Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenkaye_gw

how much to charge new cllient 4 container pots?

karenkaye
14 years ago

I have a new garden biz. I mainly do flower bed planting and maintenance. I also do customers container plantings. I charge $30.00 an hour. However, a customer now would like for me to arrange 2 large container pots at her business. No problem, she wants me to take care of them all year, watering, fertilizing ect, What would a weekly rate be for any customer to take care of 2-5 pots at there place of business? And...after I make up the pots...do I make 40% mark up for me to keep? Or, more. Thanks, KarenKaye

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Calculate your costs.
    Time is money.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

What kind of plant material are you/will you be tending? Does it require special knowledge to maintain (bonsai/topiary/unusual or exotic plants ....)? Are you supplying soil and plant material - fertilizer? Who is responsible for replacing any plant material that dies? Is it material that requires yearly root-pruning or root pruning in alternate years? What happens when the material outgrows the pot or goes into decline because of tight roots or other cultural issues. How much drive time will you have to/from the site?

Al

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

I think it would be a mistake to offer a contract price with so many unanswered questions. Until you have more experience in this business I would suggest you offer time and material only. Al

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

If you want to grow (sorry about the pun) this aspect of the business, I wouldn't worry as much about making a chunk of change on the maintenance part this year. Nor would I lose money. But if you get a great reference and lots of experience from it, you will make a lot more in the long run. Just let her know that you are doing this "as a favor for her" and that you cannot offer the same rates to everyone (unless you can!).

I would also make sure she understands you are not responsible for "acts of God" such as a hailstorm or tornado that may destroy the plants and/or the containers.

YMMV,

Mike

• sb158
    14 years ago

One idea might be to find out who does office plant maintenance locally and call them to inquire as to rates. Give you an idea of which direction, at least.

• cebury
    13 years ago

Wow, every single post (except mine) offers great general advice from several different viewpoints.

I just had to comment on that one....

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

If you're getting these posts forwarded to your email, Karen, we're wondering how you're faring - at least I am. ;o)

Al

• Donna
    5 years ago

Hi I just read these. I've have the same problem except mine are outside. I don't know how to charge these people. I try and then I think it is to much not enough whatever....I don't know anyone to ask

So ok I'll give a breakdown of one.

2-24 inch planters 2 36 inch planters 2 18" hanging baskets and 2 24" rectangle baskets and 2 10" planters

I buy the flowers and plants and design each one. I supply soil, my tools hose ect.

I fertilize every two weeks and prune and replace if anything that dead.

I drive 19.5 miles one way

So if anyone can help me out in pricing pls do

Here's one

• CAPABLE WIFE LLC
    2 years ago

I view this trade as a florist, charge like the local florist charge, Remember , You have are an onsite person catering to the needs of the plants and containers which is a luxury , not to mention your creativity that you put into the design, online says florist charge 70 percent of the overall cost it takes to buy the plants, supplies, and the number of hours spent on the job.

• Donna
    11 months ago

f I waited a long time fo

• Donna
    11 months ago

Thank you for responding🌻I still struggle with it. My comp has grown but billing is so hard for me. I've tried everything but IIm not booksmart. Designing yes .it takes me 4 hours to write a bill. If anyone can help with ideas on how to charge please help.

• Stacy Saperstein
    4 months ago

Donna, I'm looking at the same thing. Up until now, I have charged Time and Material with a simple markup on plants. For plants, I charge what it costs them at a nursery. Whether I bought them wholesale, got a nursery discount, or went to a box store. I look at the beginning of the season for costs and use it for a templet. It's a pain, and I'm ready to streamline this process to price per container size. I plan to do mock-ups for next year's options and charge per design. Once I have the formula the next year, I can easily adjust the price for sizes. TBD if this will help save time and costs for me; right now, I spend hours on invoicing, too, and that's not sustainable. I'm also moving to a field service program that has costing options and a CRM program. I went with Copilot CRM, and if you don't use a CRM program, I recommend looking into the options out there.

• hollydickle
    last month

Hello Stacy, I want to do outside flowering pots. How did you get the word out? I am not sure who to reach out to locally. TY in advance