Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Tahitian bridal veil blooms won't open

My Tradescantia geniculata had tons of tiny white flowers when I bought it around 3 months ago but I realized I haven't seen a flower in a while, maybe 6 weeks. It's covered with buds, but they never open. This plant gets the same fertilization as all of my other potted plants, which are doing great. The mama basket is hanging at the east end of my front porch, so it gets sun until about 11 am. I've taken many cuttings, also, and they are doing the same thing in different pots hanging under trees. Wondering if this plant needs more light than I think...?

Comments (14)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hi Purple..My poor TBV hasn't been fertilized in 3 yrs..lol.
    I'd say, give it more sun and you'll soon see flowers.

Two years ago, the stems were 4' or longer. It bloomed. Because they kept tangling, I cut it back several inches..So far, it's bloomed throughout summer.

If possible, place yours in more light, but keep watch so it doesn't burn. Actually, my TBV is outside, temps have been in the high 90's, and humidity 65% plus. However, even before high temps/humidity, it flowered.

Try a brighter spot, and see how it does. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple, when you tried different locations, was thing while they had the same buds?
    Know what I mean? In other words, once a plant is set in a certain location, 'and it doesn't bloom or whatever,' it shouldn't be moved too soon. It might take several weeks before buds open. IMO, fertilizer has nothing to do with it. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heythere, Toni. Thanks again for the reply. OMG this plant has frustrated me this summer. I finally found a spot where it's blooming well - full sun from about noon until sunset. Agreed, fertilizer is not a factor. I think I've only used it once this year and that was months ago but the flowers are opening now. Thank goodness, these plants are extremely boring without them. I don't see myself getting weak and buying another one of these next year so I really hope my efforts at overwintering are successful.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Not the best pic, especially since it was taken as night crept up...

{{gwi:93463}}

This guy blooms all summer. I rarely water; it's main water source is rain, gets mostly east and some south sun. Bees hover around flowers. Coincidence?

Yeah, I agree, they can be boring w/o blooms, but there are other flowering plants a lot less exciting like Amaryllis. lol. Toni

Original Author
    12 years ago

Your plant looks very happy. Thanks for sharing your pic! Totally agree about the Amaryllis. Luckily the one I have is up against the house (perennial here) where I can hide the foliage behind other plants.

{{gwi:93462}}'s my plant showing a few flowers - finally! I set it on the back porch so it would show up better.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple, some of your leaves look twice the size of mine. Your TBV is doing fine, and it's blooming..Don't see any problems???

Keeping Amaryllis outdoors, year round, is a different story. But when space is involved, well, they take too much room..Same w/Bromiliads, although I have one and will soon remove babies.
    What time of year does your Amaryllis bloom? And what color are its/their flowers? Toni

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'm finally happy with it now that a few flowers are opening. Finally got it into enough sun apparently.

The Amaryllis was here when I moved in, blooms red at the end of April. In this yard I've found that and gladiolus bulbs that have been getting mowed with the yard. I don't know if they'll rebound or not. There were also some Lycoris radiata (red spider lily) bulbs under a tree. I could tell the foliage was from a bulb and one day I finally had the time and remembered to dig and see what they were. I thought they were tulips and put them in a more sunny spot but they started blooming last week, so that mystery is solved.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

I had no idea Amaryllis were hardy to AL.. Are they different speices? Wonder why they bloom in April.
    Do you have to do anything special to promote flowers?

Guess you don't have squirrel problems. lol. I planted Glads a couple times, but the squirrels dug them up in winter, enjoying their flavor.
    I have Tulips and other bulbs, but learned 'might be rumor,' if Daffs are planted near other bulbs, squirrels won't bother them.
    Since planting Daffs, squirrels haven't got to my bulbs, 'much,' so plants return yearly. Never bought Glads again, but might, someday.
    The area Glads grew has been replaced by 4 o'clocks. One year, (autumn) my grocery store sold seeds, .10 a pack. I bought a few packs, and sowed. I thought 4o'clocks were annuals here, but they're definately perrenials. Their scent is so nice at night, and look nice. Different color flowers...red, orange, yellow and an orange-red.

Spider Lily's are beautiful, but not hardy here.
    It's ashame your bulbs were mowed. Do you think they'll grow next year or die because they were cut while still green?

Original Author
    11 years ago

This plant is coming into its' own finally. It looked awful inside this winter, but looks great today!

{{gwi:93464}}

Toni, don't know why I didn't see your questions originally. There are many types of Amaryllis and I don't care enough to try to figure out which kind mine is. They're pretty common down here though, in several colors. I don't do anything to it, the dog has laid on it a few times. It put on a great show again this year.

This yard is full of bulbs that were always mowed until recently. Oxalis debilis, lycoris radiata, daffs, garlic, glads, as I find them I'm rescuing them. No bloom off the glads yet, but who knows? The abandoned house next door seems to have some previously undetected flowers, too. Hopefully these glads in my yard weren't shared from next door - there's some really ugly orange ones over there...

Lycoris radiata is not hard there but Lycoris squamigera is. If you have access to some, I highly recommend those.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well this plant kept growing and blooming beautifully until 2-3 weeks ago I noticed I wasn't seeing any open blooms again, and a lot of yellowing leaves. Since it had recovered so nicely this spring after being inside all winter, it didn't get repotted. Sure enough, look what was going on in the pot!

{{gwi:93465}}

Usually I repot as soon as I bring a plant home, but didn't do this one, at all yet. It's the worst root-bound plant I've seen in a LONG TIME, and a clear reminder of why I stopped using peat.

{{gwi:93466}}

When I chopped the root ball in half with a shovel, there were no roots on the inside at all. Literally none. I'm not terribly squeamish about such things but pulling the plastic thing out of the mushy, rotting roots was unpleasant (but I don't think a tiny amount of peat will bother my veggie patch more than the rotted roots would help, so wanted to keep that.)

{{gwi:93467}}

My hands got too dirty to take any more pics but I wiggled and pulled all of that peat away from the middle, then removed most of the roots that were around the outside edge. It fit easily back into the same pot, the hardest part was getting the hanging thing off and back on.

I'm so glad I didn't try fertilizing again or letting it go bone dry for longer periods. No more "it looks fine so I'm not going to repot that this year" for me. If it's been a year, out of the pot it comes. At least I know I'll find a pot FULL of roots next year, not a clot of empty peat.

And Toni, I did end up developing an affection for that Amaryllis and have moved it to the front yard where it can be seen next year (and not laid on by a great dane!)

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I think it's a good idea to repot/resoil more often than you want to. Yellow leaves are a good sign that it is past time. It's good to check things once in a while. But your plant did overwinter well!

Toni, you could plant Lycoris squamigera in your zone. They aren't red, but they are interesting. Amaryllis are large and take up a lot of room indoors, but you can make them go dormant and store them in the basement for the winter if you really like them and want to have them. Sometimes they bloom two or three times a year if you have them indoors like a house plant. But-sometimes they just take up space.

Original Author
    11 years ago

aseed, isn't funny how we can know something and still not do it, still think "it's ok for now, for this year...?" This is the 2nd-to-last plant to get repotted this year. The other one is no longer "maybe," it'll be this weekend. You're right and I wish I had noticed the yellow leaves in the "understory" sooner! I was busy enjoying the flowers while the roots were rotting. Total denial.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This plant had one bloom yesterday, and has about 20 today. So glad it likes what I did. Hope this might encourage others who wonder why their "everblooming" plant has stopped blooming to inspect the roots.