Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Off topic Alert to the Plight of the Monarch Butterfly

docmom_gw
10 years ago

Because of a combination of bad luck, drought, development of subdivisions, and the near eradication of milkweed plants in the agricultural regions with Round-Up ready crops, the incredible Monarch butterfly has declined dramatically in just the past year. There were about one third the number of butterflies overwintering last season as there had been just one year earlier.

But, we can pull them back from the brink by simply planting milkweed, which the baby caterpillars need to eat, and planting flowers that can provide nectar to support them on their long flight to Mexico in the fall and then back north in the spring.

For more information, visit Monarch Watch to learn more about where you can purchase milkweed plants or seeds, and which are the best nectar plants (including many annuals). Thanks for your attention to this critical issue. Together we can have a huge impact.

Martha

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch

Comments (18)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I have seen only one monarch at the habitat garden at the school near my house. I miss them so badly, this species is in risk of eradication, it is nice to know other people care. I planted a butterfly garden including Acelphias incarnata and acelphias tuberosa but no takers. Bless your soul for your concern

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every little bit each of us contribute can combine to make a big difference in the long run. The most important thing for us to do in the long run and the short run, is to plant milkweed and diverse varieties of nectar-rich flowers to support them during their long fall migration. Annual zinnias, asters, Rudbeckia species, Liatris, Purple Cone Flowers, and fall-blooming perennials to provide nutrition and support for their long flight to Mexico for the winter.

Martha

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Martha,

I don't want this to come across wrong, but as a single income family where can you point me for cheap milkweed seed. I felt bad not planting for them this year then lost my job. I do have annuals you listed and hope to see one this summer.

SCG

• veggieswirl
    10 years ago

There might be some places you can get cheap milkweed seeds, such as through an exchange. The following link might help: http://www.livemonarch.com/free-milkweed-seeds.htm
    They do request a donation, but they say if you cannot afford it just send a self addressed stamped envelope.
    Here in Orange County California I have seen several monarchs. Additionally, my maternal grandfather and his family hail from the Mexican state of Michoacán. The football team in his home town is called the Morelia Monarchs.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG,
    I am planning to collect as many seeds from as many milkweeds as I can, and I plan to donate them to anyone who will plant them. I'll go to the seed savers forum right now and post a request that educated seed savers make a special effort to collect and distribute seed.

Send me an e-mail in a month, and I'll send you some seed. Another idea would be to find a field or roadside patch of milkweed and keep an eye out for the pods to start opening and releasing their seed. I know that isn't realistic for busy people, but some may have that option.

Thanks for speaking up. We'll find a way for everyone to be able to be involved.

Martha

10 years ago

veggieswirl, thanks for the info. Nice to see they have a note stating that they think they will run out of northern milkweed seed.

Thanks Martha. I will send you an email then. Unfortunately I have never (that I remember) seen milkweed around here but I will start looking hard. I don't see many Monarchs either but hope to change that.

SCG

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

There are alot of wild milkweed here in albany, I can ship out milkweed seeds too in al month or 2, but I need shipping, I cant afford it

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teengardener1888,
    Collect whatever seed you can, and people can send you envelopes with stamps inside that have already been addressed. You just put some seeds in their envelope and mail them back. There are also several organizations that take seed donations and assist with the distribution. Wintersown.org is one such organization that I'm aware of off the top of my head. You just pack up your seed with careful labels of what is inside, and they do the rest. You might see if Monarch Watch would accept donations, especially if they are trying to maintain genetic consistency from one region to the next.

If you haven't collected seeds from the wild before, check out the seed saving forum here on GardenWeb.

Martha

• veggieswirl
    10 years ago

The plight of the Monarch is absolutely not off topic in an annuals forum, because some people wonder about those butterflies. Many people plant some annuals FOR BUTTERFLY ATTRACTION! I could be seeing a monarch mimic, I forget what it is called. I am going to see what milkweed species are native, and plant those. I am planning a trip to Theodore Payne Native Nurseries here in SoCal, and they grow and distribute native seeds. Martha, have you seen any Monarchs in your garden?

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw one early this week. It was the first one I've seen this year. She left some eggs on the milkweed I have growing in my yard, and they've hatched into tiny Monarch caterpillars. It really is a miracle to watch unfold.

Martha

• veggieswirl
    10 years ago

That is awesome Martha! If you go to the zinnia breeding thread you will see that I have posted a picture of some kind of visiting butterfly, I think it's some kind of brush footed butterfly!
    Diana

• eahamel
    10 years ago

I've seen several monarchs recently on my milkweeds. (I'm in Houston) I grow as many as I can, and have a bunch that are coming up from seed, volunteering in several places. But a friend who lives nearby and has a huge milkweed patch says he hasn't seen very many butterflies of any kind this summer at all. I haven't either, just a few monarchs.

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

someone should post a picture of the milkweed not sure what it look like but I may have some in a field near me

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

hi here is a picture of what Milk weed looks like I found some in the field near my house Next year will try and grow it in a pot so it does not spread

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

when it open up it is really beautiful

10 years ago

Thanks for the pics lorna.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lorna,
    There are many different varieties of milkweed. Some will spread more than others, and some will tolerate pots better than others. Where do you live? Find out which types of milkweeds are native to your region, and then choose a variety that will fit in with your gardening style.

FYI, if you go to the top, right section of this page, just above the search box there is a spot labeled Your Profile. Click there and scan down until you come to the spot where you can amend your title as it shows up at the beginning of each of your posts. You can enter whatever info you want to show up, including your state and hardiness zone. That would help all of us by explaining where you come from.

Martha

• coxy
    10 years ago

To really get the whole story and be enthralled by a great story at the same time read Barbara Kingsolver's "Flight Behavior". It's one of the best things I've read in a few years.