Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bedtime_gw

Schefflera Amate vs Schefflera Amate Soleil

bedtime
11 years ago

I was at the nursery and I picked up a Schefflera Amate Soleil. It was labelled as a Schefflera Amate but I'm sure it's a Soleil due to its colour. It very obviously chartreuse green.

The question is what is the difference between the regular Schefflera Amate and the Schefflera Amate Soleil? Does the Soleil grow more slowly? I've been all around the web and I dont see much info at all on this. Haven't seen many pics of large (over 4 ft) Soleil's in homes either so I was wondering if that's possible with this plant.

My plans are to let it grow a to about 3-4 feet and then start pruning to make it look like a tree, with a bare trunk and a bushy top. That'll be a while before it grows that high. I'm guessing mine is about 2-2.5 ft so far.

Anyone have a Soleil who would like to share their experiance?

Thanx

Comments (4)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

sorry. im only used to scleffera arbolicola aka miniature scleffera

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    asked around and everybody tells me that there is only one specie S actiophylla. The others are all hybrids .
    gary

• bedtime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

teengardener1888,

Yeah, that seems to be the popular one at the nursaries.

garyfl,

Thanx for checking. It is definately a hybrid as most plants are. Apparently it has some advantages over non-hybrids, such as glossy leaves that are more resistant to mites, which is why I like it.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Not much info is right. I think its a cross of S. actinophylla and S.arboricola. For me in the SF Bay area the larger Schefflera is hit and miss..some big ones. S.arboracola is very hardy here. So I guess I should expect Amate to be 10 a- low end- hardy. But other things like..will it flower? No information on that. No info on growth speed. And a photo of one outdoors in California is nowhere to be found. I would think its going be less gangly and less invasive root wise,then the common Shefflera. ALL guesses.