Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randers3

Which plant should I choose??

randers3
16 years ago

I'm looking for a fragrant house plant that isn't poisonous...we have pets. I would love to purchase orchids, but I'm not familiar with them. I know some are fragrant but I'm not sure how difficult they are to grow.

Comments (10)

• zusya
    16 years ago

What about putting jasmine in a hanging basket out of reach? My local botanical garden just started selling jasminum polyanthum and it smells heavenly. It shouldn't be hard to find, I think WalMart even carries a few varieties now and then!

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

I know Hoyas are popular and fragrant, when they bloom. They are attractive houseplants.

Jen

• paul_
    16 years ago

Many orchids are fairly easy to grow. But as with anything, it is always good to do some research first. Your options -- particularly if fragrance isn't an absolute must -- can be quite extensive.

Jasmines, if I'm recalling correctly, can be very difficult to keep indoors -- especially in winter with the dry air. Hoyas are pretty durable plants though.

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

I've seen conflicting information about whether Murraya paniculata is toxic, but people use it in cooking so I'm inclined to think it's safe. It's not the easiest plant (thirsty, hungry, needs bright light), but it does flower pretty much all the time, and the flowers have a nice scent.

• bihai
    16 years ago

The problem with most houseplants that bloom is that most houses don't provide enough light to get them to bloom. Unless you have a great highly lighted space or plan to provide some supplemental lighting, your choices may be limited. That's why orchids and hoyas are good, they can grow on windowsills and hanging in windows where the light is best.

• nanw_4wi
    16 years ago

Oncidium 'Sharry baby' is relatively easy to bring into bloom, and has a wonderful chocolate scent.
    I'm honestly not sure if it has any toxic properties.

zusya is right, I've seen Jasmines at WalMart durig the spring/summer, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oncidium Sharry Baby

• randers3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Sharry Baby plant is beautiful! I may look into that one. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

I agree with either Murraya or (Maid of Orleans) Jasmine..both can be grown and flower indoors, preferably the sunniest window you can provide (south or west)..Both flower throughout the year, more in summer..Maid of Orleans are easier to find.
    Neither are toxic.
    Randers, orchids are beautiful plants, but if you're just starting out, they may not be the best choice..for one thing, they're expensive..especially fragrant varieties..also, though some bloom more than others, I don't know of any orchid that blooms throughout the year.
    accentsforhomeandgardens.com sells Maid of Orleans..I bought mine there 4 yrs ago..they send nice sized plants at great prices.
    One last thing, though some orchids are fragrant, they don't scent up a room nowhere as much as Murraya's and Maid's do..Toni

• randers3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok... I just bought some Maid of Orleans jasmine from the website you suggested Toni. Now hopefully I don't kill it! lol If anyone has any tips on growing these I would appreciate it.
    Thanks!!
    Becky

• pepperomia
    16 years ago

I've never tried these myself, but I was just reading about them the other day....Scented Geraniums

Here is a link that might be useful: Check 'em out