Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

So it's okay to transplant zinnias?

alisande
13 years ago

I'd always read that transplanting zinnias alters the flowers, producing single instead of double blooms. Therefore, zinnias should be sown directly in the ground. Yet I've been reading here that it's okay to start them indoors. Is there a trick to transplanting them, or is my previous information simply an old wives' tale?

Thanks!

Susan

who bought way too many zinnia seeds this year

Comments (10)

• calliope
    13 years ago

I have to have zinnias up and running by Mother's Day and hate to do them in the g'houses. The profusions are a snap, but the zinnia elegans are very temperamental as seedlings. They can transplant just fine though, especially if you transplant them on the green side.

That being said, I much prefer to sow them directly in the ground when doing them for myself. They are so happy when you wait until it's consistantly warm and sow them in situ. Nothing could be easier. They take off and fly quickly so why bother with transplanting. Sort of like growing melons or corn. LOL

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Susan, to specifically answer your question: transplanting does not alter the bloom....and that's one old wives' tale I hadn't heard!

I start all of mine inside.

• franeli
    13 years ago

Zone 4 is a short growing season.
    I always start my zinnias indoors and transplant after frost danger.
    I make sure they never get root bound,so that means they are usually transplanted from quart size containers.
    I've never had single flowers.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone. This is such a wacky spring, weatherwise. I normally have sunflowers ready to transplant by this time, but this year they haven't even germinated yet. I thought it was late to be starting zinnias, but if I'd started them at the same time as the sunflowers, I'd just be looking at more little pots of dirt.

However, onward and upward.......I'll start some zinnias this weekend. Again, thanks!

• v1rt
    13 years ago

alisande,

I transplanted zinnias from pot last year and they did fine. This year, I direct sowed them about 2 weeks ago since it was warm. Just last weekend, I saw 3 sprouts. Lately, it's been cold here. They've seen 38F and the seedlings are still doing fine. My sprouts in the pots are also doing fine.

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

Thanks for all this great info. I sowed some in some peat trays and getting ready to set them out. They are the Giant Cactus type. I guess its called that because the blooms look somewhat like cactus flowers. Anyone grown this type? Also, does anyone have any tips on preventing powdery mildew? Thanks in advance.
    Susan.

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

PS, I meant to mention that I am a different Susan. Sorry!

• davemichigan
    13 years ago

I grew some giant cactus last year, and I liked them. After a rain and humid day, they got powdery mildew, but they continued to bloom. I am in Michigan, and I think it would be more difficult to prevent that from hapeening in GA.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted six kinds of zinnias, and noticed that one of the seed packets said starting the seeds early and then transplanting will results in smaller (not single) flowers. I hope this isn't true either, as I love those big, extravagant blooms, especially the quilled and ruffled.