Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normarushton

How many of us have champagne tastes on a beer budget?

normarushton
9 years ago
My little cottage kitchen was a disaster. But with help from a neighbour who gave my husband homework every day and did all the tricky stuff for a very reduced fee we ended up with a kitchen that works.

Comments (56)

• User
    9 years ago
    So warm and very functional, what a great view out the back also!
  • maureenrowland
    9 years ago
    now that is well played good job
  • babyduck78
    9 years ago
    i like the floor
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago
    Much better, love the view!
  • peoplerpeople
    9 years ago
    Nice job!
  • normarushton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Losthorizonlisa, it was a water air vent so we cut it shorter and put a breather vent on it.
  • normarushton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It is now hidden in the half wall.
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    How wonderful! Oh yes...I think many of us can relate to champagne taste on a beer budget. It's a curse. :)
  • karilynn57
    9 years ago
    HUG YOUR NEIGHBOR
  • diyher
    9 years ago
    beautiful, looks like much more useful space. Also love that view
  • Patricia Brooks
    9 years ago
    Nice Lake back there!
  • Colleen Knecht
    9 years ago
    Very nice colors. Practical and elegant.
  • tikkitalk
    9 years ago
    Wow! So happy for you - what a transformation.
  • Annalee Stallman
    9 years ago
    Looks good.....I would have removed the upper bank over the peninsula to give it a more open feel though.
  • Judy M
    9 years ago
    Even when I think I have a champagne budget, it turns out I need a Dom Perignon budget.
  • Mary Ann
    9 years ago
    Wow! Looks great.
  • cottageisland
    9 years ago
    What a difference! Wonderful! What countertops and back splash tile did you use?
  • normarushton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Annalee, it killed me to put those upper cabinets back in but I could not have done without the storage. So I put them higher then normal. It's a real workout to get the wine glasses off the top shelf but when you are sitting in the living room you can see through to the kitchen and the windows and they are not in the way.
  • normarushton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Cottage island, the backsplash is cappuccino 2"x4" marble. There were a few splurges. The counters are Formica.
  • gduplessis
    9 years ago
    Very nice. Looks like a beautiful view from the window.
  • Valerie
    9 years ago
    It's amazing how much larger the space looks with just a cabinet change. Looks great!
  • Laurel Ennis
    9 years ago
    That is an amazing transformation. I love the rich wood and beautiful countertops. (I'm a little tired of white cabinets). Gorgeous!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Not a disaster anymore. This is a lovely space!!!
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    It's beautiful!
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    I'm speechless. That looks more like champagne than beer!
  • Nadia Abbasian
    9 years ago
    You're lucky to have such a great people in your neighborhood. My neighbors are great too. I love the new look of your kitchen and love the outside view too.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    Huge improvement! I like how you took out the pantry wall and gave it a more open floorplan feel.
    -Angeline, GKB
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    What a dramatic improvement. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Charlotte Sacco
    9 years ago
    It is gorgeous! What a transformation!
  • Gray
    9 years ago
    Love that you went with wood-tone cabs instead of white. I'm tired of my white cabinets and want to do a pretty, warm wood tone like this!
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    The refrigerator even fits it's space now. I agree, going with shorter cabinets over the sink is the perfect compromise. Not moving any plumbing or major appliances helps a lot with the budget.
    Budget compromises abound. In our remodel we're going with granite counter tops because I need heat resistance for canning season, so we're making up the cost difference by using Fasade 18.5-in x 24.5-in Moonstone Copper Thermoplastic Multipurpose Backsplash from Lowe's and quick to lay laminate flooring instead of tile+grout.
  • jeanine2k
    9 years ago
    To losthorizonlisa - I studied engineering, grew up around building as my dad was an engineer, & I've done several of my own projects...there usually aren't supporting walls there, & undoubtedly the pantry is not capable of offering "support" unless there are studs and a header inside it. If you wish to be certain, you can take a look at those joists above it in the attic. Find the exact spot where the pantry is below & make sure the joists don't all meet there (highly unlikely because IF that had been necessary, the support would have been needed for more than a 2' section). There could also be one huge beam on top of the cabinet in question, but under/supporting all the joists above, but like I said, for that to be the case, the cabinet would have to contain major studs & header inside it....If it's just a simple cabinet (no studs w header or 4X4s inside), it's not supporting anything.
  • stlouisgaltoo
    9 years ago
    Thank you for clarifying the countertop as Formica! I was convinced that they were granite. Beautiful! Pssst....mine are also Formica and I love them. My "beer" budget but it works for me. Great job on the kitchen.
  • minnypinny
    9 years ago
    Beautiful remodel! Would you mind sharing the color/style of the Formica you used as well as the name and where you purchased the cabinet pulls? These would work beautifully in my kitchen!
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    Yes, I hear you! I've always had champagne tastes, always will. But I've learned how to work around it, as you have. Nice job, give yourselves a pat on the back!
  • normarushton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Stlouisgaltoo, the Formica is from their 180fx series. Antique Mascarello. Because it is a very large print it always looks different. The handles are from Lee Valley Tools. They are called Radius handles. Definitely the most difficult choice because there were too many options. I finally stopped looking on line, went to the store and did not leave until I had somethingthat I liked the look and feel of and that I could afford.
  • losthorizonlisa
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the help and answers on my support wall question!
  • minnypinny
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much!
  • meora
    9 years ago
    Just goes to show that not every kitchen needs granite countertops. Kudos to you!
  • geunderwood
    9 years ago
    Very nice.
  • PRO
    Cabinets 4U, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Creating a focal point can be confusing! Here is an article that might help:
    http://bit.ly/1r9k4db
  • PRO
    Interiors By Lynn
    9 years ago
    From the pictures, it looks like it followed the original footprint of the kitchen, which is very wise. The electrical and supply lines for the refrigerator, stove and dishwasher were in place. Moving those would have involved $bucks$. It looks like the original cabinetry layout was enhanced with new door fronts. Beau-ti-ful finishes in tile, sink, etc. I am sure this bumped up the value of the house big time. But...what's going on in the adjacent family room?
  • normarushton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well Lynn, the cabinets are all new. They were not custom and purchased REALLY cheaply. We went down to the studs on this one. The adjacent family room will have to be content with its new windows for now and is waiting patiently in line after the master bedroom, the bath and the office. I am waiting, not so patiently, for the renovation fund to be magically refilled!
  • PRO
    Interiors By Lynn
    9 years ago
    Well, congratulations on a job well done and I empathize with you trying to be patient!
  • mgerry
    9 years ago
    Am I a crazy person, or is there a new window next to the stove? If there is I have to think the footprint changed a bit, and that some of the utilities might have moved a bit too.
  • normarushton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, a new window was one of the only husband requests. I found it at a new and used building supply place. It had to be small so that we didn't have to move the stove.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 years ago
    But that doesn't mean @mgerry isn't a "crazy person"... lol
  • Cory
    9 years ago
    What a tremendous improvement - bravo! Did you add a window???
  • Todd Smith
    9 years ago
    Very nice and extraordinarily generous.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Great job.