Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

Potting mix for hanging baskets? Gritty or Regular?

topie
14 years ago

Hello again, and thank you to all the posters who helped with answering my many hanging baskets questions in my earlier post. Ive decided on Calibrachoa hybrid MillionBells/Superbells for my hanging baskets, along with some white Lobelia hybrids.

Now I'm trying to figure out the potting soil and have been studying the info about "Al's Mix". It was really interesting to read all the info, and I learned so many things about nutrients, drainage, etc. even though I don't think I quite understand it all yet.

My three hanging baskets each hold about 1.5 gallons of regular potting soil. I think I should go with the small batch recipe of the basic "Al's Mix", right? Since I'm planting annuals, I figure I don't need to use the "Gritty Mix", or should I? I plan to let the Calibrachoa and Lobelia go to "plant heaven" in the fall.

I have a few questions about the basic mix still. Please pardon me if these have already been asked and answered in other people's earlier posts. I hope I am not asking too many repeat questions:

1. What is the difference between a pine bark fine and a pine bark nugget (or "mini-nugget")? Is it just that the chunks of bark are smaller in the pine bark fines, hence the word "fines" as in the phrase "fine sand" ?

2. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find partially composted pine bark fines, but am still looking. I can get Timberline brand "Pine Bark Nuggets" at a store near me, but have the feeling these may be rather large. Could I grind the nuggets up with a mortar and pestle perhaps? Or do pine bark nuggets tend to be very hard? I assume these "Nuggets" would also not be partially composted, correct? If the pine bark is not partially composted, will this affect the nitrogen levels in my containers?

3. I can also definitely get "Fir Bark Reptile Bedding" for a reasonable price, but again I assume the bark is not partially composted?

4. The only fertilizer I've ever used in container plants is Osmocote (those little tan-colored balls that come in a see-thru jar). Does this qualify as a controlled-release fertilizer?

5. Is micro-nutrient powder some kind of beneficial fungus?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

1) Yes, fines are ground finer and are more often than not from windrows of last years bark, so are partially composted.

2) I hate to think of anyone grinding bark with a mortar & pestle, just to make a potting soil; and they probably ARE too hard for that. Whether or not the bark is partially composted prolly won't have a discernible impact on N immobilization.

3) Many use the Repti-Bark for the gritty mix. It's probably too expensive (for most of us) and too large for the 5:1:1 mix, but is probably OK in the gritty mix.

4) Osmocote is a CRF. There are many formulas, so if you use it, something like 19-6-12 (close to a 3:1:2 ratio) is a good choice - with the common 14-14-14 (a 1:1:1 ratio) being a second choice. Try to be sure your fertilizer has all the essential elements - at least everything but Ca and Mg, which your plants will get from the added lime.

5) Micro-nutrient powder is a fertilizer that has only (or mainly) the minor elements, like iron, manganese, zinc ....... It's not easy to find, especially in less than 50 lb bags. If you use Foliage-Pro, MG, or Peter's, you probably won't miss it.

Al

• topie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thank you so much Al! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all these questions.

Ok, I won't break out the mortar and pestle. I've done some more searching for pine bark fines on the net and have located some wholesale suppliers of them in my area that say "contact us for retail locations". I will contact them and see if they can direct me to where to get the pine bark fines retail. So far, I've noticed that many of the suppliers of pine bark fines on the East coast seem to be located down in North and South Carolina. This must have something to do with geography, and the forest products industry.

I'm thinking I may go with the "Gritty Mix" now instead of the regular mix, even though I'm growing annuals in these baskets, because I have a crazy dream of being able to overwinter these plants in hanging baskets in an unheated room attached to our house that has south-facing windows. I usually overwinter my geraniums in this room and they've been fine for years. So I'm going to try to overwinter the lobelia and calibrachoa. The winter temp in this room is usually about 55 degrees F. The lobelia and calibrachoa will die outside in the winter anyway in Zone 6, so what have I got to lose?

Will stick with the 19-6-12 Osmocote, great. I usually use MG in an off-and-on type of regimen when I water the geraniums, but will continue to look for the Micro-nutrient powder anyway...you never know.

Thank you again!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Southern yellow pine is used extensively for pulp and treated lumber, so the bark is a byproduct.

Contact me off forum for some help with the micro-nutrient powder.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Topie, may I make a suggestion?

Make sure that if you are using hanging pots,that you figure a way to catch the running water as it drains from tne pots..If they are going to be outside, great!

But inside, you may want to carry each one to the sink, since lots of water can drain out fast in the gritty mix all over the floor..

I found that the 5.1.1. mix was better for me for hanging plants indoors, because the mix absorbed the water better without water terribly spilling out of the pots as they hung in their spots...Just a thought..:-)

I use both...I like the gritty mix mostly in my outside hanging ones...

Mike

• topie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike! That is a good point about the watering and the "gritty mix". When I had these baskets hanging on the porch in the past, I watered with plastic containers placed on the porch floor underneath the baskets, to protect our porch floor, which is very old and made of the untreated wood of yore. It took a little extra effort, but was better than a rotting porch! I figure I would do the same when I bring the plants inside, or water them in the kitchen sink. I water my geraniums in the kitchen sink over the winter. But that's definitely something to consider...

• tride26
    14 years ago

i would be hesitant to use the gritty mix in my hanging baskets.
    i live in denver where it is very dry in the summer so my hanging baskets dry extremely fast. if i forget to water them one day they dry up and die instantly.

i did switch all my succulents and houseplants over to Al's gritty and the 511 mix.
    i have to report they are all doing awesome!