Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittanyj_gw

is my peace lily dead

brittanyj
17 years ago

I got a peace lily from my brothers funeral 5 years ago, and don't want to let it go. I know nothing about anything to do with plants, i would water it whenever it started to droop,and it would always perk back up. I admit i didn't take much care of it. Over the past couple of months my 1 year old son has gotten in to the dirt(a bunch of times) The plant is green, but Wilted,lifeless. It is nothing like it used to be, its shrunken in size.I'm so ashamed, it is basically just laying there. The stems are not stems anymore. I switched it to a smaller pot. I do not know anything about rootballs, but it was about 2" long and white/light brown, not mushy but not hard. Like i said i know NOTHING! Sorry please help me save this plant

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Brittany, if all the stems are just lying there, and the soil hasn't dried out, I'd cut the stems back to the base. New stems/leaves should grow in the meantime, but will take time before it looks like it once did.
    Also, place the plant where your son can't get at it. Toni

• willcreed
    17 years ago

Hi Brittany,

There is nothing to be ashamed of. Five years is above average for houseplant life.

If the leaves do not perk up after the soil is thoroughly drenched and saturated, then the roots are probably dead and the plant will not recover.

If you email a photo to me directly, I may be able to provide more specific advice.

Will Creed
    Indoor landscaper

• amany
    17 years ago

I think you should give it time to recover. Even a few months if necessary. This is how peace lilies sometimes respond to having their roots disturbed.

Trim back any yellow / brown leaves as close to the base as you can and resist the urge to over water it.

I hope it pulls through for you.
    Amanda

• naturelover_mtl
    17 years ago

I believe it's worth a shot. I have a Peace Lily (variegated one) that was very disturbed (long story for the reason). The leaves were limp for a long time until I decided to chop down the plant completely. Originally I was going to toss it away. It's a good thing I decided to give it a chance because (as of last week) it's growing back with new leaves and flowers! That's not the surprising thing...the surprising thing is that it took almost 6 months since the day I chopped it down to start actually putting out new growth. Normally I toss out plants when they don't perform well but this variegated Peace Lily was a favourite. All that to say, just give it some time. At this point you have nothing to lose. Follow Amanda's advice - get rid of dead leaves and be very, very careful with watering.

• sooey
    17 years ago

My Peace Lily would give me fits. It's been my experience that unless the leaves are brown and crispy, it will come back. I travel a lot. Sometimes I'm away from home for two weeks at a time. All my other house plants are fine with the 'abuse', but not the Peace Lily. It needs more water, more often. I also found that it needs to be re potted more frequently. So, if your Peace Lily droops or even wilts completly...give it a good, soaking drink and a day or two and I'll bet it comes back. Good luck with it.

• brittanyj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for the tips. I ended up cutting back the leaves that were just laying there,except for one. Hopefully it will come back to life.Will- I will send you a photo of my plant. When i repotted it to a smaller pot, I wasnt even sure i did it right. This is the only plant I've owned so i'm not sure what i'm doing. I hope it is not too small of a pot. It was in a 10" pot,now it's in a 6" pot.

• elfinn
    17 years ago

Hi Brittany,
    I have a Peace Lily who was too close to the heat vent this winter and I couldn't keep up with watering it. (It had to be there at the time, only place safe from kitty chewing, has since been moved) It was perking up every time I watered it, but it seemed like it was drooping back down daily and it wasn't very long before the leaves were too dried out to bounce back. About a month ago, I whacked mine back to just a few of the healthiest looking leaves and also repotted smaller, which is a very good idea if the roots cannot fill the pot it's in, to keep it from staying too wet. I also used the magnificent coctail called Superthrive (try Googling it), and now there are about 15-20 new baby leaves coming up from the base. It doesn't have the grandeur it once did, but it's well on its way to becoming healthy again. Good luck on yours, and yes, as Toni wisely said, keep it away from your son...Peace Lilies are toxic.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Elfinn, I'm glad you're a firm believer in SuperThrive..I use it once a month and it benefits..(though I ashamely say this winter most plants were neglected and lost many) but I'm sure once I apply ST again, and some plant food, many will resume their health.
    I agree if there's a lot more soil than roots, a a peace lily should be underpotted..they seem to grow and flower more profusely when underpotted..Toni