Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hifromprovidence

Should I prune fig tree that's not waking up?

hifromprovidence
9 years ago

I wrapped my fig tree with blankets and tarps but this year there is just no sign of budding and in previous years the wrapping has worked fine. There are a lot of brown, stiff branches and I can't tell if they are dead but they're definitely not as bendy as I recall they should be. Should I do a very aggressive prune now or give it more time? It's almost June and no signs of life. Thanks for any input out there.

Comments (4)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Give it more time. You can prune after it starts pushing buds. That will tell you how far down the severe damage goes. Pruning now won't make it start growing any faster. The dormant buds down low just need time to figure out that the top is dead.

• hifromprovidence
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I'll give it time then. I was worried the dead branches would somehow hold up the new growth of buds.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

I have one also,an Alma that was bought late last year,that hasn't shown growth yet.It probably isn't the best plant for my area,as it was developed in Texas,but I'm trying anyway.
    It's in a pot,planted bare root and was in greenhouse over Winter to the low 20's.I scratched the bark and it's green,so there's still hope. Brady

• blackrag
    9 years ago

HFP! Let them be for awhile. All of my figs died back to the ground. I pulled the mulch away from the trunks this week to find all of them showing growth at root level.

My peaches, plums, pears and apples are all green, fruiting and buku growing. I am beginning to understand that figs are a different beast. I pulled figs other years that I thought were dead and probably weren't.

I have 6 in the ground and 2 in pots. All are just beginning to show signs of life.

It was a tough winter... (I have excuses for everything...)