Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

OK, FINALLY got some fence boards up

lindasewandsew
14 years ago

I started curb shopping fence boards almost 3 years ago, and thought it would be nice if some of them actually got installed. After dragging them home, washing, sanding, cutting shapes, joining boards to make single wide boards, patching, priming and painting them, the back wall (60 feet) went up today. The sides are 27 feet up, and with a little luck, it won't take another 3 years to get them up. Linda

{{gwi:132648}}

{{gwi:132649}}

Comments (33)

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

sewandsew! Those are AWESOME!!! I love the dog-earred & I love how you cut-out some shapes! Your blue bottle gardens really look great with this backdrop! 3 yrs...well worth the wait! What a ton of work! Great job! TFS! Jeanne S.

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

LINDA!!!!! That is incredibly AWESOMWE! Isn't it amazing what we can repurpose???? Are you gogin to take some closer photos so we can see all the wonderful patters you scrollsawed into them>? I know I know....time tiem time....
    Love, Jules

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much. I was beginning to think that procrastination would'nt allow any to be installed, lol. Here are photos of some piles I drug home. I never considered pink, but got a gallon of mis-mixed Zinsser pink primer at HD for $5. These are pre school level designs to be sure, just whatever is easy to cut.

These old boards have held up very well. About 20% of most of the piles are lost at some step of the fix up because they break or are too warped, etc. A lot of them have been hanging for 30 to 50 years and are still good. Nothing puts a bigger smile on someone's face than asking if you can have the fence they just tore down, lol. Linda

{{gwi:132650}}

{{gwi:132651}}

{{gwi:132652}}

{{gwi:130289}}

{{gwi:132653}}

{{gwi:132654}}

{{gwi:132487}}

{{gwi:132655}}

{{gwi:132656}}

• katishooked
    14 years ago

What A great job u did. Such a unique idea.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

That is a fantastic skill you have with the saw! After you painted, the boards look like new and better than 'naked' cedar. Thanks for taking the time to post these!

Pam

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

OMGoodness, that is uttterly amazing. You should get a recycling, artistic and hard work award. I can't believe you actually got all that from the curb. It really makes a lovely backdrop for your wonderful yard. Is that an orange tree?
    Syble

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

sewandsew...thanks for the close-ups! AWESOME! I love it, love it, even more! In my post, the 3-story brdhse post has been here on our place for over 20 yrs....it is so GREAT to salvage old wood...that's why I love barnwood so much! It's a class act in itself!!! (as are your old fence boards)!!! Repeating myself, but GREAT RECYCLING! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

WOW Linda~
    Your fence has turned out utterly amazing! Makes such a huge difference in the look of your yard! You should be very proud of your work....just great!

• nana9
    14 years ago

beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaautiful

• akup_a
    14 years ago

Great job!! It is wonderful and so unique. Love the cut-outs. how much fun was it to put the puzzle fence together?
    vickie

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the nice comments. The tree on the left is an Australian yellow bottle brush tree. The one more to the right at the top is a pencil tree, which is a succulent. I've never seen any flowers on it. Nothing on the slope has been watered by us for at least 15 years. They only get watered when it rains. We used the sprinklers you see in the photo a looooong time ago, but never repaired them when they failed. I finally took them down yesterday.

I like to paint everything, and it would take longer to find boards if you like the wood look because they're made from different woods. Redwood looks a lot different than cedar. Sometimes they're painted, so would have to be stripped. I cut off and round the top edges, so water can't sit on them. It's been a fun, but tedious project (and will continue to be for another 54 feet, lol.) Linda

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

YOU are amazing!

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

What a wonderful way to recycle all those old "useless" fence boards! The fence looks amazing!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Amazing how it all looks the same with different boards. Great job & love your "happy fence" You will always remember doing each of those boards with all the cute things & even a 'happy-face'!! Glad it has warmed up so you can work on them!! Hope you have enough left to finish the fence otherwise I guess you will be "eying" fences all over town!LOL I would not want to try to figure out how to make the sides look like they should but doubt you will have any trouble as it looks like an expert did the back. Congrates on your beautiful back wall!! Jan

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Luv it luv it luv it! I like what you did with the fence boards.

Sylvia

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Its beeyuuuteefull!!
    And what a wonderful increase in privacy to your yard!
    Kathy

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

That is simply AMAZING!! You did real good,love it all.
    TFS
    Kathi

• Betsy Rheaume
    14 years ago

That's terrific, Linda! And what a lot of work. I don't think I could have stuck to it for three years--would have been onto some other great idea I had. LOL
    Bravo for your dedication!

• plumnellyga
    14 years ago

Just lovely! Your hard work is well worth every minute! Congratulations on a job Very Well Done!

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

OK....I'm trying to figure out where the pink boards are! I just love your fence, but it sure doesn't look pink to me! LOL!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

"SEW" PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! You have created a one-of-a-kind work of art.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Awesome job recycling! I love how you cut out the designs on the boards. How cute and unique! TFS and keep those pictures of your hillside coming!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Very impressive job and so creative! A very big congratulations on a job very well done. Nothing better than recycling and making something useful and attractive! A real sow's ear to silk purse project.

• jlily
    14 years ago

Your fence is totally awesome!! Recycled wood--no less! And fantastic designs cut into the wood. Take a bow or a pat on the back. Enjoy!! Jlily

• morninglori
    14 years ago

Wow! I am amazed at the transformation...and the vision you had!

• rafor
    14 years ago

Love, love, love the fence boards!!!

This is what I found to do with old fence parts: I made tables for my glass totems!

• catalinagrey
    14 years ago

Oh WOW! I love it! That must have been hard work - GREAT job! It is awesome!

• jazzygardener
    14 years ago

Your a creative recycler. I also used salvaged boards to fence in our back yard. It was a lot of work but, well worth it.

• homersgarden
    14 years ago

Love it! We are lucky to have a local fencing company up the road from us that puts all their tear down boards out in front of the business for people to pick up. We were able to get enough boards to do the sides of our steep slope (looks almost as steep as yours). We didn't want to spend the money to do the fence (other priorities) and no one really sees the fence but us. We did get new posts and framing for the fence, but used all recycled boards for the actual fence part. Ours is not as cool as yours (love the cut-outs), but it does the trick. Nice work! It was more work, but in the end a fence that would have cost us close to $2000 cost us $500.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

This is it! My inspiration fence! I can't tell you how many times that I searched for this fence and today, there it was!

• The_Kat
    6 years ago

A blast from the past! I remember lindasewandsew's steep hillside garden project. Love what she did with the fence boards. I also liked this idea I saw on Pinterest putting marbles in holes drilled into fence boards.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I really want to do some marbles in drilled fence boards. That is so brilliant with the sun behind it! Maybe I did see that on Pinterest. I thought that I saw it on this forum.