Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycdweller

Corner living room with amazing views -- but where to put a TV?

nycdweller
11 years ago
I have a 12' by 12' living room with two windows that face sweeping city views. I'd love to relax on a couch which faces the views, so I'm thinking of putting a couch against the left wall.

In the evening, I'd like to watch TV on a big ~50" flatscreen TV and still be able to see the city lights outside of my windows.

However, Given this layout, I'm not sure it is possible. All I can think of is mounting the TV diagonally in the top-right corner. This would block approximately 16" from both the top and right windows. (For reference, 16" is two-thirds the width of one of the smaller window panes). I'm afraid this will look awkward and also think it will be annoying to view the TV at an angle from the couch.

I think the example layout looks great, but there doesn't seem to be any room for a big TV.

Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• nycdweller
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    One other comment which is rather important:

To the right of my unit are other units whose windows face "up". That is, you can see into other apartments through the right window, and vice-versa. I wouldn't want to have a couch against the top-most window because I'd be seeing into another apartment (and vice-versa) and would rather avoid that.

In other words, project a line out to the right from the the right window and put windows along this line -- these are the adjacent unit.

So, my preference is to have a couch on the left wall so that you don't really see into other unit because the angle is too steep.
  • nycdweller
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks for your input.

I'd prefer the sofa to face a window rather than a wall. It's really a great view as you can see two bridges and a lot of downtown lights, even when sitting and especially at night.

I was considering having the TV be under the window on the long wall, and having a mount which allows it to be lifted up so that it's eye level. It would block out a lot of that window when up, but at least I could tuck it away when needed.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    There are some pieces of furniture where the tv hides down inside a console. At press of button it rises up for viewing. Don't know where you buy them or how much they sell for. Anyone???
  • mjmil
    11 years ago
    Here is one online http://www.uniquestylesolutions.com/ahp-brookside.asp not sure of the price. This would enable you to watch tv at night and enjoy some of the view and during the day it is just a console. Good Luck.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    Search for a tv lift, and also, have you considered a projector?
  • ripperdee
    11 years ago
    you could mount the tv on the wall between the window and closet, and put in on an 'arm' that bends out into the room. so when you want to watch, you can pull the tv out and point it towards the couch. when it's not in use, it pushes back to sit flush against the wall.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with pcmom1 and others that thought a hidden TV is a good idea to give you best of both worlds.

Newtown Terrace · More Info
  • nycdweller
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the input everyone!

What are your thoughts on mounting the TV in the corner and having it face the living room diagonally? I'm leaning toward this options because that corner is kind of useless anyway and having a TV there would be visible everywhere in the living room as well as from the dining area.
  • magarita
    11 years ago
    my dear, avoiding put your TV near the window. as you know... dusty coming from the window area almost.please keep you TV in good condition always. but, you can hang thick and huge length of dark colour of curtains as alternative. so, your dining area looks dim and pleasant while watching TV in daytime. what do you think dear?
  • lesliemahler
    11 years ago
    What about putting that big TV on the wall to the right of the bank of windows on the right (where the cabinet is in your model photo)? This would allow viewing from your living area, dining area, and even a bit from the kitchen. Using a swivel mount would allow you to angle it for perfect viewing. We have a 26' by 16' family room and can see our 42" screen (smaller than yours) very well from most points in the room. Whatever you do, the apartment is wonderful
  • James Edwards
    last year

I hope nycdweller is around to let me know if they ended up putting the the tv in the corner by the windows? I'm going through a lot of angst deciding on a similar placement in my place. Thanks