Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertrat1

Really Off the Beat Topic: Photography

desertrat1
15 years ago

Ok, I don't know if I've told y'all but I'm dabbling more into photography these days. After taking photos at our 20 acre Getaway in the spring, and taking photos in the Sequoia National Park Fathers Day weekend (and getting so many good comments about them) I decided to enter 10 of them into the AV Fair here in Lancaster. I had been thinking about it and then I was approached by two gals from Church to so a "demonstration" about my photography. I was a bit tentative about it since I don't like at all to get up in front of BIG groups. I asked more about what they expected me to do and if they wanted me to do some Bible Lesson related to it. One of the gals said that she was going to give the lesson about Creation and then now it's transformed into a lesson about "Perspective". She shared how she liked my photos because of the different perspective I give them by the angle I get them at. So, that encouraged me to just go ahead and enter photos into the fair. 1st place is like a $15 prize, 2nd is $10 and 3rd is $5--not much but I just want to see what others think esepecially judges. The only thing I know is that God's Creation and a REALLY Good Camera are what it takes. I don't know a lot more about other "camera" things. So, basically they wanted me to show examples of my photos and also share about the people or things that have inspired me in this area. One was my Grandpa and his View Master Personal Stereo Camera. He would take these incredible photos in the Sierra's on our backpacking trips. I remember as a little girl looking through those View Master's at those 3D photos and being in awe. I emailed my Uncle to ask him about the process and the camera. He offered up the two cameras of Grandpas to me. He's had them in the "estate things" as he calls them so I think giving them to someone in the family makes him happy. All I wanted to know from him initially was if that camera that I had seen Grandpa with was the same type if camera. So, he's shipping them out Fed Ex sometime soon for me. I don't know if anyone remembers these 40-50 years ago but it seems like a fascinating work of machinery. So, I've been dabbling in this for the last few weeks....so now I've got to find the other cameras (or pictures of them) that have been in my past and write my little sharing oration. I've already got my prints made up. I've got to mount them onto foam mounting board so they can be displayed at the fair. Todd my hubby will be doing that part since he is more meticulous in that area....

SOOOOO, wish me luck. I just wanted to share.

Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:127503}}

Comments (22)

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Jules - You've caught my attention! Photography is a passion for me! Good luck at the Fair ... and that is so cool that you are entering your photos. One thing will lead into another and you can share, share and share more ideas by doing small group presentations like your church ladies asked.

"Perspective" ... wow...that is a wonderful topic to parallel with your photos! You will have lots of fun relating to that topic!

So wonderful that your family is going to share those cameras...what memories...and you can have fun whether you'll be able to use those cameras or not. I have done lots of volunteer workshops with kids and love to take old cameras along and share a bit of history!(and lots of old photos, like tin-types, stero cards & old pics). So have fun with those cameras!

I will agree and disagree with you on one thing...GOD's creations is what it takes...but, a really good camera is not what it takes. It takes you...your eye, your perspective...thinking about the image when you take the shot...shadows, reflections, close-ups or far-away shots, shooting from up high, down low...not always straight on! And now with our digital world, you can manipulate your photos! Check your library...there are wonderful books on photography!

Oh gosh, I'm rattling on...I'm just so pleased to read your post. Have lots of fun! Jeanne S.

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

Thank you so much for all your positive reinforcement! Ok now, I guess I'm just gonna have to accept about the good eye thing. Others have said that too and I've got to hear that. I think I just really want to offset that. I don't want to be overly confident at this point---especially since I don't know a lot of lighting especially. I'm (by trial and error) learning about shadows, close up and distance, reflections and placement of the sun and how it all affects the outcome of a photo. For me, because I came out from a 126 and 35mm film era, feel very spoiled with a digital. It does a lot of the work for you! So, for the very most part I don't play around editing the photos after I've uploaded them onto Kodak Gallery. What was cool to see is that as I enlarged them and saw a preview it would let me know if the picture would be grainy or not being enlarged. My OLD dinosaur digital (Kodak215 ZOOM) took photos that I could only enlarge to a 5 X 7 (because of the pixel size). Sometimes I'm caught up in the moment of a good photo that I don't see everthing in the photo. One of the photos I'm entering is of a dead tree looking up at it and up close. On the trunk in almost clear view is a (what seems to be) Jerusalem crciket. Its an interesting thing happening. My hubby, Todd is a great photographer (with 35 mm camera). I was approached yesterday from a gal at church getting married (very small and low budget) this week. She wanted to see about me taking photos in B & W for her wedding. Well, I'm not great with PEOPLE pictures so I referred her to Todd. He's taking it on just as a goodwill gesture but he's never done B & W before. He takes REALLY great photos of people I know for sure! My youngest, Nathan, has bugged me since December to use MY camera. I've been quite stingy with it since Todd had dropped my dinosaur camera over a year ago.( I would turn it on and then it would immediately shut off. The battery compartment was bent slightly so that it would pop open and shut off)(and that is one of the reasons I got a NEW camera) (I guessis was a blessing and a curse all at once :-)) IT got to the point that I told Nathan that if he wanted to take picture so bad that he would have to buy his OWN camera. (I'm such a mean Mom!) Well, after his birthday in June, HE DID! He's crazy with it. BUT, he gets envious about my camera. I tell him still, no. IT's the one thing I have that I'm stingy with. I want MY wear and tear on it, not someone elses.

So, thank you again Jeanne for your encouragement. BTW, the class I'm doing is postponed until late August, which is just alright with me! :-)

HAve a wonderful Monday!

Love, Jules

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Jules, You go, girl!!! We are all here cheering you on! (cant ya hear us!!) That is a wonderful topic for the church photos and an incredible story about your family camera. I have always enjoyed your pics and I know that you have your heart in this and everything will turn out wonderful! Dont forget to just enjoy yourself and make it fun!! We will be waiting to hear from ya and see your new pics! blessings-sherri

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Daisy,

Thank you so much for your encouragement.These are the ones that I've entered. My hubby will mount them on foamcore mounting board. They do all the hanging hardware which is GREAT! The first photo was taken with my old camera and is only a 5 X 7. All the rest were taken with the new camera (Kodak Z812 IS) and are 8 X 10's.

IF you want I'll post the regular album for the calss I'm doing in another post....

Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie's Fair Photos

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

You do have a natural knack for taking pictures! I have had some photographic training and can see why everyone loves your pictures. You do a great job of framing and using light and shadow to compliment your subject. For example, the water lillies ... you have them centered just right where the rest of the leaves seem to radiate away from them, creating a frame with texture and movement. Not many people can take great pictures of simple rocks but you managed it with the way you took the picture to show off the horizontal lines, making it appear as if the rocks are stacked atop one another. And the view looking up the tree is fascinating. It gives the tree some majesty by using that angle while the clean straight lines compliment the ragged surface. The bug just managed to add more interest too! One of my favorites is the photo from beneath the purple flowers. The glow beneath the flowers acts almost like a beacon to draw attention to them. Wonderful job on all the pictures!

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luna LLena Feliz, (Oh, darn it! Where is that post that asked for everyones names? I need a cheat sheet! :-))
    Thank you for your specific comments. I took one photography class my Jr. or Sr. year of High School. I don't think I really learned anything since I don't remember having a camera...You know the lilies are from my pond out back. I don't know much about balance, movement, light and dark AND it takes taking a hundred pictures to get one good one. Thank goodness for digital so I can previer before EVER making a print. The rocks are funny. They are on our 20 acre Getaway in the mountains. I've named that particular middle of the three rocks Table Rock. It just is blanacing like that and doesn't move I know if two boys 12 and 15 are sitting on top of it. That other rock that looks on top is behind it about 10 feet or so. The rocks are always interesting because they look different because of the shadows different times of the day. The one of the tree is one of my favorites! And I'm not ever sure what kind of tree it was before it died. I think my photo makes it seem alive again. It could be a Cedar or Sequoia. I don't think it's a redwood or oak which were the other trees that were growing in the area. The last flower picture is of a zinnia in my Mom's back yard. I took that about 2 weeks ago. I took it between 4-6pm. I was just playing around with the camera to see what would work. I have a couple others similar to that but it did not flash. That one has the flash go off and that's what gives it that look. I went through all my photos and picked out about 30 that I liked. Then I had my hubby go through those and tell me which ones he thought looked good. WE could only pick 10. The ones he said basically are the ones in the photo gallery.

Again, thank you for your specific comments about them.
    Love, Jules

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I looked it up KATHY! Thank goodness for that wonderful post asking for all our REAL names. Now I just got to remember!
    Love, Jules

• wannadanc
    15 years ago

Jules - let me add my voice to the choir in praising your skills. Let me also assure you that sometimes this is innate. I recall when a friend, an art teacher, asked me where I had taken my classes in photography. When I told him I hadn't - he said "DON'T". He said that I had all the components already in place. I think he would tell you that, as well. You are doing it right without struggling, and how wonderful is that?? Keep it up!!!!!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

My 1st try at this. I've been lurking around for couple of yrs. I've held off joining as getting DD to give me 3rd lesson on getting pics on may take some doing. Julie, you are not far from me. I joined to give your DH bit of advice on wedding. Mine was-both Don & I loved the pic of our hands- ones with rings on. Strange but it is a great pic. Be aware of where the B & G are at all times as they are # 1 & be sure to get all parents & grandparents & other important people in photos. I'm no expert but I've seen my son-in-law do several weddings in our family & he has done a shoot for a magazine on another topic & a book for a private garden. Gift table, cake ,things like that are so important to couple. Review your own wedding pics & type out list for him to put in pocket. Don't hold up B&G too long if crowd hasn't eaten. Don't get into any long conversations or you could miss that "perfect pic" Have fun & enjoy. We had 3 weddings 2 yrs ago & another last fall. Pics were great!! I think this is too long! Sorry! Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I looked at your pics! You are on your way!! Lilies are beautiful. Love the rocks. Does anyone else "see" the desert tortoise in that top rock. the dark area is the eye, the edge is the nose & underneath I'm sure there is a mouth(maybe just my wild imagination) the brook & trees looks like a painting!! Hope you do well at Fair! God made nature & your photos are showing it off beautifully enjoy your presentation to the church, your pics will be a hit! Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I looked at your pics! You are on your way!! Lilies are beautiful. Love the rocks. Does anyone else "see" the desert tortoise in that top rock. the dark area is the eye, the edge is the nose & underneath I'm sure there is a mouth(maybe just my wild imagination) the brook & trees looks like a painting!! Hope you do well at Fair! God made nature & your photos are showing it off beautifully enjoy your presentation to the church, your pics will be a hit! Jan

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan,

Thanks for the advice and welcome to teh group! WEll, my hubby is (I think) just doing one or two for an announcement or something like that. Since they are in their 50's they are having a low key wedding. They are having one here and one in Mexico since she was born there....He was goign to take them last night at church but they decided that Sunday would be better. I took my digital camera just in case. With the software you can change a digital into a B & W or a Sephia style....So, either my hubby will use my camera as well as his 35mm or I'll take photos alongside him....He takes really good people shots. He takes really good kid shots as well (as long as they are not too squirmy) and even then they turn out....

YEs, some of those photos are of our 20 acres in Kern County! One of the reasons we bought in Dec. of 2006 was the rock outcroppings as they call them. Yes, that particular one is named "Turtle Rock" I made a little concrete brick sign for it as well as many others we have named. Most of the water pictures are of the Kings River in the Seqouia National Forest. Thanks for all your wonderful comments.

Love, Jules

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok y'all!
    So the Photography presentation last Firday night went fine. I had fun doing it. I would say there were only about a dozen ladies there but all seemed to enjoy themselves. After I did my presentation I scrolled through all my 214 (yes, I know--a Lot of photos) and talked just about every one! I'm long winded. BUT, I was in my MOMENT. As I went though I shared with them about the rocks I name. There were a couple that I hadn't officially named and they helped me with another name for one....Penguin Rock. To me it looks like a podium-they showed me a penguin. :-) I think they had fun thinking about it. IT was kind of like we were all laying on the grass looking up to the sky to see what formations the clouds were making! My whole intent was to get people to see the greater beauty and peace in nature all around us--even the small things! It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life. I knew I did that for at least two of the ladies there.

OK, so the Fair Photos. I went last Sunday there to the Fair. Out of the 9 I entered 1 won 3rd place. The one that won was my poppy photo. It was interesting as I viewed all the photos. A lot were good especially the ones that won. But then sometimes I couldn't figure out what the judges were looking for. I know they want a photo to "pop" and the poppies did in color. They have volunteers there who watch the building and make sure the photos are monitored. I spoke with one of the gals there and it just happened to be Kay Hendrickson, one of our local photographer/artists. She is known for her poppy photos. I think she said they received about 1800 photos this year.

So, anyways, just want to say Thank You to all for your encouragement and specific comments. I'm still taking pictures and have some set for next year! :-)

Hope all is well in your lives. That loved ones and you are in good health and spirits!

Love, Jules

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Congratulations on both of your achievements!! I went back & looked at your "Fair Photos" I still love the waterlilies but I can see why they picked the poppies. They really do "pop" brilliant orange color!! Some enter every yr in these Fairs so you did very well & probably picked up tips for next yr. Your photo presentation sounds like it went over very well, interactive is great plus. Now get started on next great batch of photos & post a couple here now & then! Jan

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunny,
    You know the water lily one I was not able to enter. When I went to enlarge it I could only make a 5 X 7---any bigger and it would have been grainy. I attempted--all photos entered have to have at least a 9" diameter and that one was 8 3/4! I think too that if that one was in there it would have done well.
    Oh yeah, I say it is a learning experience. Some of the photographers I've seen the names throughout the years. Most are professional now....but all have to start somewhere! :-) It's funny, this years theme for the AV Fair is Peaches N Screams. Just a few days before the fair opened I took a picture of some peaches I got from a local farmer. I captured the fuzz of the peach in natural light...Well, I found out the other day that one of my sisters absolutely HATES peaches because of the fuzz on the. So, I just had to send her the picture in an email that said nothing but, oh this is something that I know you love! I'm waiting to hear back from her! Hheheehe BUT, I thought if only I had taken this photos last year and entered it in this years fair....
    Love, Jules

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Hope your sis is still speaking to you after the e-mail!! Our Fair had some ladies that made jam every yr & after while not many entered as same ones always won. I don't remember if they had any photos or not. Reason I gave your DH advice on wedding was because relative's wedding was having friend do the pics. We all looked at each other & Heze got his stuff ready. Things did not go well. Just because you can take a pic doesn't mean much. Got to be"right" thing "right" moment-like your peach fuzz with light just so on them. And your ribbon grabbing great orange poppies! Probably couldn't get a 2nd pic that great!!Our fair moved so often I think it was at Hanson Dam this yr. Guess maybe it hasn't happened yet!! Jan

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunny,

Do you live close to Hansen Dam? I've been there only once back in 2001. It's a gorgeous place. Too my dad on a walk there when he was in the hospital not far from there. Don;t they have all those black plastic balls in the dam right now to conserve the water and keep the algae out?

Oh yes, Sherrie my sister called me last night. She had some other business to talk about so I still need to ask her if she got my email and opened it. Sometimes you really just have to grab the camera and go because you will not get any other opportunities to take a particular photo. Yesterday I was trying to get a photo of a Praying Mantis eating a Skipper butterfly. I think he thought I was goign to take it from him since he looked like he was dragging it off into the bush-didn;t get any good photos but I tried!

Yeah, with "people" photos its always a risky thing. He took the photos and gacve them all the prints. I'm not even sure if they are using them. They ended up getting married in a small setting here so they could have a ceremony in Mexico....but they still may have another here when they get back. I think they were goign to make their own prints which is way ok with us....less work for Todd (me for sure).

Love, Jules

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I'm at end of Valley before you head out to Newhall. Was horse country & lot of open space,now pretty well filled in!Hanson Dam is only about 10 miles but I rarely go that way. Children's Museum is going up next to it so should be nice eventually, park will be nice & then kind of fall on hard times.Ca.politics think you know!!! My niece is enjoying pics SIL took, last I heard none from person they paid!! Glad someone in family can take up the slack. I'm finding this computer, GForums & all this is just so much fun, digital cameras Wow!! Old age ain't so bad!! Oh, we just gave niece the CD they made up of all 900 plus pics& they can have the pics made up by whoever they want. You can go to drugstore & do it somehow! DD has made up videos with music for family & it's lot of hours of hard work. She manages to match up song to action of the people, such as tumbling tumbleweed for canoe going over etc. Usually she picks about 3-4 songs for 30 minute video & it just comes out great. You were lucky to even get near a praying matitis, they don't hang around after they see me!! Jan

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

CONGRATS, Jules! A 3rd place ribbon is mighty fine in that classification ... especially with over 1800 photos entered at the Fair!

Am happy to hear that your presentation was a success! I hope it leads to many more workshops for you...yes, it is so nice to "see" more things through photographs...makes you more aware of what really is out there for us! What a wonderful world we live in and what a blessing to be able to share it with others in such a beautiful way! Keep shooting! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:127505}}

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan,

Well you don't live far at all---about an hour at most. Glad to hear that your SIL took backup pictures of her daughters wedding! Yeah now with digital you can order online. For instance I upload mine to Kodak Gallery. I can order directly online. Then they ship the orders to a local photo store so you can pickup there and not pay extra. I just did that for the first time this week. I always enjoyed (ok humor me) watching the old Bugs Bunny/Looney Toons because of the music matched up to what they were doing.

Yeah, I have lots of praying mantis' The other day while dead heading some flowers I think I accidentally cut off a praying mantis' front leg. He ended up on my shirt and I screamed. He looked at me real mad. My son said he had only one front leg....so I ACCIDENTALLY took his leg. I repeatedly told him how sorry I was and not to be mad.....I just have the horror memory of when my brother (when he was a teen and he's 42 now!) used to rip a leg off of one. He'd hold in in his fingers and the thing looked like he wanted to hurt my brother back.....I don't like to hold them but I do definitely appreciate them!
    Have a great Thursday.

Love, Jules

• desertrat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Oh yeah, I'll continue to "shoot" photos. Teh poppies are what the Antelope Valley are known for. I'm not as wacky about them as a lot of folks are when they bloom out here.....I went NOT to the Poppy Reserve (where everyone tends to go) but to an area away from all that. This last Spring it was so orange it was blinding! We had a really great rain about a week before they all started blooming! I like to take photos of "other" flowers and things in nature...
    BTW, I LOVE your echinacea photo!!!!
    Love, Jules

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Yes Jules, I am close! Talking about poppies. I was emailing a friend in Palmdale asking her if poppies had bloomed yet, It was spring after 9/11. Was I surprised to get a message from FBI the following day!! Not meant for me, for headquarters as it said they needed to investigate this person further. At 1st my girlfriend & I couldn't figure out why, then I realized "poppies" has another meaning-drug trade- they thought terriorests were financed by drugs. Neither of us smokes or ever tried drugs so at least we knew the Feds were looking out for our safety! So I stopped asking her about poppies & called them pretty orange flowers. ! April as we headed to Palmdale for Easter dinner at bro's, there was snow on the ground & orange & purple flowers in bloom, so beautiful, only time I saw snow except on mountains 2 miles from me in winter. Jan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting