Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

How much do you usually spend?

On gardening in an average year, how much do you spend on plants, soils, pots, seeds, etc...? What do you spend it on?

My budget is rarely over $100 which usually is about $60 on plants, $12 seeds, $8 potting soil, and $20 for bulbs/tubers like Dahlia, Caladium, elephant ears.

I quit buying pots when there weren't any decent-sized ones for $1 anymore. How ridiculous is a $5 pot with a .50 plant growing in it?

Comments (14)

• SoTX
    12 years ago

Any given year I prob'ly spend $300 depending on my focus, etc. My goal is to supply as much of my own food as possible, so my expenses are different from those growing only ornamentals. Some years I spend considerably more--like when the neighbor's cow tore everything up, like when the rabbits eat well, etc.

• herbal
    12 years ago

This year has been pretty outrageous since I just moved to my property and have been on a planting spree. I aim to grow as much of my food as possible also, so I've purchased mostly fruiting trees and shrubs, and amendments for them for the soil. So far, about $1000. Next year I'd like to stay around $400.

• katkni
    12 years ago

My estimate is probably $300/ yr. We have been digging beds and establishing gardens since moving into a gardenless home 3 years ago. I have started exchanging seeds, and have excess seeds from previous years, so I expect to cut that back a lot, at least by half. We'll see how that plan goes, because the catalogs have started arriving.

• ga_karen
    12 years ago

Mine varies from year to year. I try to buy one or two things that I really want each year...like good quality trees (fruit or shade/ornamental). The rest that I spend is on seeds, plants & anything marked down that I can use.
    I also exchange seeds & plants with folks on other gardening boards. I've gotten starts of LOTS of things that way...and I don't count postage in my garden expenses...that's friendships!

• KingsTable
    12 years ago

I try to stay under $100 and grow mostly fruits, veggies, and herbs. The first year was definitely more, mainly because I didn't know what I was doing or where to get cheaper supplies from. I'm expecting this next season to be well under $100 since I have some seeds saved and am building beds from found materials.

• barbe_wa
    12 years ago

So far this year, I've spent about $100 on seeds, $50 on bulbs including both ornamental and onion starts, $20 on potting soil which I buy by the pickup load and have to lighten with perlite or vermiculite. I have fertilizer (mostly chicken manure left from last year and compost from the kitchen/garden scraps I recycle in the worm bins). When I need manure, I buy it from the chicken farm not too far from here and it's only $15 a pickup load. I grow most of our vegetables and fruits and can, freeze and dry a lot every year. I also attend a lot of plant swaps and do seed trading on-line to keep expenses as low as possible. I wintersow just about everything using recycled milk and water jugs.

• jaco42
    12 years ago

It depends wether my Wife goes to the nursery with me or not and it's not lying if there isn't a reciept

• ezzirah011
    12 years ago

I am still establishing my garden a lot and every year I have a big expense, of about 200, then the other 100 on seeds and such. This year I will install a drip irrigation, but this is the last year of a big expense I think.

• FaeQ
    12 years ago

Most years I can keep it under $100, because I have so many pots and supplies that I have gotten from curb shopping and freecycle over the years, all I have to buy is seeds and fertilizer. My best friend's husband is a painter, so I get buckets or free. Last year, I traded for seeds and only spent a little over $5 (postage) for all of them. I also recycle potting soil by mixing old soil half and half with new. I use toilet paper rolls instead of peat pots, and yogurt containers for starter pots. Get all my trays free simply for the asking at the big box stores. I also save seeds every year, since I grow a lot of heirlooms.

• vermontkingdom
    12 years ago

It's a game of sorts. I pride myself on how much gardening I can accomplish without spending and yet, axillary costs can add up. I often drive to a horse farm to get free manure. Over the course of the spring, summer, and fall, I probably make between eight and ten trips. It's about 25 miles round trip. However, if I do so on Sunday mornings, church takes up about half of those miles. Just take off your suit coat, put on the boots and load 23 five gallon containers of horse manure into your little red Neon. You can then add, old wooden pallets for raised beds, freebie leaves, UCG, free cycle windows for the raised beds, etc. I wonder how much I spend on gas each year to get my free stuff. Heck, it's a game and, quite frankly, it's fun.

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I usually spend between $1,000.00 and $2,000.00 per year. Sometimes a little more if I am doing any hardscaping or getting a dump truck full of dyed hardwood mulch. Most of what I spend is on Hostas. I do a lot of annual flower seed starting as well and usually spend a few hundred a year on that. I go through lots of bales of peat and bales of vermiculite making my own potting mix. I also buy a lot of stuff on sale and clearance. I always shop around for the best deals so I can get the most for my money.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

when I first started out I spent a lot,now its mostly on mulch a few new plants and save my garden seeds and ask friends for starters

• gran11
    12 years ago

Hi; I usually spend under a hundred. The smartest thing I did
    was plant lots of perennials and then any empty spots I would buy small assorted annuals to fill in. I buy soil and fertilizer and mix usually under 20 put that on. Then I let nature take its course.

• eddyfletcher
    12 years ago

Wow! I spend maybe $20 on seeds and $20 on seed starter mix. Most seeds I start with a mixture of mix and moss. It works fine for me. I trade tomato plants for others and save seeds. I've spent a lot more in the past without obtaining better results. For bulbs, I divide and trade with friends. I have to admit I got a lot of potting soil a few years ago and continue to use it for potting-up. My tomato stakes I got for free by cutting down a lot of bamboo that a neighbor wanted gone.

Sponsored