Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

groundcover/mulch in small backyard?

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice/experience with ground covers - organic and inorganic.

I have a very small backyard that is mostly taken up with a 9' square patio and two 4'x4' raised veggie garden boxes. The pathways around them are still bare dirt - I've been scratching my head about how to get it covered for a year.

Some options I'm thinking about are: decomposed granite, wood chips, pea gravel, organic mulch. I also have lots of octagonal pavers and one suggestion was to bury those in a pattern and then plant thyme in between, but I've had a hard time getting things established in this drought. So that's a big concern too. There are no sprinklers or drip - so far I've been watering by hand.

There is a giant orange tree that drops leaves - and it seems hard/impossible to rake wood chips/organic mulch so DG seems better in that way. But then I've heard DG gets tracked into the house and scratches wood floors. ?

Mainly I'm trying to tamp down the dust from the bare dirt, and discourage fleas (it's been a terrible summer for fleas here and I'm thinking the bare dirt is not helping).

Any suggestions/ advice?

Comments (3)

• catkim
    9 years ago

If I were in your situation I would spread a very thick layer of organic mulch, say four inches deep. You will have no difficulty with scratched floors, no water required, and should things change in the future, you will have improved the soil. You can blow or rake up the orange tree leaves. Spray some malathion to kill the fleas; once, then again 2 weeks later.

• roamertje
    4 years ago

Hi! I realize this is an old post, but I'm in a similar situation and am curious what you ended up doing? I'm also debating gravel versus wood chips....

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

@ roamertje ... start a new thread explaining your specific situation. Include photos of the overall area.