Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktiscaffeinated_gw

Can anyone tell me what kind of plant this is?

ktiscaffeinated
10 years ago

Hi! I'm wondering what kind of plant the variegated philodendron-looking thing in the front is. I'm guessing it's a type of philodendron, but I'm failing at finding it online. Anyone have any idea? I love it and want one for myself.

Normally I would just sneak a cutting and get one that way, but this is in the lobby of a swanky office building full of security guards who would probably not look kindly on me slicing on the plants. :)

Any help greatly appreciated!

- Katie

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

We call "sneaking a cutting " stealing. If that's your normal behavior (your word, not mine), do you act that way at your friends' homes, a favorite restaurant, a local botanical garden, or (even worse) a garden center?

Businesses like the swank office building will use the services of a florist or interiorscaping firm. Witb a little bit of sleuthing, a person could track down the name of that company and, contact them, and ask for the identity of the plant you admire.

Then, you can obtain the plant the way that the rest of us do....we buy it. Can't afford all of the plants that you'd like to have? Do without until you can. THAT'S "normal "!

As far as the identity of the plant goes, I'm tempted to say that it's one of the new Aglaonema cultivars. If Toni, sees this post, she is a likely candidate to be able to ID the plant....and probably tell you some good mail order options.

• User
    10 years ago

The variegated Philodendron looking thing is just that a Philo which I learned here is called Brazil. I believe Meyer Mike has shown it as had I. I still have a bit of it left.

As to the sneaking a piece business, yes I do agree it's stealing & as we're pretty serious tho' mostly amateur gardeners, we frown on it.

Think about how you might feel if several people did that to plants you've grown, I don't think you'd see it so mildly.

Make plant friends to trade with or sometimes ask where you see a plant you admire. Often folks are happy to share a cutting or two when asked.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

1 Philodendron 'Brasil.' I think this is the one you were asking about. It's not hard to find at BBS's.

2 Aglaonema
    3 Anthurium
    4 Bromeliad
    5 mystery

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I know I'd be livid if someone took a piece of my plants.I love to offer starter plants to anyone that wants one.

10 years ago

#5 Bromeliad leaves?

Agreed, individuals are usually quite generous with their plants that are big enough to share. Probably nobody to ask at an office building but, like Rhizo said, corporate plants are a business, not somebody's hobby.

Searching member pages can also help you find those who have this plant for trade, possibly for postage.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Number 5 is a bromiliad (like number 4).....I can see the flower hiding away. For some dumb reason, I thought he/she was talking about the Aglaonema....I guess that that's the one that attracted me. :-) Do you know which it is, purp? There are so many new Aglaonema varieties in recent years.

10 years ago

Me too, it's a beauty! I don't have a pink one... yet.

I try not to get involved with cultivar names, unless they're as specific as Philo 'Brasil' or reliably part of a specific plant name, like some Dracaenas. Too much temptation to collect by name, and if it didn't come with a tag, like you said, so many look so similar, there's no way to ever know for sure. If I like it and it looks different, I get it, trying to ignore the cultivar names on stuff like Ags, Sans, Begonia, spider plants, most Philos. I just want to know the species so I can care for it. You would know much better than I, aren't these the kind of names that can go to a same plant but vary by wholesaler/grower? Does it have to do with longevity/proven stability? From what I can see, there's maybe 8-10 truly different looking Ags, but about 100 names...?