Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

custom-designing an arbour

paulns
16 years ago

I've been asked to design a wooden fence and arbour for the local museum settlers' gardens, and wonder if any of you have experience, advice and/or know of websites to go to for inspiration. I've googled arbors but haven't found sites that offer more interesting concepts. It would be nice to have this one hint at pioneer times and the Gaelic history of this place, without being too primitive or rustic. This is vague, I know, but there are a few months yet until spring. The arbour will be gated, serving as a window into the gardens, not a passageway, and we'll train things up the outsides - a climbing rose, perhaps some honeysuckle or clematis (does C. virginiana really climb?).

I've designed and built one traditional-looking arbour myself, using ideas from the web and books. This was a few years ago; the Rosa rubrifolia and a pink honeysuckle now meet over the top. And that's a volunteer sunflower we didn't have the heart to pull out, and that we called The Bouncer.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:54014}}

Comments (14)

• miss_rumphius_rules
    16 years ago

There's a great book, one of a series that you can probably order through your local library titled 'Gazebos and Trellises-Authentic Details for Design and Restoration' by Peter J Harrison. Taken from field notes, these old fashioned 'pattern' books offer incredible inspiration and are often on my desk rather than on the shelf.

• nandina
    16 years ago

Any chance that the Nova Scotia Center for Crafts and Design is near your area? Or, contacting them could be worthwhile. Instructors at schools of this type very often will assign interesting projects to a class as an exercise for each student when asked, especially for non-profit organizations. Some very creative ideas may be forthcoming, usually at no charge.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Check out this link. You can search for photos that might give you some inspiration. If you scroll down, there is a section on Landscapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: [American Memory Collections](http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/S?ammem/collections:@field(SUBJ+@1(Art+and+Architecture)):heading=Topics%3A+Art+and+Architecture)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Another site that might have links to photos that might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living History Museums

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

This publication may offer information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Gardens Review

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Includes some publications you can view online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic New England

• paulns
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for these links!
    The Gazebos and Trellises book is not in our library system but I've had a look inside on Amazon.
    That is a really interesting idea Nandina, to call NSCAD. They also have a good library, and although they don't do interlibrary loans it might be worthwhile talking to the librarian.
    I take it none of you have designed an arbour, or else are keeping your process secret?
    Bouncing ideas around and off the pictures I've found so far I'm leaning toward a simple structure made of 6x6" spruce, the top cross beams straight. Trying to avoid the Asian-inspired look of most arbours. Not that there's anything wrong with Asian, it just doesn't fit this project.

• nandina
    16 years ago

Paul, yes we have designed arbors and fences. However, the fact that your project relates to a historical museum would make me pause long enough to delve into some research. The time period for which you design was one of subsistance living; food crops, sheep, farming. There are numerous examples to be found of gate closures using rocks hung on rope as counter weights. Might be an interesting touch to include in the design, even though the gate is not meant to open. Did the common use of fence 'stiles' and/or 'kissing gates' cross the Atlantic with the settlers? I would want to research this for possible inclusion. A plain fence and arbor would be fine, a no brainer. But, what possible historical detail could you add that educates the public and fulfills the museum's purpose?

• paulns
    Original Author
    16 years ago

what possible historical detail could you add that educates the public and fulfills the museum's purpose?

Exactly. We could copy exactly a primitive pioneer fence but I believe local people want and deserve something a little more charming. A very streamlined pressure-treated fence imitating the posts and rails of those old fences, oiled with linseed oil/turpentine/pine tar to give them a richer colour, would be easiest to order and install, and might be alright, if we fancy it up a little by topping the posts with finials suggestive of the preoccupations in this area, three finials all the same size, alternating: an acorn finial echoing the beautiful little oak that presides over the gardens, and harkens back to the vast oak stands that greeted the pioneers; Turk's head knot finials made of sisal, for the Maritime flavour; and a kind of granite stone found on some of the beaches here, perfect globes. My wife thinks this would give a mishmash effect though..

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

When are you talking about? I'm realizing I don't have a good feel for the information this museums wishes to convey. Here, at least, the words 'settler' and 'pioneer' refer to 19th century westward expansion. So that is more than 200 years after 'early colonial'. The difference between the two in hows and whys and whats are fairly substantial.

• nandina
    16 years ago

So...does the word 'emigrant' sound better? Sorry that I intruded on your thought process, Paul. Those of us who think out-of-the-box tend to make these sort of mistakes.

• paulns
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess I've been vague. Mostly I was hoping to find a portfolio of fence and arbour designs online. We're far from libraries. This is a remote area. Around here, early settlers came mainly from rural Scotland, mid to late eighteen hundreds.(And the telephone didn't arrive until the 1950's.)
    Nandina, no intrusion at all. The photos of fences I've seen in the museum, which has been closed since mid-Oct., are limited and their style very primitive, and arbours simply weren't used. I'm daunted by the responsibility this project brings with it and would be happy to steal ideas from photographs of other people's wooden arbours, but then come up with something original for here.

Image-searching 'stiles' has been helpful.

• karinl
    16 years ago

Nandina, it sounds as though you've taken offense and I'm not quite clear on why. It seemed to me that Paul acknowledged immediately that you had hit the nail of his dilemma on the head, and responded in quite a positive way even if he did not acquiesce entirely. I wonder if you might have thought that the question from Mad Gallica also came from Paul?

I always find your contributions illuminating, incorporating as they do a knowledge base that is obviously both broad and deep, and would not like your reward for contributing (and educating us all) to be a feeling of offense.
    KarinL

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

OK. The other place the clans were sent was North Carolina. A lot of them ended up in eastern Tennessee, since that was the active frontier at the time. A search on 'Scots North Carolina', brings up some things you might find useful, and will probably find interesting. There should be Revolutionary War historic sites with research/plans but I haven't really been able to dig anything up.

You might also want to see if there is anything on historic ironwork. Historically, custom blacksmithing was much more available than it is now.