Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_philosopher_

Update to my front yard design dilemma

philosopher
15 years ago

OK, I think I have narrowed my plant choice for the "leftmost" (as you view the photo) corner of my front yard close to the house. My options are as follows:

- multi-trunked Pagoda Dogwood

- multi-trunked Eastern Redbud

- multi-trunked Apple Serviceberry (Amelanchier x grandiflora)

All three of these trees have been touted on several webpages discussing ornamental trees for SE Wisconsin. I prefer the multi-trunked look, but I am flexible. To refresh your memory, here is a snappy of our yard:

{{gwi:15182}}

Once I get this corner highlight tree in there, I think the rest of the "foundation" planting will fall into place. As always, thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Comments (14)

• philosopher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also wanted to mention that this weekend I spray painted the planters on the front porch a rich metallic bronze. They look good--will provide an update photo when I have a moment.

• laag
    15 years ago

I think that it will help you a great deal to get through the rest of your planting plan if you stick one of those trees in.

When my father was training me as a teenager, he would tell me to stick any plant in when I was stumped (maybe the wrong term). He said it would give me something to react to even if I wound up removing it later, but at least it would get the project moving. Since this is at least the fifth thread on this same planting plan there are two things that are very obvious. One is that you need to stop thinking and start doing and the second is that your choice for a name is very fitting.

Now don't spend the next three months debating which tree to get. By one on a whim. If you don't like it, bring it back. Just do something while you are young enough to enjoy it.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    15 years ago

What a CUTE home you have!!! All the trees you're considering seem suitable. If I lived there, I'd pick the pagoda dogwood b/c the layered branches look so interesting.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

I believe the Pagoda Dogwood, a beautiful tree, gets very wide. Make sure you plant it far enough from the house to allow it grow naturally. That may be as much as 20 feet from the house.

• barefootinct
    15 years ago

While I love my forest pansy eastern redbud, I think in this situation the pagoda is what I would lead towards HOWEVER, laag is right...you've done your homework now it's time for some inspiration (or intuition), dare we say even impulse...choose one and go for it.

Don't you just love laag. :)

• rhodium
    15 years ago

Another consideration...

What are the colors and types of blooms in your front-yard groundcovers? If it helps to pick a tree, try to co-ordinate with these.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Maybe I can help narrow your selection. I would not plant a redbud near other beds (unless it is a sterile hybrid). Been there, done that. The seeds germinate if you look at them, and you'll be forever removing little redbuds. A quick google search turned up that C. 'Forest Pansy' produces little pollen, so while not being completely sterile, it may not be a problem for you. Still, I would be wary.

• philosopher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all--

Thanks for your comments. I have already screened the trees for color--the groundcover beds are cool/glaucous foliage with white/pink/red/purple/blue/burgundy flowers, so I think all of the trees would work.

Spazzycat: THANK YOU for your tidbit about redbud seed germination! That's exactly the kind of info I need. I'm already dealing with some nasty re-seeders in the garden, so I appreciate this info.

Based on your comments, plus those in the Trees forum, I think I am going to go with an Apple Serviceberry (amelanchier x grandiflora). Now I get to agonize over which tree to get at the nursery, etc., etc. As before, I'll update with photos.

P.S. to laag: A special thank you for your practical encouragement. I agree, I just need to go out there and do something. As a small bit of justification, let me say that it's soooooo hard being a forward-thinking gardener in our staid neighborhood. When I took out those oakleaf hydrangeas, which were a bold choice among the clipped, ball-shaped yews that dominate our neighborhood, I could almost see my neighbors giving each other knowing smirks about about the crazy lady gardener who is pouring good money after bad into her so-so garden. (Gardening is such a VISIBLE hobby, darn it!) For this reason, I really want this foundation planting to (a) look great and (b) STICK. Even so, I very much appreciate your not-so-gentle nudges throughout!

• bahia
    15 years ago

I would vote for the Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' as a perfect complement to the front yard. The tree's foliage color gives season long interest even after the flowers are long gone, and the deep red/purple foliage will complement both the bronze painted pots, the darker maroon roof at the entry, and pick up the maroon flowers in the ground covers. If some of the maroon/purple foliaged Heuchera's are hardy in your climate, you could supplement the foliage color of the tree and bring it back down to the ground plane. I suppose some of the hardy Berberis with reddish foliage could do the same. I would also suggest that some chartreuse foliage with rounded leaves could echo the Redbud, with things like Cotinus coggygria 'Golden Spirit' and Acorus gramineus 'Ogon', if they are hardy in your zone.

• isabella__MA
    15 years ago

A Golden raintree would like nice there too. Its fern like leaves will be a nice contrast to your salient architectural edge.

What is the tree in the foreground of the picture and how will it influence your look? Some lambs ears along the walk ways would add some nice foliage contrast as well.

• barefootinct
    15 years ago

Isabella, I read your post quickly and thought it said "A Golden retriever would look nice there too". Hehehe. Now I'll not be able to look at this photo without seeing a happy little dog there as well.

• rhodium
    15 years ago

Send in a photo of the front yard groundcovers in their full glory. I'm suprised your neighbors were more shocked at the shrubs than the front yard groundcovers. You have taken a bold step in your neighborhood by removing the grass lawn. Not many of my clients would go this route.

Don't forget to remove the grass from the strip between the sidewalk and the road. Lots of groundcovers are salt tolerant.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I have 'Forest Pansy' and it reseeds just a little but not nearly as much as the species. It produces few enough pods that you can pick them off to reduce the reseeding too. The leaves only hold their coloration if they get enough sun. Too shady and they fade to green.

Golden raintree ... now there's a reseeder! I had two and had to remove them eventually because they produced so many seeds.

Personally, I like the serviceberry for that situation, but all 3 are great trees.

• isabella__MA
    15 years ago

Interesting... I have a Golden Raintree in zone 6 (sometimes 5) in part shade, and I have never seen a single reseeder pop up.

The winter structure of GRT is really architectual. Only main brances remain, as the smaller twigs and leaves drop off in fall.