Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

Good luck for peaches in winter

dennis1983
12 years ago

Hi

I would like to say good luck for peach growers for winter, so peaches can survive winter. I know it is little late to say that, but there is still winter (U.S.A. use determination season as astronomical way). I know U.S.A. has been quite warm this winter.

How has been your winter been? I think i saw some messages saying some plants try to wake up. I think there is risk of frost if peaches flowers too early. But frost is also risk in Georgia which is peach state. It depends what stage flower buds are, how cold tolerant they are - if you have flower buds. Warm weather might help flower buds to survive winter, if we exclude fast temperature drop after warm weather which might make damage to peaches.

I meant good luck for spring, so flower buds cab survive in spring when there might be risk of frost in southern U.S.A. as they probably don't have too much cold weather for peaches. Unless you are growing some Florida peach varieties which might be less hardy. Eastern U.S.A. can have luck for that winter, but also in above mention frost thing. I meant Michigan, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania area, it might have called great lakes area or northerneastern part of U.S.A. or how you call it. Also Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri area, so you don't feel you got excluded. Older peaches are stronger in winter, i know. I have snow in ground so that protects peaches. Also warm autumn helped mine peaches, or so i think. Hopefully mine peaches survive this winter.

Comments (18)

• denninmi
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I hope your peaches survive the winter, too. I know that Europe has been hit with very severe cold. How has the winter in Finland been compared to average?

I live in Michigan just northwest of Detroit. We have had an extraordinarily mild winter, temperatures much above normal but still cold enough to keep plants dormant. And almost no snow. We have had a few brief periods of low temperatures in the range of -10 to -15 Celsius, but that is still 7 or 8 degrees Celsius above our normal minimum low temperatures in winter.

We actually had our heaviest snowfall of the winter during the evening last night, about 7 to 8 centimeters. Which by our standards is not very much. Next week, temps are predicted to be around 3 to 5 Celsius, so it should all melt.

Peaches do very well here, and used to be widely grown commercially for local sale until development replaced the farms.

• eskota
    12 years ago

Most of my fruit trees are still dormant, excepting one variety of pear breaking bud, one variety of plum starting to swell buds, and one peach tree (Belle of Georgia) in full bloom. Probably six weeks early, and very likely to see a hard freeze kill the flowers.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Denninmi hi

I hope your peaches survive the winter, too. I know that Europe has been hit with very severe cold. How has the winter in Finland been compared to average?

Thanks of your message. Thanks of those nice words. I think my weather in this winter has been colder than average.

I live in Michigan just northwest of Detroit. We have had an extraordinarily mild winter, temperatures much above normal but still cold enough to keep plants dormant. And almost no snow. We have had a few brief periods of low temperatures in the range of -10 to -15 Celsius, but that is still 7 or 8 degrees Celsius above our normal minimum low temperatures in winter.

Do you have peach tree? And if so what variety? I think peaches don't need cold weather to flower. I think dark days help keeping plants dormant even if you have warm weather. Plants need light too for growing in addition to warm weather. You said you have no snow, i think it is not problem as you said you had few short periods of -10 celsius to - 15 celsius weather. I have seen in Detroit temperature have been above 0 celsius in days. I think roots tolerate low temperature, but warm temperature helps keeping ground temperature enough high even if you had short periods of cold weather without snow cover. I think problems comes if you have long time cold weather without snow cover for protecting peach roots. Roots tolerate less cold than above ground parts of plants. Snow cover helps keeping ground temperature high. I think your plants can tolerate that weather, unless next year flowers was not some way complete so they could tolerate cold weather but i think you have so warm summer that shouldn't be problem.

We actually had our heaviest snowfall of the winter during the evening last night, about 7 to 8 centimeters. Which by our standards is not very much. Next week, temps are predicted to be around 3 to 5 Celsius, so it should all melt.

Yes in great lakes region you get a lot of snow, lake effect snow i know. I don't know how to calculate how fast snow will melt, but i think it might be possible that snow to melt.

Peaches do very well here, and used to be widely grown commercially for local sale until development replaced the farms.

Yes Red Haven peach is from Michigan. Good peaches do well in Michigan, i think you are right about that. You have nice warm growing season there in Michigan. I think growing season warmth is important for growing peaches. I think if growing season is too cold, flowers don't form good way and are not ready for winter. I meant if growing season is cold and cold weather arrive in winter flowers might die in winter. If growing season is enough warm flowers are in better situation and can survive cold weather in winter. Also growing season length is important. There is limit how fast plant can grow, at some point higher temperature don't give you faster growing. Actually too high temperature can be harmful plants as they dry faster if weather is dry. What you mean by last thing? Until development replaced the farms do you mean commercial sale in shop?

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Denninmi hi

Thanks of your message. Thanks of your weather information. Looks like i need to wrote little bit more about our weather. You wrote "We have had a few brief periods of low temperatures in the range of -10 to -15 Celsius, but that is still 7 or 8 degrees Celsius above our normal minimum low temperatures in winter." That is your zone 6 weather, what is your determination of normal? I guess you meant common way it, or 1981-2010 weather averages? Weather average is counted 30 years of data and updated 10 years intervals. U.S.A. has already if i remember right july 2011 changed to current 1981-2010 weather average. We have just changed january 2012 to 1981-2010 weather averages. Winter is still going on here, i think winter has been colder than average. We have been 0 celsius on someday, but many days below 0 celsius. I think we had 28 days in a row when temperature didn't rose to 0 celsius. I have snow so it protects peach roots. I think it is normal to have days where temperature rose to 0 celsius in winter. It is also dark here so i think plants are dormant and don't wake up.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eskota hi

O.K. for information about fruit tree situation. I saw your message earlier, but i was little slow on comment to it.

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Hi Dennis! Here in Rhode Island (I live on an island in this state) the temperatures have been severely up and down! For example it was only 37 degrees F here today and tomorrow it will be over 50 degrees F. Usually my apricot is the first to bloom but it looks like my peaches and nectarines will bloom first. Since it is March in our state, the sun angles after February 14th are strong. Should there be a frost or small snowfall, the trees will be fine! Good luck to you in Finland and Kimi is back in F1!

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MrsG47 hi

Thanks of your message. O.K. for weather information. We are going toward summer (In northern hemisphere). Your peaches do not yet flower? I got that idea from your message. I have got idea that apricot flowers usually earlier than peaches. I am not much into sport. Do you mean your stronger sun melt that snow if you got one? I think that is possible. Thanks for saying good luck to me.

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Yes, Dennis, about the snow! We have had no snow this winter. A few small flurries, but that is all. This week it will be 60 degrees F. Spring is here and the serious spraying is soon to begin. Good luck with your peaches. Please take pictures. Thanks, Mrs. G

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MrsG47 hi

O.K. of weather information. I think your peaches are o.k., you don't have too cold weather there. You are going to spray your peach trees? I think it is good idea, in eastern U.S.A. there is diseases because humid weather. Just remember to spray enough early so chemicals can be efficient. Thanks of hoping good luck to mine peaches.

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Dear Dennis, I already have my spray schedule in order for all of my trees but especially important is the spray for my peaches and nectarines. There are many insects that love them, but also birds and nasty squirrels. Do you have a lot of squirrels in Finland? Mrs. G

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MrsG47 hi

I think we have squirrels, but not a lot i think. It is relative term what is a lot of squirrels. I don't know how much squirrels we have. What you mean by nasty squirrels? Those squirrels who took peaches? It sounds like you have problem with them.

• daemon2525
    12 years ago

How can you not know if you have squirrels? Do you see them running around in your yard?

If you do not see little animals running around then you have no worries..

I have seen 12 or more just by looking out the window.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Daemon2525 hi

I think we have some squirrels. I have not counted them. I saw last autumn one squirrel. It was in electric column then it jump to tree. I don't see them in our yard. I think squirrels are less problem here than in U.S.A. it sounds like that way.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

Hey Dennnis. In Iowa we have had a very mild winter, I believe 4th warmest on record (our records go back to the 1870s, I believe). I don't think it got below -10 F this winter. I am optimistic about this coming growing season, but realize that a late freeze could wipe us out. Our grass has not started to green up yet.

I have a small yard with three peach trees. Last year I had a third year tree that produced about 100 fruit. That is the best I have ever done. Three winters earlier I lost all my young peach trees to temps below -30 F. In Iowa we have no commercial peach production due to the climate. Michigan is at our latitude and in many cases farther north, but winter temps along the west coast of Michigan are warmed by Lake Michigan, hence Michigan had significant peach orchards, and still has some commercial production.

Where are you in Finland that your winter is mild enough to grow peaches? I envisioned polar bears, and reindeer as part of the landscape / snowscape there.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

Dennis,

What varieties do you grow? Also please respond to above post.

Thanks.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mark_roeder hi

Your lowerst temperature is not very cold this winter. Yes frost can kill flower buds, but that is different story. I think warm growing season helps peaches to survive winter.

You got fruit, so you can be satisfied if you think you are edge of growing peaches (And if you liked your peaches). I have read own grown peaches are better than in shop peaches.
    Michigan can be warmed by great lakes in winter. I think they have commercial peach production there.

I live in western part of this country. I have 2 peach trees, which i planted last year. I have White Lady variety and Frost peach varieties.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

Are others in your area growing peaches successfully?

Just did some checking along the coast of Finland and looks like mild winters and cool summers; is that right?

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mark_roeder hi

I have read Frost survive few winters place what is southwest from me. I think we don't have much experience of growing peaches here.

I think you are right mild winters and cool summers is about right. Our summer is not as warm as in charlotte, Nortch Carolina, U.s.A.