Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryhawkins99

Drip irrigation system for dallas

maryhawkins99
12 years ago

Reading other threads there's apparently a lot I don't know about drip irrigation. I'm going to pay someone to install a system for me this winter. I need to water peaches, pears, apples, and jujubees. I have a heavy clay soil with lots of limestone around, hence it's akaline.

How many emitters per tree should I use? Would I be better off with micro sprayers instead of emitters?

Thanks,

Comments (6)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Jujube shouldn't need water in your area unless your soil is shallow. Those planted in fence rows around here are heavy with fruit and almost no rain for a year. The grass around them hasn't been green all summer in one case. Another got rain about a month ago. Some water probably won't hurt the fruit and might help crop load over time.

Whether you need a spray pattern over drip is mostly soil dependent. Clay gives a wide wetting pattern with drip so might be sufficient.

You probably read my comments on the apricot report thread.

• maryhawkins99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks fruit nut. Yes the apricot discussion prompted my question.

I've been growing jujubees in 3 different locations the past 5 years. The trees with almost no supplemental irrigation are growing well but have been very slow to fruit, and the fruit doesn't taste as good as the irrigated trees. The trees that get lots of water fruit by the second season, and grow so fast I have to Stake them as they become big bushes and start to tip over. Maybe eventually all the trees will fruit the same, but I'm getting old and impatient!

• scaper_austin
    12 years ago

Hey B,
    Its been a heck of a bad summer hasnt it? When I had my trees in Austin area I had to water a good bit during the summer to get any size going. I think in heat and drought like we deal with some water is needed for the health of the tree. I ran drip to some of my young apple trees this summer and I used the spikes that put out about five little individual streams of water and I used only one spike per tree but the trees are pretty small and next year I may need to add one more per tree. So far the drip system is working great as the trees have grown well in spite of the awful heat.

Scape

• maryhawkins99
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Scape , good to hear from you. Glad you found some land & restarted your trees. What have you planted so far? Where did you find some land? I've been lugging around a hose all summer, but the drought and 100+ degree weather is too much.

I'll go look at those stakes.

• scaper_austin
    12 years ago

Well,
    The only land so far is in my back yard in Lake Highlands. I'm keeping all my trees trellised to limit height and also growing some in pots. Gonna be a little diffrent than my large yard and land in the Austin area. Oh, forgot to mention the spikes I used are adjustable for flow rate and I only got them from home depot. Nothin fancy but they seem to be working well. My trees are all doing ok inspite of the bad summer but cant say the same for my lawn! Somehow my fruit trees end up getting all the attention in my yard.

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

Bowsmith 2 GPH 2 per tree line use rainbird drip tubing it comes in rolls of 250 500 and 1,000 feet the tubing 620 thousands a lot folks like call it 1/2 tubing its polyethylene
    (PE TUBING) Black with Blue strip.
    Bowsmith emitters have diaphragms with holes that stretch so partial past through you pack hole in inlet barb with sand it come out outlet barb once work way through diaphragms.
    Micro sprinkler stop up have to back flush out.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz