Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmulrich_gw

Old orchard big problems

jmulrich
9 years ago

I recently acquired an old orchard. It had not been pruned properly for several years, trees were old, and in the last season it was not sprayed for diseases. The orchard contains apple, and peach trees. I went through and did a moderate dormant pruning on all the trees. Started my integrated pest managment sprays. Apple trees loved the attention, and a few peaches loved it. Most of the peach trees gave some blooms and leaves on one scaffold. The other scaffolds started silver tip and never went beyond. What is going on??? I have researched everything. Are the scaffolds dead?

Comments (3)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Sound dead to me. Do the scratch test. Scrape off the outer bark. If the inner bark is brown those limbs are dead.

As to what might have killed the peach limbs: neglect, disease, borers, bacterial leaf spot, cold winter, old age, etc. There are many candidates.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

"Don't plant a peach tree thinking that at some time in the distant future, grandchildren at your side, you will be able to look back and fondly recall this day. Plant peaches like you do tomatoes expecting their demise and planning for their replacement." ~Dave Griffin

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is an old post from Dave Griffin...

• fireduck
    9 years ago

good posts above....both apples and peaches have their "issues". Spraying is especially important for these two. Peaches are NOT long-lived trees.Like was stated...see what you have just below the bark.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional