Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeliz

hay rack ideas please!!

beeliz
16 years ago

I need some ideas on how to improvise on a hay rack for my pygmy goats..I only have two females so it doesn't need to be very big...any ideas??

Comments (7)

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

All I know is you want it low So it dont get in eyes..They have different hay racks at any tack shop.Also have net bags you put hay in and hang like on fence post.

• grullablue
    16 years ago

All I use is an old gate that has horizontal bars (not sure of the width, but they can get their heads in it.) I have it fastened in a corner, so the "feeder" area is triangle shaped, but small enough that they can't or don't climb inside it. Otherwise, if you wanted an idea on making one, if you go to www.premier1supplies.com or something like that (just look up premier 1) they have "feeder panels" you can buy, and they also have plans to make one.
    ANgie

• marquisella
    16 years ago

I used a wood pallet, usually can get for free.

Slide one or two of the slats over so they can get their heads in.

Attach in a corner.

M

• littlecritterkeeper
    16 years ago

Don't use the rope hay bags from the feed stores!!! One of my Nigerian Dwarves got stuck in ours. Luckly we got there before she got hurt.

• babblingbetty
    16 years ago

Exactly, don't use the rope ones from the feed stores....we did lose a nice bred boer goat, poor thing became entangled in the longer ropes and hanged herself.

• beeliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

aww..sad. That's not the first time I heard of a goat getting entangled and hanging itself. I'm nervous of that happening so I try to be careful of their surroundings. Anyways I've used an old dog cage for the hay rack..it sits up on top of their house which is inside the actual gazebo/barn...they can jump up on it and get to the hay this way without it being on the ground. works well...
    a friend of mine lost a milking goat with a regular hay rack..the kind that has a v shaped side..it got stuck because it was high up actually she wasn't using this rack,she was storing it up near the ceiling and somehow the goat climbed up on the window frame and jumped up to it,getting it's neck caught and strangled. awful. so I',m careful!!

• roostersgirl
    16 years ago

we used the bed frame from a old futon bed that someone threw out. we used the bottom part, and attatched it to the back of the trough with clamps that you would attach pipe to a wall with, and put wire from the wall to the top of the frame and angled it out so it was wide enough opened to put hay in, and the trough catches the most of the hay that they would normaly loose on the ground. works well for us, and was plenty cheap enough. sandra