Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladydy8_gw

Seed Starting

Ladydy8
12 years ago

I recently read a great idea for recyling the Keurig coffee pack cups. Use them as seed starting cups. They already have holes punched in the bottom and are the perfect size for starting seeds.

Comments (8)

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

That's a great idea! Unfortunately I drink way too much coffee to use the kurig cups. But my mother in law uses them. Maybe I'll ask her to save them for me.

• wildrosesocal
    12 years ago

I think those little cups are cute, but too small. Kind of like egg cartons. I like to roll newspaper pots of varying sizes. Cut newsprint strips about 3" wide and wrap around a cylinder (small plastic bottle). Fold the bottom over to close it, then place snuggly together in a foil tray or pie plate. Fill with seed starting mix and add seeds. Easy to water from the bottom.

This works well in my dry climate. Humid places might have trouble with mold.

wildroseSoCal

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Since I grow in my basement, humidity is a huge problem. So far, reusing yogurt cups has worked rather well. I just use a utility knife to poke drainage holes in the bottoms.

I am trying out winter sowing this year. I have visions of a sizeable garden, and I also do my mother in law's yard, but a very modest budget. And I have a limited amount of space in the basement. We'll see how it goes.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

"I recently read a great idea for recyling the Keurig coffee pack cups. Use them as seed starting cups. They already have holes punched in the bottom and are the perfect size for starting seeds. "
    I dont know what theses are ? The best coffee cups dont have holes in the bottom ? So what are these ?

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I sometimes use disposable plastic cups from the dollar store for seed starting. I use the tip of a soldering iron to melt drain holes in the bottoms. I tried other methods to make the holes but the cups always cracked. I tried using a knife, ice pick and a drill. The clear plastic cups last a year, the colored ones last a few years.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

I dont know what theses are ? The best coffee cups dont have holes in the bottom ? So what are these ?
    ==========================================================
    I'm not a Keurig coffee guy either, but these cups are made for a special, single-serving coffee maker. The cups look like plastic ramekins and you place them in the coffee maker to make a single cup of coffee. Too expensive for me.

As far as starting pots goes, I've had pretty good luck with salvaging those 6 pack seedling trays through the years.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Do you use sour cream, yogurt, cool whip in plastic containers? If so, these can be used for starting seeds..just make sure you punch drainage holes in the bottom of them. You can put Glad press & Seal or Plastic wrap(Cling wrap) over the top, secured by rubber band or even duct tape..there has to be some air holes punched in after the plastic wrap or Press and Seal is on. What about margerine containers in plastic? You can use that..those and Cool Whip have the type of lid that you can cut around the inside ring and put the above plastic wraps on secured by the lid of margerine or cool whip, after you have cup the inner circle out. Use canned frosting? There's another container that you could use to start seeds in. We buy the 8 or 10 oz. bottled water to take in the car or on night stand at night. You can use those, just cut around the neck of the bottle, and put drainage holes in the bottom. One experienced gardener on GW forums uses cold drink cups and puts Glad press and seal over the top or uses the lid of the clear soda cup you get from fast food places. Some 7-11 serve sodas or slurpee;s in a clear cup..save that and use it. Do the same thing with drainage holes at the bottom. Use plastic milk jugs..they are the best! Some containers that you get baked goods or deli foods in will work too.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Read the creative recycling post a few up from this. Lot of good ideas for you.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths