Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenchic_gw

Anyone shopping Clearence Racks yet?

greenchic
16 years ago

I scored a 4 foot Hibiscus for 4 bucks at Lowes yesterday. It was not in bloom, but has lots of potential-healthy green leaves and a strong trunk. My son picked out a Kalanchoe in an eight inch pot for 3 bucks. there were spent blooms on the plant but after getting it home i saw there were buds waiting to open as well.

Comments (35)

• rebecca150
    16 years ago

Yep. I got a guara and a coopers ice plant for a 1.50 each and a holly fern for 3.50

I have to be careful though. I don't have much room. I'm working on extending a bed and getting it ready for fall planting. As much as I would love to dig out all the beds I could possibly dream of, I can only do so much at once.

• greenchic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I too am short on room Rebecca! Im trying to imagine where I am going to put everything come this fall. Everything has grown so much over the summer!

• kek19
    16 years ago

I got a $30 black pussy willow for $5 and a Rose and Wine Weiglia for $2 at lowes

• magnoliasouth
    16 years ago

I don't know how well they'll do next year, or even if they're "quality seed" but I bought some veggie seed packets at Dollar General on clearance for 12 cents a packet.

• leubafr
    16 years ago

I have bought the seed packets at Dollar General and they work great. Don't throw any seed packs away just because of age. You can still get quite a few plaants from those old seeds.

Frugal Mary

• magnoliasouth
    16 years ago

Oh good! I'm glad to hear that Mary, thank you. I was really kind of worried about that and could easily have seen myself skipping using them because of that worry. Now I'll actually use them! :P

• missinformation
    16 years ago

I normally just lurk on this board, but I had to post on this one. I was at a nursery last Sunday that had 6 huge racks of clearance plants - All good flowering shrubs and perennials, no burned up annuals. I asked the manager what she'd charge me if I took an entire rack. She said $25!!! I wound up with nearly $1000 in plants after they'd rung it all up. I got 2 Texas Mountain Laurels, more flowering quince (red and white) that I even bothered to count, 2 snowball viburnum, several cupheas and firecracker plants, I think 5 different types of spirea, more forsythia that I bothered to count, several autumn sages, several butterfly bushes, several bluebeards, and probably 20 different types of salvias. I had 2 huge new beds ready to go, but I hadn't planned on planting until next spring. They're all planted now, I finished a big project in the garden where I was putting perennials around 3 sides of the raised beds, and I gave away loads of it to friends, people passing by in front of the house and my brother who just bought a house with no landscaping. I can't wait to recover from this one so I can go back and try it again!

• auntie_grizelda
    16 years ago

re: clearance seeds I grab them up whenever possible and then when I get ready to use them, I pre-sprout them on wet paper towels in shallow, flat-bottom bowls that have lids to keep the humidity high. Sometimes I have low germination rate but usually most of them do really well. Worth a try

• mokey
    16 years ago

went to lowes today and they had some racks with indoor and outdoor plants marked down between $2.00 - $5.00. these are large 10 gallon plants. the small house plants were $.10-$1.00. racked up good!

• ih8tbugs
    16 years ago

We also found some really good deals at Lowes this afternoon. Will mean a bunch of time planting in the beds later this fall. Can't wait.

• greengardener07
    16 years ago

I also got some good deals at Lowe's recently.

Double Knockout Roses - 3 gallon pots - $0.50 (got three of them!)

Canna Lilies (Purple foliage and orange flowers) - $2.00 (got two of them)

Caladium - Full size, quart containers - $0.10 (got eight of them, about 4-5 bulbs per pot)

Sweet!

• daesaflgatorfan
    16 years ago

I hit Lowe's today, and got a 3' Queen's palm for $3.00, an 8' for $6.00, and a Rabbit's Foot fern for $3.00, as well as five yellow mums for .50 each!

The palms and fern are on our patio, under a live oak, and the mums go into the ground tomorrow A.M.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

Good deals, all of you. OMG i am so jealous on the whole rack for $25.00. Course, down here in AL, we have had such a drought that i am holding off on doing any new beds until i HOPEFULLY get a well next spring!

• deweymn
    16 years ago

misinformation:

Please go back to lurking. That one made me feel.....nah....good for you. Nice find.

Sometimes all you have to do is ask. I can get American Seed Co packets for 10cents each. Now if I had a spare dollar......

• primgal36
    16 years ago

I saw this and had to comment. I finally went to Lowes. I got some good deals for around here. Coreopsis for 2.49. Hydrangeas for 7.49, and Knock-outs for 6.49. It's rare to see anything for less than that. I have scored beebalm and perennial mums for 1.00 before, but that's as good as it gets here. I also got a Helebore for 3.99. That's great deals you're all getting, around here, unheard of.

• bencjedi
    16 years ago

I personally love the clearance sales at Meijer. All remaining shrubs, trees and roses are down to 50% off. A few weeks ago I bought 2 apple trees and a cherry tree for about $10 - $12 and they were varieties I wanted. Unfortunately I never have enough money to go on a clearance plant-buying spree, but I regularly check over the remnants. 6-packs of 8' bamboo poles are $1.39, so I've been a bit pole-crazy. The thing with Meijer is that alot of garden items are at least 40% off, but not usually marked. I look like a nut hauling plants and garden supplies in and out of the store to use the price-checkers.

• squirrel_girl
    16 years ago

I scored about 30 perennials tonight for $0.25 and a rose for $1.00. Lavendar, Artimesia, Astilibe, sedum, ferns, mums, others I've already forgotten. The clerk thanked me for giving them good homes and the stock boy was sincere when he said, we just don't want them to die.

Hmmm. Where can I put a few Wigelia's and 50 more mums?

• deweymn
    16 years ago

in my garden?

• Patriz
    16 years ago

It's been a bum fall in trying to find clearances lately. Then again, I haven't been so much on the prowl. I did manage to walk into a big box store clearancing their orchids, which were put outside....brrrrrr. I got a cart of orchids (healthy but done blooming) for $0.05 each-yea! I have almost 40 orchids...lol. I trimmed off the dead flower stalks and now have them inside under lights until my next garden meeting. They'll have good homes soon.
    I was surprised to see full flats of pansies in bloom for five cents a flat, too. I'm waiting on the kale to be clearanced so I can put a few in at the local school garden.
    Motto of the season: Their neglect is our gain!

• vegangirl
    16 years ago

I went to 5 different Lowes stores in 5 different towns last week and got lots of shrubs and some perennials at 50% off. Yesterday DH was in Lowes and they had just marked down to 75% off. He got 3 different hostas, a hardy hibiscus, heuchera 'Velvet Night' (got two of these last week too.) and some more things that I can't remember. At 50% off I got a different hardy hibiscus, hostas, heucheras, Russian sage, variegated lirope, salvias, peony, clematis 'Marie Louise Jensen', weigela 'Dark Horse', several different hollies and boxwoods, canna 'Pretoria. For 25 cents my DD got for me: two variegated weigelas, two each of two different spireas, caladiums, and lots of mums.

I love to shop the clearance racks! Last fall we bought 3 racks of stuff for $5 each. These were mostly pansies and annuals but we got them for the pots. There were 30 large Kimberly Queen ferns in some really nice pots. We got many hanging baskets filled with verbena, petunias, lots of begonias etc. and 30 flats of pansies that we shared with family and friends. Mine bloomed all summer in spite of the heat and drought and some are still blooming. We overwintered quite a few of the annuals and enjoyed them this summer too.

It's fun to hear what others get too :-)
    VG

• vegangirl
    16 years ago

Not 25 Cents for everything Dd bought!

• bencjedi
    16 years ago

Man.. I am in Central KY and the handful of different Lowes stores in my area must be trying to maximize profit. There's very little markdown on our plants here. Of course when it is still the 80s and 90s in the middle of October with severe drought, why not? Usually there is one or two clearance carts with some 8" daylily pots for $2 and that's about as low as they'll go.

I stopped at Meijer after work and they are still running 50% off, but they enclosed the garden area outside with a huge tent and started filling the area with Christmas decorations. I dunno if I was supposed to be out there or not, but crept out anyhow since it wasn't locked. The tent made the area very dark, but I found what I was looking for ... a new watering wand since my old one just broke. Meijer checkouts were spitting out $5 off $25 and $7 off $30 coupons good on anything a week ago, so I had fun today with some clearanced garden tools and edging. I just did multiple transactions at checkout time to use those coupons and for each order a $5 off $5 coupon came out (to be used next week). That's seriously cool! :)

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

Hey, there neighbor!

I was just at Lowes yesterday to get some marked down tools and I had the same experience. Lame discounts. Mom got a houseplant for a buck but that was it. I had the same experience with Home Depot. But Lowes has some good deals on Fall Bulbs. 40 Daffs for 8 bucks isn't bad.

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

I take that back. Lowes just dropped its prices on butterfly bushes to $1. Bought 11 to make a hedge. Perennial Gaillardias for 0.50 got 7. $2.49 for Agastache... Why??? Only got two of those.

• bencjedi
    16 years ago

Howdy there neighbor! Lowes must have been watching this thread in our area. Which store did you visit for the $1 butterfly bush? Hamburg 'Hell' store? I noticed a ton of them there the other day, but none marked down. Since we have so many Lowes in our area, please let me know which one. I just need one or two. :)

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

I sent you a mail. :)

• davidakahl
    16 years ago

Hey everyone!

I was at Lowe's yesterday buying a mis-marked hibiscus shrub for 50 cents (it was suppose to be 50% off, but the sign said 50 cents and the manager complied...originally $4, yea!). While I waited for the appropriate approval, the cashier told me to wait until Wednesday and everything would be 50% off. She said they need to make room for Christmas stock.

I am assuming that means more discounts on the clearance racks, too?!

Happy shopping!

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

Meijers now has its fall planted bulbs marked down. 40 daffs or Tulips for 2.99. 25 crocus or Muscari for 2.99 and smaller packets of 5 daffs or tulips or 10 muscari or crocus for 1.79.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    16 years ago

The meijers in my area are now at 75% off ( the bulbs are still 50%) AND this weekend they have coupons for an extra 40% off that. Today I got bags of 25 tulips for $1.50, chrysanthmums, roses,heuchera,purple salvia,lambs ear, beardstongue, variegated red-twig dogwood, and more. I was hoping to score some annual pots but they had pitched them all.

• atash
    16 years ago

I wish I could find food plants this time of year. They sell bareroot in February. I did see onion sets and even some shallot starts, but I grow Egyptian tree onion types so I don't need onion sets.

Earlier during the September clearance at a local nursery I got Clematis armandii "Appleblossom", whose buds are slightly pinkish. They are not really very pink but since my neighbor insists on growing this on the fence between us I thought my share could be slightly pink for a little color. His are the greenish-bud offwhite flower type. It was in very rough shape and half off. But C. armandii grows like a weed here and I expect it to recover quickly, if we don't have a record-breaking winter or some other catastrophe.

The BLUE FLOWERED form of Lupinus arboreus. This is a big, shrubby Lupine (not really "arboreal") from the beach somewhere south of San Francisco, but it is now widespread on US west coast well north of its original range, and also parts of the British Isles, because it was used for dune erosion control. It is probably extinct in its original range and is declared a weed in its native California, but it is well-entrenched elsewhere. The "blue" (actually a bluish shade of purple) colored form is rare in cultivation; the more common is yellow. Half price because they didn't sell!!

Cordyline indivisa, a broad-leaved species from the mountains of the North Island of New Zealand, and also on the west coast of the South Island. Doesn't branch much and has big, wide leaves. Looks very tropical (most of its kin are in fact tropical, typically from Australasia and Polynesia). Marked down from $18 to $7 because they didn't move all year. This is a rare plant in my part of the world too.

• bencjedi
    16 years ago

I walked into Lowes today and anything vegetative and outside is at least 50% off. I managed to find a Japanese Maple tree hidden behind some shrubs. I must have walked past it a couple times before noticing it. If you have ever seen 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' and the little pine tree.. THAT IS THE TREE I FOUND TODAY (except Japanese and maple... lol). There was no price tag, but it scanned at $34.95. This tree needed some love, so I happened to bump into the general store manager on the way to set the tree back outside and asked him if he would sell it to me for $5. He motioned me to the register and a minute later he did a price override! This is the same guy that gave me a slick deal on some butterfly bushes a couple weeks ago. This guy rocks! SO happy! :)

{{gwi:51925}}
    "Charlie, cheery-up buddy!"

• dorisl
    16 years ago

Went to Lowes this morning. I found fall bulbs 75% off and also the organic slug baits were 75% off on clearance so I bought em all.

I HATE slugs.

:)

• greenchic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello all!

Once again, i found a few big box clearence deals. Six inch peace lilies for 50 cents each-they just needed water and are in perfect condition, huge coconut palm tree for a buck-just needs a lil TLC, and a few succulents going for like 25 cents each. Looking forward to the future deals.

• greenjay
    15 years ago

I am just green with envy at ALL of you ! I'd be hitting those clearance racks BIG time , except that I'm gearing up for a major move from South Carolina to the Western New York area in the next couple of months and simply had to vow that I will buy nothing that has to be moved ! Drats ! So some of you folks have got to promise me that you'll get out there and score some major goodies for me! Ha Ha! Already making plans for next year though , so look out in August of 2009 , and happy shopping to one and all!~
    Jay

• dorisl
    15 years ago

hee! I got a big ole chocolate mint coleus yesterday for two bucks. Trimmed off the biggest stems to root in the kitchen and planted the nicely trimmed plant in the front.

I will try to ALWAYS keep this chocolate coleus going from cuttings.

Sponsored