. I would put them in front of the fireplace so they are closest to the kitchen.

I would move the TV to the wall where the sofa is now, and float the sofa opposite it, which also creates an entry corridor from the front door. You might have room to keep one recliner at the end of the sofa and angled toward the TV.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    If you look closely at the photo with the front door you can see there is a dining table (I see chairs) in the room around the corner.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Here is a photo with the sofa creating a corridor (back of sofa is towards the rug hung at angle).
    Historic Whole House Renovation - Living Room · More Info
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I see I missed the dining table; it's on the other side of the entry space. Any chance of removing that whole wall where the sofa currently is and turning that whole area into living space? Something to think about.

And while the furniture configuration I show below is probably a no-go considering you DO have a dining room, there are some basic principles at work. First is that the mix of styles in this space just doesn't work. My first objective would be to get rid of that diagonal paneling. It's totally 80's and has not a rustic bone in its body.

Second would be the front door.

Open the windows and replace the vertical blinds, maybe with burlap curtains. Earthy, natural, rustic.

Most of all, declutter and simplify. Too much small stuff confuses the eye and creates an unsettled feeling. Calm the space.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    I love a table in front of the fireplace. It would be close to the kitchen also. Then, if wall comes down you would have a really large space to arrange your seating in.
    Family Style · More Info
  • stacey m
    9 years ago
    first of all, love the cow head! there is a frazee paint color called September Leaf. it is a buttery yellow that turns tan or yellow depending on the light - i have had it in 3 homes, and it is gorgeous. it is also very neutral, even though it is "yellow". don't get turned off by my saying the word "yellow". then, go to pier1 or macys and just get a cool throw blanket and some beautiful accent pillows. consider changing the ceiling fan - that will also change the style of the room. and maybe a flokati or "bear fur" rug or cream/brown zebra rug? cozy (gilt or joss and main.com)
    try an oval mirror hung horizontally in place of the indian blanket - but the hats are cool.
    then, maybe paint the dining chairs lighter color? and put your tennis shoes away. :)
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great ideas. The dining table would be nice in front of fireplace but we so enjoy sitting in front of the fire. Also looking out as it snows. As this home is located in the NC mountains. I like the idea of removing the wall behind the sofa . Not sure he is ready for that. As every wife knows wait till the time is right , and that wall will come down!
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I checked out Frazee paint . It is only available in the southwest . Im gonna visit Sherwin Williams to find a similar color .
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Sounds like you and hubby are very attached to your chairs and tv in that position. Great sitting spot, but very bulky (and comfy) chairs.

I would add a much larger area rug there and shop for less bulky chairs.

Use the rug there to group the sofa and love seat around. And just play with the placement of those. I would like to see you put the loveseat kitty corner next to the window. Then place the sofa directly opposite.

You have angled wood on the wall, so let's play with the angles!
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Bigger than your space, but couldn't pass up the cow skull: Maybe you can have a local cabinet maker create a built in for the tv.

Cottage in the Trees · More Info

Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Humor me, try the angled corner arrangement and post a photo.
    Gary + Gayle: Cincinnati, Ohio · More Info
  • Paula Hayes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will try your idea and post photo. It may be a week or so I'm out of town at the moment. But can't wait to try this arrangement . We are shopping for a new door . And hopefully new furniture soon after.