Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nthatimoorosi

Can I place a TV screen on top of a fireplace?

Lake Michigan Retreat · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    The Inman Company
    11 years ago
    Good Morning and thank you for your question.

Yes, you can put a television above the fireplace but you will need to make sure that it is the correct size and at the correct height.

Have a great day!
    Shane
    www.theinmancompany.com
  • PRO
    Bali Interior Decor Solutions
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh, thank you so much for the prompt response. So, you mean the heat will not affect the TV at all or I should pay attention to the distance between the TV and the fire place? Must I pay attention to any dimensions?
  • PRO
    Omega Stone Mantels
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    A shelf will protect your tv but the problem is: with a wood shelf your tv will be too high, so its a better idea to use a stone shelf, your final proportion will be better.

Here is a example:
  • PRO
    Cynthia Gutzmer Pedersen - Licensed Architect
    11 years ago
    The sofa is blocking the bottom of the fireplace, so I can't tell if there is a hearth below your firebox (it looks high, so I am guessing there is). If there is a hearth, you are probably too tall to put a TV above your fireplace. You want to have a comfortable viewing angle (when sitting on your sofa, you really want to be looking more straight ahead than upward). My guess is that when you sit on your sofa and look straight ahead, you are probably staring at the top of the firebox - so if you mounted a TV above that, you will be looking upward and it might not be a comfortable viewing angle. Keep in mind that you also need some vertical separation between the top of the firebox and the bottom of the TV (so the heat won't damage the TV). So when all of that is factored in, I think a TV would be uncomfortably tall in this current situation. It appears that your built-ins flanking the fireplace are too narrow to accommodate a TV. If you love your house and are going to be there a while and you really want a TV in this room, it may be worth having your firebox lowered (remove the hearth and have the bottom of the firebox be flush with the floor - or as low as possible). Hope that helps!
  • PRO
    Bali Interior Decor Solutions
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you very much both of you. Now I know I will put the two together. I have seen they now have beautiful designs of fireplaces that are much lower and can allow the TV to be at a comfortable position for viewing. Once done, I will post it here so that others can learn from it. This is a very useful forum. I am new and I love it already. Thank you once more.