Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warmfluffyfuzzies

A newbie intor and Q re: Garden Patch containers?

warmfluffyfuzzies
17 years ago

First, an intro.

I am a Cali gardener and new to the whole gardening endeavor.

I am planning on turning my deck and patio (south facing) into a vegetable and herb machine this year (I hope).

I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Garden Patch containers? I like them over the Earthbox in terms of having a nicer-looking design, but I was wondering if anyone has tried them before, and what do they think? I was going to order the EBs, then I found them- and now, I'm feeling conflicted.

Comments (6)

• warmfluffyfuzzies
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By the way, the web site is www.agardenpatch.com

• lynn1027
    17 years ago

Hi! I'm a Florida gardener and I just ordered 3 of these boxes from Garden Patch today. The GardenPatch version seems to have everything the Earth Box has at a more reasonable price. My order won't ship until end of February so it will be probably close to March before I get them set up. I am currently using a variety of containers including 3 and 5 gallon nursery buckets with a drip system. Let me know if you get them and how well they grow for you.

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

I am an Earthbox user and hadn't heard of the Garden Patch container previously.

I looked at the website and my guess is they will work comparably, but unfortunately the website gives no specifics as to the 'working' interior design. The dimesions are about 1/2 - 1" larger in all dimensions than the Earthbox which I would regard as irrelevant unless the extra inch of height is for a larger water reservoir, but the website doesn't give that information (that I saw).

As far as appearance goes I don't really see any difference other than the overflow is more pronounced; the earthboxes do come in terra cotta coloration if that is desired.

Still, at $10 less than an earthbox and it includes fertilizer, why not try it?

• containergirl
    17 years ago

Looks like the Garden Patch doesn't come with casters? I had my self-watering containers on wheels last year and rolled them all over the place. Wouldn't do it without, in my small space. So if you add the cost of a trolly to this, it might be cheaper to go with the EarthBox, which come with casters. If you don't need portability, then definitely go for the Garden Patch.

• davidinct
    17 years ago

Thompson & Morgan included a flyer for these containers with a seed order. Price is attractive, especially if you buy 3 more more. Can't find anyone who has used them except the brief mention in the Orlando Sentinel at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Orlando Sentinel:

• diener
    17 years ago

This is the second year I have used the Garden Patch system, I'm still getting some tomatoes from last years plantings. ( I live in Tampa Bay Area ) I have one that I have just strawberries in and they are doing great. Another one I have one 'blue lake bush bean' and one 'Bush Roma tomato' and they are both with fruit now and doing great. I like the system. Planing to buy more when I get more room in the pool area...