Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Planting swiss Chard

sue_ct
10 years ago

I am a little late to the Swiss Chard party, just tried it for the first time last year and loved it! Now I want to add it to my garden. I almost forgot to get some. I picked up the last 2 pots of Bright Lights at my local nursery and I want to get them planted. Since I have not grown it before I don't know how sensitive it is to being transplanted. These are about 3" pots but have a ton of plants in each one. Should I just plant them "as is", or is it better to break them apart into several smaller plants and will it tolerate this?

I was also wondering if Beetles chomp this plant. I was considering planting it in a raised bed that had basil last year but the basil was feast for the beetles (japanese, Oriental AND Asiatic) and I was constantly digging around the base of the plants to find and squish them in order to preserve enough basil to use. If the same thing is likely to happen with the Swiss Chard I would probably try a pot or maybe put one in main garden next to the tomatoes, although there is little space left at this point.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (8)

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

I always direct sow my swiss chard -- next year, pick up a pack of seeds for less than the cost of your two transplants :) -- so I can't help with the first question. But I did not have trouble with beetle damage on my chard last summer, even when nearby bush beans were completely wiped out. Of course, my basil was OK last year, too, so maybe the bush beans were just tastier than either of the other two!

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

If they aren't too hard to detangle, you may want to separate them. You will get more production if each plant has more space than being on top of one another.

I haven't noticed any pests, but I only first grew it last year at the end of fall, and then this season. I've already gotten several harvests out of them.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I think it's slugs, earwigs, or pillbugs that eat mine(since I know I have plenty of these pests), but not enough to take drastic action. There's always more than enough to harvest and they just keep going and going and going. One I planted last spring is just now starting to bolt.

Kevin

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

Swiss chard is VERY tolerant of having its roots mishandled. It even recovers from having its taproot cut off. Just be sure to provide constant moisture and (if possible) shade during the establishment period for any plants that had their roots damaged.

• christripp
    10 years ago

I've only ever spread chard and kale seed, never plants so can't help with advice there but the above posting looks like you should be successful.
    If it helps, perhaps but them in a bowl of water to loosen the roots from each slip if you want to seperate them before planting? I'd still invest in some seed, to sprinkle around and you'll then have a later crop. Most chard is heat tolerant and will still keep growing well into the time the cold weather comes (they like that best) I've seen photo's of it and kale growing under the first snows, but we get too much of the white stuff to be able to FIND the veg under it:)
    If you want to get a good deal on Kale seed, I buy the packs of hundreds of organic "sprouting" seeds from the health food store. You would think that would cost more then a usual seed packet but I don't think they figure on you growing it to full size, Here I can get just under 4OZ of seeds for $3.99 (black or green kale)
    I love that you can go out and just pick off leaves and still leave the plant to grow, SO worth it!
    I've had slugs and bug take chops but they have never done enough damage to kill a plant, nor even eat a whole leaf, just holes and such.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Chard has been fairly trouble-free for me insect wise; some years spotted cucumber beetles chew on it, but they seldom cause more than minor damage. Other years the grasshopper damage becomes noticeable.

But the worst damage I ever had with chard was due to... goldfinches??? A flock of them learned to peck on the leaves, and within several weeks, had eaten a stand 12" tall down to the ground. The next year I used floating row cover over the chard, which effectively stopped the bird damage, as well as the beetles. I highly recommend the use of row cover for the best-quality leaves.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advise!