Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

This seasons big projects??

neetsiepie
17 years ago

What do you all plan for this season? We're FINALLY getting some spring weather, and a relief from the rain and I'm outside in the back yard mud bog.

This season we plan to put in a goldfish pond, finish installing the new fence, put in a pergola, a patio, a stone path, get poles up for DH's hammock, make new flower beds...ugh, I'm exhausted just typing this!!

Remember my Tuscan garden from last year? Well, it's all gone :Anyway, I've got A LOT of stuff to work on. I've made a few of the bells from vases and light shades, so I need lots of poles to hang them from. I'm thinking of taking all my old glass insulators and using them as finials on the new fence poles, too. And since the new fence has lattice top, I have LOTS of places to hang pretty new garden decor!

What else does everyone else have planned??

Comments (17)

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

Can't wait to see your insulators!
    I plan more paths, more bird houses,A privacy Wall or two that I can hang junk on. I really want to paint my house a calm green for a nicer backdrop for my stuff but that is a WHOPPER of a project!
    Also need to rework an existing water fall and find more rocks for a larger one. Hoping for a quiet hurricane season as we have to haul all our goodies inside and back out every time there is a threat.

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

The BIG project (on my wish list - I almost got DH talked into it ) is digging up the whole yard,leveling it out and laying sod . Our yard is so trashed from having 3 dogs - I Want to make it nicer so I can display my "stuff".
    I suppose it won't happen in this century .......*pout pout*

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Too many projects going on!! Lay new walkway with those great molds,2 flower beds on each side of the new porch,see if we can get some more trees down and burned(damaged from the hurricane) I just cleaned up my glass birdbath so I need a spot for it...mostly just work at remodeling the old homestead,I guess!! Need to replace 3 more windows and then they'll all be replaced,hang more siding,finish my kitchen cabinets( heck,finish the kitchen!)floors for laundry and kitchen. I need one of those money trees I keep hearing about! So many things to do,so little time

• shrty411
    17 years ago

LOL toomuchglass! I'm taking grass out to display my stuff!!

Doubling my front garden and adding a corner where the grass ends next to the driveway and sidewalk. Planning on tipsy pots in there.

I have a small wall around a stairwell I want to fix up,some sort of mosaic.

If I get that done and get rid of the WEEDS, I'll be a happy camper

Maria

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

well now, much to Dh's dismay - I have planted a large dead tree in my yellow bed. But first I painted it chartruse yellow! from there I'm not sure what I'll do to it... bottles, wire wrap... mosaic... tonight I threw out the idea that I might paint some blue and green sgiggles (in a Slowmedown style) all over it and he didn't freak out. To put it mildly, I think the whole painted dead tree thing has him tongue tied! LOL

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

Let's see...

Finish the greenhouse -- or maybe I should say start on the green house. So far just have the metal carport frame for it in place and then got sidetracked. Also want to build a rustic toolshed and a separate storage building.

Lay some sod in the front yard

Put up the picket and split rail fences I scavenged

Dig a trench and run power/water to the green house site

Re-mulch the flower beds

Dig a drainage ditch to divert the river of rain that tears through my daylily field every time it storms and washes away my seedlings.

Til' the veggie garden & get it planted

Dig two koi ponds w/water falls

Build base for my outdoor sink

And maybe somewhere in between all that I can squeeze in my wedding lol!

Squirrellypete

• shrty411
    17 years ago

LOL nicethyme, are you finally winning you DH over to our way? Or is he just numb to it??

Maria

• amesly
    17 years ago

Here's my To Do List:

Dig up & give away 7ft camellia bush (take cuttings first!)
    Transplant 3 or 4 rose bushes - want one?
    Create beds around roses in front yard
    Create rock garden w/alpines in back yard
    Do *something* with existing back bed
    Rip up/give away 3 yuccas in back yard
    Move compost pile
    Build firewood shelter or lean-to or something
    Create bed next to deck, replacing junk pile!

Anyone wanna come help? :)

• lindasewandsew
    17 years ago

My big project, probably summer/fall will be to make this cement pond go away for good. If you look closely at the pics, you'll see lots of money floating in it. It's current job is to sit in the back yard and look pretty, but it no longer earns it's keep, so bye bye. Linda
    {{gwi:134224}}
    {{gwi:134225}}

• nonacook
    17 years ago

This year I would really like to:
    1.Paint the propane and oxygen tanks that Bill cut for me
    just before he got sick.
    2.Put up the bottle tree that was started before Ivan.
    3.Re-paint the multicolored sphere made from barrel hoops.
    4.Do some more BBs.
    5.Make more wind chimes and bead danglers.
    6.Finish all the coffee and popcorn cans that I bent for
    plant 'envelopes'.

Never mind about all the totems and benches that need to be put together! LOL

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Well Shrty, I think he's "scared" LOL

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

My Big projects for this summer:
    *tear down and get rid of old cottage on property(as of today is is flattened)
    *put up new garage (goes up in 2 weeks, gotta get cottage burnt and cleaned up so carpenters can get to site)
    *move my garden shed(it's where the garage is going)
    *cut down 2 dead trees (they are where the garden shed is going)
    (busy next 2 weeks!)
    *put a roof on the picnic pavillion
    *put a roof over bar area next pavillion
    *put up a split rail fence to enclose parking area

okay, I'm stopping there. If I can get through the next 2 weeks, the rest of the summer should be a cake walk!LOL

Woodsy

• surfin_sandy
    17 years ago

amesley-> good luck in actually getting rid of that yucca! A couple years ago we thought we dug up one if several in our yard. Our 2nd born even broke a shovel digging that dang thang out ! Guess what? It's back...and it's as big as ever. I really don't know how to get rid of them permanantly, there is one by the house I hate too, milk weed grows on it every year, and a big black grden spider spins in web between the flower stalks. It's right beside my iris bed too, they don't look good together! It's always an ugly mess by the end of the summer.
    grrr..oh well...they must be there to remind us of our years in Texas.

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

Hmm let's see....
    Get the greenhouse done by winter (I said that last year too lol)
    Get water & power trenched to the greenhouse site
    Erect a salvaged split rail fence
    Build 2 more 20' x 10' raised nursery beds
    Create the garden beds that go around the greenhouse
    Finish building the gladiolus bed
    Dig out and install two koi ponds
    Use the salvaged porcelain sink & toilet to make fountains/water planters
    Recoat the log cabin
    Salvage or build a rustic equipment shed

You know, now that I look at this list I don't think there are enough days left in the year lol.

Squirrellypete

• katladie
    17 years ago

Gosh, y'all all sound so busy. Let's see:

Make a new bed, already done.
    General clean up.
    Divide yellow irises after they finish blooming, big job.
    Take cuttings and propagate and divide as much as possible for plant sales this fall, proceeds to build greenhouse.
    I am sure there's more, but that's all I can think of now.

Sharon

• cait1
    17 years ago

Well, I'm in the midst of my big project - Our Lady Garden. Still have to make two more trellises for the outside, finish the paving, planting the hedges then all the rest of the plants, and then gussy it up with all the junk finds!

But my biggest project this year will be the house renovation. We finally sold the land so now we're waiting for the plans to be drawn up and then they'll get submitted for approval. We've already checked out windows, bathrooms, got my Ikea kitchen plan done, found some really nice click flooring... we'll have to find a builder, too. DH's nephew is in the building trade and he's going to find all the right people for the job. My life will be in total upheaval but I can't wait!
    Cait

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

I've got a long list this year myself, although it is shorter than year's past. I hope to be able to sit and enjoy my handywork more often this year.

- Decorate the outside of my garden shed with found objects and garden junk I have made over the winter.
    - Put in some walkways from the garden shed to two new gardens.
    - Create new bog-like garden.
    - Plant all the things I have ordered over the winter and in co-ops this spring (very long list).
    - Make two more walkways to the bird tree and to DH's woodshop.
    - Try my own Hypetufa projects (I'm taking a class later this month).
    - Finish glass totems I started this past weekend.
    - Finish glass insulator hose guides.
    - Divide a bunch of hostas (big job, not looking forward to it).
    - Work on more mosaics and garden junk as the mood strikes me.

Sponsored