Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njcher

It Pays to Ask!

njcher
20 years ago

I've had my eye on some straw bales that various businesses had left over from Halloween and TG decorating last fall. They had been frozen to the ground and thus were difficult to discard. The manager at one place had promised me I could have two bales that were frozen to the ground but I didn't make it in time after the thaw and they were thrown out! Was I ever disappointed.

Thus I got right on it when I had a hunch that the other place had thrown theirs out. I looked right in the dumpster and voila, there it was, the very day I had the hunch. Even though the bales were in the dumpster, I decided to ask the manager if I could have them. I explained that I was a gardener and would use them for mulch. He quickly responded, "Oh, you don't want them. They're all moldy and decomposed!"

I almost laughed. I said, "Oh yes, I want them even more now! We gardeners love it when they're 'decomposed!'"

So one of the workers said, "We have a whole bunch of them that are discarded on the other side by the stream. They're from years ago." The manager said, "Take all you want!"

I went out to the side by the stream and there were about 12 bales of straw, all lined up and easy to throw in my trunk. I picked up the first one and as I put it in my trunk, it crumbled into the most beautiful, black organic compost I'd ever seen! Beautiful fine black crumbles--black gold!!

I've made three trips now and have just about all of them. I have a mountain of black gold about six feet tall behind my garden. I chuckle every time I think about the fact that if I hadn't asked, I'd maybe have two bales from the dumpster but by asking, I now have this huge pile of fabulous compost!

Cher

Comments (14)

• nosyrosie
    20 years ago

Cher,
    I've got to smile--gardening is like a cult, and NO ONE else could understand what a wonderful find that was!

Rose ;^)

• CindyBelleZ6NJ
    20 years ago

Go Cher!

• coloredthumb
    20 years ago

Way to go Cher. I've gotten to pick up a few from the new home construction sites around here lately. The landscapers use them to block the drain pipe under the driveways while they grade out the property. Then toss them! I ask while they are grading if I can have them and most of the guys say "Sure no problem" only a few times have I been turned down because the owner of the property wants them. Then I know who is a "frugal gardener" in the area and take them a plant when they move in, welcoming them to the neighborhood. Great mulch and wonderful compost material for a smile and a thank-you can't be beat.

• yellowhair
    20 years ago

"If you don't ask, you don't get!" That's my new motto.

• seamommy
    20 years ago

Yeah! No guts, no glory! Cheryl

• njcher
    Original Author
    20 years ago

On the first one I mentioned, which happened to be Whole Foods, the manager of the store was so happy I asked. He said, "We were really hoping we could find some gardener to give these to because we didn't want to throw them in the trash."

So in fact, I think people are genuinely happy to see materials put to good use.

So just ask! :)

Cher

• CindyBelleZ6NJ
    20 years ago

Cher, I agree, I would much rather pass something on if someone can use it then trash it. Yesterday was a prime example-I had given an engagement dinner party for my godson and his new fiancee (I'm half dead today with exhaustion) and had some assorted bridelike decorations hanging from the chandelier. At the end of the evening, in additon to giving the fiancee the two dozen white long stemmed roses in the centerpiece, I said hey,can you use these decorations, I heard you say you are throwing a bridal shower for a relative. Her eyes lit up, oh yes, thank you, etc. I would have just stuck them in a drawer for eons! So not only ask, but think to yourself, gee, I can't use this, but do I know someone who can?

• girlgroupgirl
    20 years ago

Cher:
    You are SO RIGHT!
    Recently at my church, (we have a day program for disadvantaged, disabled adults there during the week) we began to ask grocery stores what they do with "old stock" fruits and veg, baking, breads etc. "Throw them away". Well, we pick them up, and picking through them takes awhile but we get enough goodness to cook two hot meals per week, three days of breakfasts and send breads and fruits home with the gang. We feed over 100 people a day this way. The rest goes into the compost pile for the church garden where we grow additional produce to take home.
    Some people just don't understand what things of REAL value are :)

GGG

• CindyBelleZ6NJ
    20 years ago

Girlgroupgirl, that's fantastic!

• alex_z7
    19 years ago

Today I went through some old posts and saw this one; it reminded me that last week I drove by a church that had a "Fall Festival" (instead of Halloween) and they had put straw bales out by the curb. I drove by this evening and, sure enough, they were still there!! It took 2 trips, but I got 6 bales of straw--and just in time to use to help mulch some plants before winter.

I was giddy! I love that kind of useful recycling.

(It's kind of like the charge I got out of putting my old bicycle out on the curb; in less than 24 hours, someone had picked it up. My husband said that he saw someone riding it later that week. I'm tickled that someone could use it. It was in good shape, but I hadn't ridden it in years--too much traffic around here to be fun, IMO.)

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

Some of you may already be linked up (since after all my intro to the idea was through GardenWeb), but if not, check out FreeCycle. The whole point of that movement is to pass things not needed to people who can use them, whether it's your neighbor down the street or a local charity.
    I've gotten rid of bags full of perfectly good vinca (making way for my strawberries), furniture, garden stuff, and craft materials, and received things for the house, a scanner for church, a good "people-powered" lawnmower, and acquaintance with a lot of nice people!
    Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: freecycle

• gardenfaerie
    19 years ago

Last year I also nabbed two straw bales from someone's curb right after Halloween. First I used them as a decoration on my front porch (they were a nice addition to the corn stalks that I had, um, er, well, liberated earlier) and after Thanksgiving, I moved them to the back of my house behind a brush pile I had started for wildlife. In the spring, I worked the straw into my compost bins. I'm so happy other people understand how cool this is, because I wouldn't mention it to most people I know socially, lol! :)

This year, the local library branch had some bales out front and I made a mental note to enquire about them and then forgot again. I'll go check tomorrow!

Monica

• alex_z7
    19 years ago

Hi Monica, it's funny, isn't it, the things we notice? As I am driving around now I am noticing all those fall pumpkins and trying to mentally guess how long it will be until they start rotting and will be dumped, lol. Next week is Thanksgiving so I figure a lot of people will hold out until then before throwing their pumpkins away in favor of Christmas decorations. You know I will be curb-shopping then, lol!

(And I figure a lot of people will use that long weekend to rake their yards, so I'll be looking for more bags of leaves, too. Bag 'em up, people! lol)

• drasaid
    19 years ago

just be sure to toss the seeds where birds will get them or you will have way too many punkin plants!

Sponsored