Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

hyacinth bean vine failure

v1rt
11 years ago

Actually, it really wasn't a total failure because it grew to about 6-7 ft long. I planted 3 plants per pot. Pot is 18 inches in diameter. Dirt is about 14 inch thick. I used Schultz garden soil. It was cheap. I really didn't like the texture. Is the Schultz the culprit since it only grew 7ft max? It was in a full sun area.

I am planning to do it again but I will change the dirt. Also, maybe put 5 plants per pot this time. Or what annual vine grows really well on a pot?

Any advice?

Comments (5)

• 715rose
    11 years ago

Try just 1 in a pot that size.I wouldn't be afraid to use that soil,either.I've not kept 1 in a pot but grow them in the garden every year. Usually they will reseed..When it warms up they take off. I have to trim them to keep in bounds & this is just 1 by itself.
    Rose Iowa

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine wasn't really that much. It was thin. I'll try to look for a picture.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey.. long time.. no time

i hope you arent comparing your result to say.. a zone which has an extra couple months in the growing season??

otherwise.. hyper fertilize it.. w/o killing it ...

ken

• v1rt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Ken,

:D Long time....Been so busy at work...I didn't fertilize it last time. Also, I saw the dirt that I used last time today. It has tons of like grain skin. It doesn't really look like a dirt like what MiracleGro sells.

Neil

• Donna
    11 years ago

Ken has a good point. I plant them from seed here in early April and rarely see blooms until August. They simply take a long time to get big enough to bloom...but they are so worth the wait!

It's a really big plant. I am guessing that a pot is crowding the roots and limiting the plant from reaching its full potential. But maybe not. Try it again and see. There's very little to lose.