Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie144

Front Landscape Design for a Newbie

ruthie144
9 years ago

Dear Wise List,

I'm looking to redesign my front landscaping. It's the area underneath the bay window (see image). The region is shaded in the morning, and gets about 6 hours of direct afternoon sun.

The soil condition is very rocky with poor soil quality. However, I was planning on getting 3yd of compost to make a raised bed to help amend the region. The area measures around 21ft wide x 4.5ft tall (just underneath the bay window).

My original plan was to plant a row of knock-out roses. But then I realized that being in New England (zone 6), it would mean having ugly woody branches for 6 months of the year. I would like something that looks nice year round.

Any thoughts on what I should plant instead?

In my ideal world, there would be a nice layer of taller evergreens in the back, and then some flowering perennials in the front to add color and interest. Some of my favorites are lavender provence, roses, black eyed susans, and peonies. I have lavender provence in the garden bed on the right side. And it is doing very well in the dry, rocky conditions.

Some factors to consider:

1. Easy care-- I have young children. So while I love gardening, I don't have a ton of free time.

2. I like something fast growing, so the front yard can look nice quickly.

3. However, I don't want anything that will grow too tall. I like to keep it under 4.5ft, so that I don't have to keep trying to prune it down in order to not obstruct the bay window. We had a rhododendron at our previous house and it was a bear to prune every year.

I would welcome any advice or thoughts! In particular, I'd love to hear what are some of your favorite landscape shrubs/perennials.

Finally, any idea if it is too late in the season to transplant hollys and azaleas? We have some growing in the garden bed to the right of the image. They seem to be crowding each other, so I was hoping I could move them over to the left side. Saves me some money in buying plants, and it solves my overcrowding issue. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!

Ruthie (a gardening novice)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County